No Good Deed...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Just a quick rant, I know I did the right thing but people still suck and I'm still losing sleep over it.
The very last of our winter, deep-discounted, no breakfast people were here this week. For the super low rate we required 100% pre-payment, cancellation could be made with refund up to 7 days out. This was two families. The original reservation was for one room, two nights. 2 months after the initial reservation, the woman called and requested to change their dates of stay to the following week, and add an additional room for their friends with whom they would be traveling. Fine, I sent a new email confirmation with the updated dates of stay (still 2 nights) and for the additional charge that would be placed for the second room.
Guests arrive, everything is hunky dory until the following morning when we see them packing up all their stuff. I explain that they had booked and pre-paid for two nights and that we do not do refunds on this discounted rate. I offered that since they had already paid for the second night, they were welcome to keep the touring materials we offer everyone (which we normally need back by 11 am checkout) and the keys and to come back and utilize their rooms and the Inn's facilities at their leisure throughout the day. They (seemingly happily) agreed to this. We put out the full afternoon snack/tea spread and they demolished it. They were back several times throughout the afternoon and finally returned everything and checked out at 4:30 pm.
Two days later I receive the email that they want half their money back, their visit was very awkward because we "double billed" them and as they themselves are Visa/MC merchants they "too know the appeal processes that are in place, and the outcomes of Visa's track record with buyers." Yes, I can read the veiled threat genius.
I have ALL the documentation and I know I will win the inevitable charge back, but why would they accept all that we offered that day and then try to strong arm us? We are thoroughly disgusted.

No good deed goes unpunished...or something like that:-( Pity there are people like this out in our world.

Don Draper said:
I have ALL the documentation and I know I will win the inevitable charge back, but why would they accept all that we offered that day and then try to strong arm us? We are thoroughly disgusted.
Because that's the kind of people they are. Did you reply back that you're not sure what they mean by 'double-billing' as you charged them for exactly what they reserved?

pita.gif

Don Draper said:
Because that's the kind of people they are. Did you reply back that you're not sure what they mean by 'double-billing' as you charged them for exactly what they reserved?.
Oh yes...a very lengthy and very professional re-telling of all the details, because I am sure this will all eventually get forwarded to Visa. At least he emailed his complaint (about getting charged for a night that he didn't use), so that when I win the chargeback and he then goes on the TA rampage about something else being wrong I will have some ammo.
Seriously, it would have been less painful to just refund the money. But I sat and thought long and hard about what I would tell someone here on the forum if they'd presented the same scenario. I am forever saying have your policy and stick to it, so that's what I did. Plus it really aggravated me that he went right to threats, and that he didn't have the nerve to say anything in person but he's so very resolute behind his computer screen.

Don Draper said:
Because that's the kind of people they are. Did you reply back that you're not sure what they mean by 'double-billing' as you charged them for exactly what they reserved?.
This is appalling behaviour of the highest order.
If they are awful enough to challenge the charge you will surely win - but what a distressing waste of time, effort and heartache they will have put you through.
No idea why so many people think accommodation providers should give their time and product away for free - would these same people walk into Bloomingdales and expect to be handed an Armani coat for nothing?!

Don Draper said:
Oh yes...a very lengthy and very professional re-telling of all the details, because I am sure this will all eventually get forwarded to Visa. At least he emailed his complaint (about getting charged for a night that he didn't use), so that when I win the chargeback and he then goes on the TA rampage about something else being wrong I will have some ammo.
Seriously, it would have been less painful to just refund the money. But I sat and thought long and hard about what I would tell someone here on the forum if they'd presented the same scenario. I am forever saying have your policy and stick to it, so that's what I did. Plus it really aggravated me that he went right to threats, and that he didn't have the nerve to say anything in person but he's so very resolute behind his computer screen.
You did give so much extra, tho. You didn't have to let them come back or anything like that. They were leaving. Check-out is at 11. Here's your hat, what's your hurry? They STAYED, they ate, they refreshed themselves, they USED their room until 4:30. 5 hours AFTER check-out.
It was their choice to leave. Of course, if they know everything, they know to state the conditions were deplorable, NOT that they changed their minds. Someone else just had that happen.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.
pita.gif
Having gone through 2 chargebacks, 1 attemped chargeback and a totally ridiculous BBB claim in retaliation last year, I know the emotional toll it takes out of you. Nonetheless, try to turn your thinking around and feel good about how you are standing up for yourself. It sounds like they never mentioned in their e-mails to you that they were complaining about any of the conditions of your place, so it's a no brainer that you will win.
I'm proud of you that you are standing up for what's right. What you're doing will definitely help the next innkeeper these ingrates encounter down the road. Thank you!

Don! I am so sorry and so mad.
After having horrible guests last weekend that I am still upset over, I know how it feels to have someone walk over you and kick sand in your face and then say "Oh and by the way...do what I say or else"
Easy to say stick to polices but we are in the people business, and if they cut is we bleed. (at least not all over someone's sheets and quilts that they have to spend $25 trying to get clean!) Opps, did I just add my own mini-rant from 5 minutes ago in there...sorry, just trying to be funny!)
Hang in there innmate, you did the right thing, you showed hospitality and they are just losers.

There is a wonderful British word that rhymes with my old profession that sums up these guys.
.... what did I do before this? I was a banker.

Don Draper said:
You did give so much extra, tho. You didn't have to let them come back or anything like that. They were leaving. Check-out is at 11. Here's your hat, what's your hurry? They STAYED, they ate, they refreshed themselves, they USED their room until 4:30. 5 hours AFTER check-out.
It was their choice to leave. Of course, if they know everything, they know to state the conditions were deplorable, NOT that they changed their minds. Someone else just had that happen.
Alibi Ike said:
Hi - it was me... and they did fight the charge and I did prevail. Pita's stink and even Visa can read between the lies. Just keep the records and if they fight the charge send it all in. And do not be surprised when the story is that your place was 'not as described'!

There is a wonderful British word that rhymes with my old profession that sums up these guys.
.... what did I do before this? I was a banker..
The Tipsy Butler said:
.... what did I do before this? I was a banker.
Got it in one. ;)

Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Hi - it was me... and they did fight the charge and I did prevail. Pita's stink and even Visa can read between the lies. Just keep the records and if they fight the charge send it all in. And do not be surprised when the story is that your place was 'not as described'!
copperhead said:
Pita's stink and even Visa can read between the lies.
Great play on words there.

Had a rude review on trip and I made me wonder (becuase they said how nice we were) if people actually understood how damaging to small businesses like ours what they were doing they would think twice? I know some wouldn't cos they are gimps but I think a lot of people just genuinly don't think.

Just curious. Did they ever say why they were leaving early?.
I don't know, I honestly think they thought they changed to only one night. This woman was a PITA from the beginning, I was hoping she wouldn't book at all (90 phone calls, one million questions, etc...all based around the theme that she was too important/lazy to read anything on our website). I believe they only booked because of the steep discount in the first place (another reason I'm glad we're not doing it any longer).

Don! I am so sorry and so mad.
After having horrible guests last weekend that I am still upset over, I know how it feels to have someone walk over you and kick sand in your face and then say "Oh and by the way...do what I say or else"
Easy to say stick to polices but we are in the people business, and if they cut is we bleed. (at least not all over someone's sheets and quilts that they have to spend $25 trying to get clean!) Opps, did I just add my own mini-rant from 5 minutes ago in there...sorry, just trying to be funny!)
Hang in there innmate, you did the right thing, you showed hospitality and they are just losers..
Thanks JB. It is a big emotional toll (on me, DH could care less but then I am the one who will deal with the chargeback documentation). Plus it's just the old "I did what I thought was best and it obviously wasn't good enough" bit.
Bottom line though, this is why I'm glad we offer an online booking discount...when they book online and check the policies box and have to enter their own dates of stay it just gives you so much more leverage when a dispute comes up.

Don, all I am going to say is this - Poor baby, it will get better. You WILL prevail and will then be so proud of yourself that we will not be able to stand you for that day when we are ducking all the buttons popping off your shirt in pride for standing up for YOUR POLICIES!

Back