NO HIDDEN FEES

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Maybe we should boast this as well! I just found mandatory gratuity for a one night stay!
I am back on my search - and thus far have found a) rooms with no photos and no rates and no online rez system. b) Another with a room pix but no price and continental brek, you have to nearly book to find out what the rates are and by then there is no photo so you can't remember what you looked at.
Then the latest beauty:
c) "Please budget $15 per night service gratuity for the Inn Staff Tip Pool (housekeeping, innkeepers, breakfast staff, just anyone who touched you along your stay), plus transit and lodging tax. Though individual tipping is appreciated, it is not expected."
A single traveler staying in one of the rooms pays $15 a day gratuity, what the!
I am supposed to click on EVERY room below to see a description (NOT with a photo either) to see which room to book. Wears me out!!!
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Our Availability
Monday • December 7, 2009[/td][/tr]Room Name
[/td]Rate
[/td]Units[/td]Maximum
Occupancy[/td][/tr] 02 Suite [/td]$189 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 03 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 04 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 05 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 07 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 09 Suite [/td]$219 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 10 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 11 Room [/td]$159 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 12 Suite [/td]$199 (US)[/td]1[/td]4[/td][/tr] 14 Suite [/td]$189 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 15 Suite [/td]$189 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 16 Suite [/td]$189 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr] 17 Suite [/td]$189 (US)[/td]1[/td]2[/td][/tr][/table][/FONT]

I think no hidden fees is a great thing to promote.
Hotels are literally giving away the store these days. But they can as long as they tack on all those fees for all kinds of nonsense that guests expect to be included.
B&Bs don't have those add-ons generally and that's one of the biggest differences in the rate structures between the two.
Why not promote that? Guests can only compare the apples and oranges of hotel vs B&B stays correctly if we let them know the difference.
I say tell them.

I am on the third website with no info whatsoever about the breakfast. I am guessing there is one? Not sure though. One said European Continental. Huh? This is America! What does that mean? A Croissant and coffee?
Innkeepers on this forum are LEAGUES ABOVE these other inns when it comes to website design. I cannot press this point enough. It is literally wearing me out, again.
I found one with room pix and rates am nearly willing to overlook the entire website being designed with Christmas decor...have a couple more to see before I decide.
NO HIDDEN FEES!! What if someone booked their room and found there was a $15 reservation fee, that has happened to many on hotels, com or those similar.

Those fees take up the slack when the big guys lower their rates.
Guests are not getting what they think they're going to get if they choose a hotel based on cost and then get slapped with a $15 booking fee, $15 TIP for 1-nights, $27 parking, blah blah blah.
And yeah, if they have a breakfast, please tell us what that is. I stayed at a European B&B (and I use that term very loosely here, only because it's what they called themselves) and the breakfast consisted of bread. Not toast, bread. Not scones, not muffins, not biscuits. A big ole grocery store pack of bread sitting on the table, next to the really bad coffee. Butter was available IF YOU ASKED for it!
So yes, if there's a breakfast, please tell us what that means. There is no one size fits all in that - and guests have a right to know what they're getting (or not getting) when they book!

Well, I guess because they TELL you you'll need an extra $15/day, there aren't any hidden fees! But they do say that will also cover lodging tax and transit tax. Transit tax? I'm assuming there is some sort of transportation included?
I wonder where you hand in the $15? I admit, it's tacky to ask up front for tips. For the innkeepers?
And, what the heck does 'anyone who touched you' mean anyway? Ewwww. That brings to mind people leaping out from the woodwork to open a door or get in your face.

Don't be touchin' "my stay!"
Transient tax is the hotel lodging tax we pay, maybe if you stay there they bus you to your room and pay the transit tax. tee hee

Well, I guess because they TELL you you'll need an extra $15/day, there aren't any hidden fees! But they do say that will also cover lodging tax and transit tax. Transit tax? I'm assuming there is some sort of transportation included?
I wonder where you hand in the $15? I admit, it's tacky to ask up front for tips. For the innkeepers?
And, what the heck does 'anyone who touched you' mean anyway? Ewwww. That brings to mind people leaping out from the woodwork to open a door or get in your face..
Ewww is right. So if the innkeepers don't give you a big ole hug, does that mean you're exempt from tipping them?

That sounds weird to me and by the size of the place...not really a B & B ....not a place I would consider, they can "touch" someone else. :-(

Back