No guests and liking it!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I wonder if I closed up shop today if we would have more money? I mean, quite literally, as I pour more into the business. This week $500 for more sheets, a new carpet runner on the stairs...
At a routine dr's appt they asked "Employer info" and I put self employed. Because I received no pay from this biz. So maybe I should have put unemployed. :)
Just thinking about all the overhead we pay annually, from insurance. directories, credit card machines, fees and associations and licenses, business taxes (like on our fence and anything we buy for the business), updating linens, renovations and upgrades, decoration, plants and flowers, etc.cable tv, heating/cooling the entire place, water bills with guests and tons of laundry.
Just thinking about it today, how it is nice to actually BE HOME for a change. Not just working here, but home.

I know what you mean!
Just got a pkg from Overstock with new pillow protectors. Have to wash them and then put them on the pillows. But, no guests, so I'd rather just read a book than do any work.

Interesting thought! Perhaps you could do the math and get back to us all - inquiring minds want to know! I think that is why some B&B's charge an outrageous price - less wear and tear on their investment by renting less rooms (thus less stress) but their income is the same. IE - rent 3 rooms at $300 each instead of 9 rooms at $100 each. Just a thought - don't shoot the messenger.

It was a juxtaposition. The whole point was being "home" for a change, and how much I like that.

It was a juxtaposition. The whole point was being "home" for a change, and how much I like that..
Eactly. Like my post the other day....enjoying "my own" tub, "my own" fire....
Doesn't mean I don't like guests.
Doesn't mean I don't like business.
Just means I was likng a slow day.

Interesting thought....
Frankly, we seem to have more money now even with still having 3 mortgages and expenses on 2 houses. Yes, three mortgages!! Of course, we now have the Social Security that kicked in for dh at age 66 and I have 2 part-time jobs that pay me real dinero. Not much dinero, but it's something....
It was super cold for here yesterday (in the teens) and I was only working from home, so I stayed in my warm jammies with a sweater all day. I NEVER do that! But I can now, so I DID. :)
Enjoy the slow times in your own "houses"....splurge and put up your feet in the living room!!! :)

It is always difficult for us because we have to do our maintenance during the slow times, which of course means you are spending money while not much is coming in. And really, with these ridiculously cold temperatures, I do wish we could just shut down entirely. One room last night which means heating everything and it's just not worth it. At least they did the special discount with no breakfast so I don't have to put on the "song and dance" this morning.
Our PO's closed completely December - March. It worked for them because they each had a pension coming in. Ah, pensions...something my generation will NEVER know the meaning of! We'll be working 'til they put us in the ground.

Sometimes it is cheaper to close!
wink_smile.gif

It is always difficult for us because we have to do our maintenance during the slow times, which of course means you are spending money while not much is coming in. And really, with these ridiculously cold temperatures, I do wish we could just shut down entirely. One room last night which means heating everything and it's just not worth it. At least they did the special discount with no breakfast so I don't have to put on the "song and dance" this morning.
Our PO's closed completely December - March. It worked for them because they each had a pension coming in. Ah, pensions...something my generation will NEVER know the meaning of! We'll be working 'til they put us in the ground..
Don...can you explain the 'special discount' you're offering? No breakfast???

Our PO's closed completely December - March. It worked for them because they each had a pension coming in. Ah, pensions...something my generation will NEVER know the meaning of! We'll be working 'til they put us in the ground..
Not only your generation....dh is lucky to be drawing his SS. I'm not sure if it will be there for me in 11 years. No pensions here, just what we have saved in 401Ks and other personal retirement funds. Which were tapped into when we had the biz....
Take a day when there are no guests, though and put your feet up in front of a fire or something! :)

I can't wait for our guests to leave this morning! we're "free" until Friday afternoon. Of course we'll be painting and doing maintenance, but it's on our schedule and no one elses. It really does change my mental state when there are no guests and I can run around all day in sweats and grubbies.

The weather is soo cold here I have to keep the heating ticking over to make sure the pipes don't freeze. So might as well have a few bodies in. I have denise staying one of our regulars (mentioned in previous thread she likes to clean) and she is deep cleaning all the bedrooms while she is here (we all strive to make our guests happy i guess) been catching up with all of my paperwork and marketing for conferences for next year. I have also done all my inspection paperwork and they have said it is probably going to be 9 weeks so I want to get as much done in this quiet time as I can.

The weather is soo cold here I have to keep the heating ticking over to make sure the pipes don't freeze. So might as well have a few bodies in. I have denise staying one of our regulars (mentioned in previous thread she likes to clean) and she is deep cleaning all the bedrooms while she is here (we all strive to make our guests happy i guess) been catching up with all of my paperwork and marketing for conferences for next year. I have also done all my inspection paperwork and they have said it is probably going to be 9 weeks so I want to get as much done in this quiet time as I can..
A guest that likes to clean - major bonus for you!!!

The weather is soo cold here I have to keep the heating ticking over to make sure the pipes don't freeze. So might as well have a few bodies in. I have denise staying one of our regulars (mentioned in previous thread she likes to clean) and she is deep cleaning all the bedrooms while she is here (we all strive to make our guests happy i guess) been catching up with all of my paperwork and marketing for conferences for next year. I have also done all my inspection paperwork and they have said it is probably going to be 9 weeks so I want to get as much done in this quiet time as I can..
It kind of wiggs me to be paid to have someone stay and clean but it makes her happy. each to their own. She has done rooms 1,2,5,6, and 10 and they look amazing especially the bathrooms. I was soo looking forward to a lie in tomorro (ie tuesday) but 5 rooms which were supposed to be comming tomorro have called to say can they come for 3 nights from tonight cos they are worried about the weather. GRRR not sad about the extra money but I WANT MY DUVET!!!!!

It kind of wiggs me to be paid to have someone stay and clean but it makes her happy. each to their own. She has done rooms 1,2,5,6, and 10 and they look amazing especially the bathrooms. I was soo looking forward to a lie in tomorro (ie tuesday) but 5 rooms which were supposed to be comming tomorro have called to say can they come for 3 nights from tonight cos they are worried about the weather. GRRR not sad about the extra money but I WANT MY DUVET!!!!!
She cleans for you AND pays you to be able to stay there?! That is like a double bonus - I would assume you would give her a break of some sort. I'm sorry you won't get to snuggle in tomorrow...maybe another day! I'll volunteer to sleep in an extra hour for you!

It's been a little slow here this month as well. We've been able to catch up on repairs and some painting and to visit with friends and family. It will be nice to be making money again (soon hopefully) but right now we're enjoying the time off and being able to sleep in.

had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!

had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!.
Oh my! I hope you get it all taken care of.

had the crapest morning ever woke up to the macerating pump in our bathroom going bezerk! temp here went down to about -10 and somewhere between the toilet and the sewage pipe there has been a frozen pipe grr have spent last 3-4 hours with my dad and handyman fannying on to get it sorted as the diswasher also runs through that system and washing machines. sewage everywhere going to have to have a new carpet and underlay (i have a streaming cold and I can smell it so it must be bad) what a complete pain in the arse!.
Oh, poor you! It doesn't come worse than backed up sewage! So sorry you have that to deal with that on top of a cold! My sympathies!!

sad_smile.gif

Back