No fiber

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I missing something here? Has this person had a part of their stomach removed? I ask as my grandfather had this when I was very young and ate a fried egg every day, and always ate steak or pork chops. No veggies or fruit..
Colitis, IBS, Crohn's there are so many that there is no way to tell. Certainly not a balanced diet, though.
There is a pretty rare one out there, and for the life of me can't find it now, but I was just tested for it, there is an enzyme in fruit and most non root vegetables that interacts with gluten and causes severe allergic reactions from hives to stomach and intesinal issues all the way to "get the epi pen now!". It is often co-morbid with Celiacs but not always, sometimes the person can have gluten but not the fruit or veggies other times they can't. These people can have cheese, animal protein, other dairy products, but no fruit or leafy vegetables, some can have juice others can't it is a weird one.

When you say no fruits do you mean whole? or no juice or fruit flavoring either?.
No fruit, period. No veggies. Nothing 'fiber-ous'. This is a starter, not a main. We've got the main covered. Essentially I think she's living on carbs & meat. Tummy troubles. Don't want to make plain muffins altho I guess I could make fruity muffins and hold some out without fruit.
Panna Cotta.
Thanks. I might try one with chocolate as she's been denied all the other yumminess we've served.
Panna cotta is pretty nice all on it's own, but remember that you might need to increase the sugar if you put cocoa in, since cocoa is bitter. Or you could make the panna cotta plain, mix some powdered sugar and cocoa and dust it over the unmolded panna cotta. Lots of ways to go with this.
As for the companion, it's entirely up to you. We usually only make for that person, since they have the diet issue and the other person wants to be treated like everyone else.
Because most of the recipes I'm finding serve 8 I'm thinking I might make 2 just in case. I don't need or want 8 of them as we already had something else planned for everyone else. Should have thought of this earlier. But, we could just put off tomorrow's until the next day.
And, reading the recipes I'm realizing this is very similar to the jello wigglers I did a few months ago. Duh. Totally forgot those. (I think you mentioned making real panna cotta instead of using packaged ingredients.)
Panna Cotta is pretty simple, David Leibovitz has a great recipe.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/perfect-panna-cotta/
You don't need to use cream or half and half, plain milk works fine, it's just not as rich. Essentially it's a milk jello that is light on gelatine. You can make the 4 or 8 servings and use immediately what you need and keep the rest in the fridge to serve another day. Or you can serve this one plain and dress it up for everyone else. It's also rather easy to just warm up again and reset.
That looks fun, easy, and can be kinda fancy. I'm going to file that one away, thanks!

Madeleine said:
Need some sort of starter with no fiber. No fruits, no whole grains.
What else is there? White bread and processed sausage?
There ya go, a sausage roll. or how about NO STARTER. When I have someone with an iffy diet, they get the main meal and nuthin' but the main meal..
All she has had is the main course and it's kind of sad because everyone else is enjoying all this great local fruit. Do not know what it is that is wrong because I don't want to ask in front of other guests. Eggs, sausage, french toast with white bread, pancakes, bacon- all of that has been fine. Wanting to do something special because she's being such a good sport. No demanding I make something different for her. Just accepting that's the way it is.

Madeleine said:
There ya go, a sausage roll. or how about NO STARTER. When I have someone with an iffy diet, they get the main meal and nuthin' but the main meal..
All she has had is the main course and it's kind of sad because everyone else is enjoying all this great local fruit. Do not know what it is that is wrong because I don't want to ask in front of other guests. Eggs, sausage, french toast with white bread, pancakes, bacon- all of that has been fine. Wanting to do something special because she's being such a good sport. No demanding I make something different for her. Just accepting that's the way it is.
Madeleine said:
All she has had is the main course and it's kind of sad because everyone else is enjoying all this great local fruit.
Can she have dairy? I'm a little late to the party on this one but had a guest on Sunday morning who couldn't have fruit - he wanted oatmeal for his main. I was making the breakfast banana splits for everyone else so he had plain greek yogurt, drizzled with honey and sliced almonds on top.

I'm sorry - I know I'm way too late to be of much help, but a thought for next time ?????
A pannacotta is a great starting point and based on the no fruit because it's fiber issue I'm thinking you could use fruit oils as flavoring ..... the taste is amazingly bright without any actual fruit ...... and this could be a great excuse to experiment with the fake flavors: Lemon, orange and raspberry are usually real, strawberry is usually fake (but great to keep in the pantry when there is something "missing".

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
All she has had is the main course and it's kind of sad because everyone else is enjoying all this great local fruit.
Can she have dairy? I'm a little late to the party on this one but had a guest on Sunday morning who couldn't have fruit - he wanted oatmeal for his main. I was making the breakfast banana splits for everyone else so he had plain greek yogurt, drizzled with honey and sliced almonds on top.
I thought about doing those banana splits and just giving her the yogurt, no fruit, no granola, no nuts. There is negligible fiber in yogurt.

Back