No guests and liking it!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!.
had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!
We had this happen our first year here. It was awful and took 2 days to clear out the blockage & $10,000 in repairs, only half of which was paid by insurance. The room affected was offline for 6 weeks while the walls were removed, replaced & the entire room repapered, including the bedroom. All the carpet had to come out. (The guests in the room didn't bother to tell us what was going on until the 'flood' had spread outside the bathroom.) We had to have the inside of the walls and the floor boards sprayed with disinfectant to keep mold from forming. We tossed some of the furniture and all of the linens that the guests had left on the floor, including the coverlets & pillows.
I hope it goes a lot faster (and cheaper) for you!
BTW, opened the box of Yorkshire tea and it's wonderful!

It is always difficult for us because we have to do our maintenance during the slow times, which of course means you are spending money while not much is coming in. And really, with these ridiculously cold temperatures, I do wish we could just shut down entirely. One room last night which means heating everything and it's just not worth it. At least they did the special discount with no breakfast so I don't have to put on the "song and dance" this morning.
Our PO's closed completely December - March. It worked for them because they each had a pension coming in. Ah, pensions...something my generation will NEVER know the meaning of! We'll be working 'til they put us in the ground..
Don...can you explain the 'special discount' you're offering? No breakfast???
Weekdays we are offering $99/night with no breakfast...we set out muffins and coffee from 8-10. Weekends we do $125/night and our regular full breakfast.

It is always difficult for us because we have to do our maintenance during the slow times, which of course means you are spending money while not much is coming in. And really, with these ridiculously cold temperatures, I do wish we could just shut down entirely. One room last night which means heating everything and it's just not worth it. At least they did the special discount with no breakfast so I don't have to put on the "song and dance" this morning.
Our PO's closed completely December - March. It worked for them because they each had a pension coming in. Ah, pensions...something my generation will NEVER know the meaning of! We'll be working 'til they put us in the ground..
Don...can you explain the 'special discount' you're offering? No breakfast???
Weekdays we are offering $99/night with no breakfast...we set out muffins and coffee from 8-10. Weekends we do $125/night and our regular full breakfast.
Don Draper said:
How is that working? Have you had any problems with guests not understanding what you're offering? Do you 'attend' brekkie or just leave them to it on their own?

had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!.
whattha.gif
cry_smile.gif
Sorry.........

whattha.gif
cry_smile.gif
Sorry.........

The weather is soo cold here I have to keep the heating ticking over to make sure the pipes don't freeze. So might as well have a few bodies in. I have denise staying one of our regulars (mentioned in previous thread she likes to clean) and she is deep cleaning all the bedrooms while she is here (we all strive to make our guests happy i guess) been catching up with all of my paperwork and marketing for conferences for next year. I have also done all my inspection paperwork and they have said it is probably going to be 9 weeks so I want to get as much done in this quiet time as I can..
A guest that likes to clean - major bonus for you!!!
It kind of wiggs me to be paid to have someone stay and clean but it makes her happy. each to their own. She has done rooms 1,2,5,6, and 10 and they look amazing especially the bathrooms. I was soo looking forward to a lie in tomorro (ie tuesday) but 5 rooms which were supposed to be comming tomorro have called to say can they come for 3 nights from tonight cos they are worried about the weather. GRRR not sad about the extra money but I WANT MY DUVET!!!!!
It kind of wiggs me to be paid to have someone stay and clean but it makes her happy. each to their own.
I know what you are saying. I have a sort of regular who does that. One day DH was coming down the hall and thre she was, bent over, rump up! DH asked, "What are you doing?" She looked around and replied, "It needs cleaning and Kathleen doesn't give a sh**." and she proceeded to finish what she started. She loves to sit on the porch reading with her breakfasts, so I set up a table with all the "works" of the dining room and serve her oatmeal with a dish of blueberries on the side - the breakfast SHE wants.

The commercial dishwasher & 3rd sink is in the inn's kitchen and half the laminate flooring is laid in the innkeepers house! The place is a wreck around here, but my spirits are up because after the flooring, the old inn dishwasher will be installed in the innkeepers house (never had a dishwasher there), new slider door/window to our deck and new entry door will be installed. It feels like the innkeepers house can actually be a comfortable place to live after all these years. Lots still to do, but it's on it's way.
teeth_smile.gif

The commercial dishwasher & 3rd sink is in the inn's kitchen and half the laminate flooring is laid in the innkeepers house! The place is a wreck around here, but my spirits are up because after the flooring, the old inn dishwasher will be installed in the innkeepers house (never had a dishwasher there), new slider door/window to our deck and new entry door will be installed. It feels like the innkeepers house can actually be a comfortable place to live after all these years. Lots still to do, but it's on it's way.
teeth_smile.gif
You will be sooo much happier when it is done and you won't be able to undertstand why you didn't do it before! (like we all do) sewage problem fixed (materials about $10 handyman $60) so very reasonably priced will eventually have to have a new bedroom carpet but that can wait. however was checking in a guest to the top floor and discovered a leak on the top landing, on the phone to the handyman who was out buying plumbing supplies and an over flow pipe had frozen and backed up the water to the tank which was then bluging to capacity and causing a leak from one of the joints! so that is now fixed but when it dries it is going to be a paint job. it is why we cannot close off room right now I am trying to rotate guests through them to keep the plumbing ticking over. Today is another day after all lol.

teeth_smile.gif
Congratulations! I know just how you feel!

teeth_smile.gif
You will be sooo much happier when it is done and you won't be able to undertstand why you didn't do it before! (like we all do) sewage problem fixed (materials about $10 handyman $60) so very reasonably priced will eventually have to have a new bedroom carpet but that can wait. however was checking in a guest to the top floor and discovered a leak on the top landing, on the phone to the handyman who was out buying plumbing supplies and an over flow pipe had frozen and backed up the water to the tank which was then bluging to capacity and causing a leak from one of the joints! so that is now fixed but when it dries it is going to be a paint job. it is why we cannot close off room right now I am trying to rotate guests through them to keep the plumbing ticking over. Today is another day after all lol.
Whew! I guess it could have been worse? Always aggravating to deal with stuff like that..........

teeth_smile.gif
Thanks Alibi. Have you chosen your flooring yet? We went with the oak veneer from IKA and it's looking terrific. It's a great price too, at $1.15 sq ft.

teeth_smile.gif
Thanks Alibi. Have you chosen your flooring yet? We went with the oak veneer from IKA and it's looking terrific. It's a great price too, at $1.15 sq ft.
We've looked but are at an impasse right now. I have to paint first, then floors. But the ceilings need to be painted first and no one has done them yet. I guess I need a cattle prod.

teeth_smile.gif
We've looked but are at an impasse right now. I have to paint first, then floors. But the ceilings need to be painted first and no one has done them yet. I guess I need a cattle prod.
I know what you mean...the cattle prod didn't work here and so it's finally getting down when I hired a contractor to do it and we're his assistants. Cuts the cost down, and we have someone other than the two of us making the daily decisions on what to work on.

teeth_smile.gif
I know what you mean...the cattle prod didn't work here and so it's finally getting down when I hired a contractor to do it and we're his assistants. Cuts the cost down, and we have someone other than the two of us making the daily decisions on what to work on.
I think the problem is that we had a fairly busy year and these are the first days of no guests at all in a long time. We're relaxing. We're goofing off. We're gearing up to hit the tasks, just not right now! We have a pretty busy next 10 days coming up, so I think we're entitled to some down time without stressing! (We're going out for lunch and trying to remember each other's names!)
What we are doing is getting our ducks in a row. Buying supplies. Going out and looking is a big step! That way he can go to the store knowing I have seen the items & 'approved' rather than waiting for me to see everything fait accompli and shaking my head! We have all the bathroom hardware lined up. The new drapes & rods are waiting. New furniture has been selected, but not ordered.
I've gotten a test board done with some decoupage work I'm going to do and I've tested leaving wet glasses on it (typical guest manoeuvre). Am now going to test car wax over the decoupage to repel water staining.
Plus, right now, 'tis the season, and I'm trying to enjoy the holidays!

Back