No fiber

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Need some sort of starter with no fiber. No fruits, no whole grains.

When you say no fruits do you mean whole? or no juice or fruit flavoring either?

You could do a flourless latke, shredded potatoes, a little beaten egg, some chives, salt and pepper. If you do them small like the size of silver dollar pancakes they could be super fancy with a chive sprig or chive flower, a dolop of sour cream or creme fraise or even apple sauce for those that might like it.
Or a fresh summer baby greens salad with cheese and toasted sunflower seeds a couple of edible flowers will really make it pop and be very summery. K just did shrimp cocktail the other day.

When you say no fruits do you mean whole? or no juice or fruit flavoring either?.
No fruit, period. No veggies. Nothing 'fiber-ous'. This is a starter, not a main. We've got the main covered. Essentially I think she's living on carbs & meat. Tummy troubles. Don't want to make plain muffins altho I guess I could make fruity muffins and hold some out without fruit.

When you say no fruits do you mean whole? or no juice or fruit flavoring either?.
No fruit, period. No veggies. Nothing 'fiber-ous'. This is a starter, not a main. We've got the main covered. Essentially I think she's living on carbs & meat. Tummy troubles. Don't want to make plain muffins altho I guess I could make fruity muffins and hold some out without fruit.
Panna Cotta.

Panna Cotta.
Thanks. I might try one with chocolate as she's been denied all the other yumminess we've served.

Second question- should the dining companion in any case like this get:
  • What the tablemate is getting?
  • What everyone else is getting?
  • A choice between the 2?
I would only do this for the starter. The tablemate usually gets what everyone else is getting but I can make enough of a starter to offer that person a choice.

Panna Cotta.
Thanks. I might try one with chocolate as she's been denied all the other yumminess we've served.
Panna cotta is pretty nice all on it's own, but remember that you might need to increase the sugar if you put cocoa in, since cocoa is bitter. Or you could make the panna cotta plain, mix some powdered sugar and cocoa and dust it over the unmolded panna cotta. Lots of ways to go with this.
As for the companion, it's entirely up to you. We usually only make for that person, since they have the diet issue and the other person wants to be treated like everyone else.

I would only do this for the starter. The tablemate usually gets what everyone else is getting but I can make enough of a starter to offer that person a choice..
I would give the companion a choice.
Off topic just a little, a fellow innkeeper just told me that the GF guest she just had stated that her husband also had to eat a GF breakfast because she was so sensitive that if she kissed him and he had eaten gluten, it would cross contaminate and make her ill.
Yowzer!!

Panna Cotta.
Panna cotta is pretty nice all on it's own, but remember that you might need to increase the sugar if you put cocoa in, since cocoa is bitter. Or you could make the panna cotta plain, mix some powdered sugar and cocoa and dust it over the unmolded panna cotta. Lots of ways to go with this.
As for the companion, it's entirely up to you. We usually only make for that person, since they have the diet issue and the other person wants to be treated like everyone else.
Because most of the recipes I'm finding serve 8 I'm thinking I might make 2 just in case. I don't need or want 8 of them as we already had something else planned for everyone else. Should have thought of this earlier. But, we could just put off tomorrow's until the next day.
And, reading the recipes I'm realizing this is very similar to the jello wigglers I did a few months ago. Duh. Totally forgot those. (I think you mentioned making real panna cotta instead of using packaged ingredients.)

I would only do this for the starter. The tablemate usually gets what everyone else is getting but I can make enough of a starter to offer that person a choice..
I would give the companion a choice.
Off topic just a little, a fellow innkeeper just told me that the GF guest she just had stated that her husband also had to eat a GF breakfast because she was so sensitive that if she kissed him and he had eaten gluten, it would cross contaminate and make her ill.
Yowzer!!
That's like the story of the teenager who supposedly died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich. Which was not the case.
I wonder how long you could stay married to someone whose allergies preclude you eating foods you love. We've had to change shampoos here but that's not food.

All I can say is "good grief!" What would these people do if they stayed in a hotel and ate in a restaurant. You are not a restaurant!!!
I guess it is a good thing we retired as I could not put up with these kinds of requests. I would tell them to find another place to stay..sorry.

Panna Cotta.
Because most of the recipes I'm finding serve 8 I'm thinking I might make 2 just in case. I don't need or want 8 of them as we already had something else planned for everyone else. Should have thought of this earlier. But, we could just put off tomorrow's until the next day.
And, reading the recipes I'm realizing this is very similar to the jello wigglers I did a few months ago. Duh. Totally forgot those. (I think you mentioned making real panna cotta instead of using packaged ingredients.)
Panna Cotta is pretty simple, David Leibovitz has a great recipe.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/perfect-panna-cotta/
You don't need to use cream or half and half, plain milk works fine, it's just not as rich. Essentially it's a milk jello that is light on gelatine. You can make the 4 or 8 servings and use immediately what you need and keep the rest in the fridge to serve another day. Or you can serve this one plain and dress it up for everyone else. It's also rather easy to just warm up again and reset.

Panna Cotta.
Panna Cotta is pretty simple, David Leibovitz has a great recipe.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/perfect-panna-cotta/
You don't need to use cream or half and half, plain milk works fine, it's just not as rich. Essentially it's a milk jello that is light on gelatine. You can make the 4 or 8 servings and use immediately what you need and keep the rest in the fridge to serve another day. Or you can serve this one plain and dress it up for everyone else. It's also rather easy to just warm up again and reset.
That's the one I'm using. I just walked to the store and bought cream. By golly, I'm using it! I also got some semi sweet choco chips to melt into it. Setting it up in margarita glasses. Putting some more of the mini chips on top. And, to gild the lily, a little whipped cream.
I'm basing the whole recipe on using one gelatin pkt. However many servings that makes.

Madeleine said:
Need some sort of starter with no fiber. No fruits, no whole grains.
What else is there? White bread and processed sausage?
There ya go, a sausage roll. or how about NO STARTER. When I have someone with an iffy diet, they get the main meal and nuthin' but the main meal.

Am I missing something here? Has this person had a part of their stomach removed? I ask as my grandfather had this when I was very young and ate a fried egg every day, and always ate steak or pork chops. No veggies or fruit.

I think you should serve her some ex-lax as a first course. She'll need it with no fiber in her diet!
devil_smile.gif

Am I missing something here? Has this person had a part of their stomach removed? I ask as my grandfather had this when I was very young and ate a fried egg every day, and always ate steak or pork chops. No veggies or fruit..
Colitis, IBS, Crohn's there are so many that there is no way to tell. Certainly not a balanced diet, though.

Back