No hot water this morning - how do I make up for it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamelon

Reaction score
Our circulator pump died this morning (it has since been repaired) but two guests had no hot water and couldn't take showers. They were very nice about it, but what would you offer them? They are both staying on a second night tonight. Do I not charge for last night, discount and if so, by what %, or give a gift certificate for a free night?
Thanks for your advice.
Tamara

Make them some brownies or cupcakes or something. Or if not that, give them a discount on a future stay. Don't lose $$ over this.

Thank you, that is good to hear. We are new and I really want great reviews...I thought a gift certificate might encourage that (i.e. we had a problem but the owners were SO nice about...)

Do something special, a discount towards another stay, or gift card, etc.
We only refunded a couple once in money. They were so sweet even when the first night their room lost heat in the middle of a cold snap. (So we moved them to another room), the second night she woke up to hives all over (We striped all linens, blankets, pillows, etc and brought the stuff over from the first bedroom), and the third night was perfect. When they left, they thanked us for everything! And left a wonderful review.

So, we had this same experience a couple of years ago. No hot water. Brought it to the attention of the owner and he shrugged his shoulders and said, 'yeah, that happens sometimes.' And he walked away. Will I send anyone to stay there? Not a chance.
Even an apology would beat what this guy said!

Thank you, that is good to hear. We are new and I really want great reviews...I thought a gift certificate might encourage that (i.e. we had a problem but the owners were SO nice about...).
Tamelon said:
Thank you, that is good to hear. We are new and I really want great reviews...I thought a gift certificate might encourage that (i.e. we had a problem but the owners were SO nice about...)
if you do try to make it a GC like a BOGO, no cash value.

I once had a shower become unusable - 1 reservation and then 2-rooms walk-ins. Since the walk-ins were together (and in the shower of the shared when disaster hit) they just used the shower in the private bath. The ONLY one who was not able to take a shower was the one with a reservation. I offered a comp and she refused. She finally accepted a 50% off. Said she had been in the Army and had taken a bath in a teacup before. Apologize and give a special dessert. Done.

We once had a mishap with a jacuzzi tub for a couple. We moved them to another room so the second night would be fine but that night we knew where they were going for dinner because we made their reservation. I called and paid $75 toward their dinner bill. (Note their room was almost $300 a night). They were thrilled when they got back from dinner. Mishap forgotten.

Most people are understanding as long as you show you care - its the off hand crap people won't put up with.
Personally I would do a discount or gift certificate if they seemed like the kind of people who would come back ie if its a trip of a lifetime from another country they arn't going to use it, if they live 2 hours away and like staying in B&B's your in with a good chance.

Okay, the handyman side of me wants to ask a question, you say circulator pump failed, on my system that would mean a guest would still have hot water they would just have to let the water run a bit more than expected first like many of us do at home, if that were the case I don't know if I would feel as guilty.
Have had two like that in the past, one a line had frozen, had it fixed in 15 minutes, but guest was one of those folks who was just unhappy about everything, another time water heater died after supper on a cold, busy Friday night after supper, nothing to do but let folks know and offer refunds to those that desired, still filled up on Saturday with folks knowing there was no hot water.

Make them some brownies or cupcakes or something. Or if not that, give them a discount on a future stay. Don't lose $$ over this..
I disagree. A sincere apology and every effort to fix a problem means a lot. If I were the guest, I might not expect a cash rebate, but a plate of brownies would be an insult. I think the best suggestion would be to ask them if they think they'd like to come back within the next year – when you have the hot water running again :) and if so you would like to offer them the 1st night on the house.

I would offer a discount right then and there for that stay. For many, based on the water thundering through the pipes in the morning, that morning shower is important.

Thanks for all the input. The hot water was back on by the time they returned from their days. But I still did what my instincts told me to do. I discounted their rooms. One immediately booked for two weeks from now, and the other will be back, I am sure, and was extremely touched. Money is important, but goodwill is king.

Thanks for all the input. The hot water was back on by the time they returned from their days. But I still did what my instincts told me to do. I discounted their rooms. One immediately booked for two weeks from now, and the other will be back, I am sure, and was extremely touched. Money is important, but goodwill is king..
Caring for the guests is an investment in your future, like money in a savings account it is worth more later than it is today.

Thanks for all the input. The hot water was back on by the time they returned from their days. But I still did what my instincts told me to do. I discounted their rooms. One immediately booked for two weeks from now, and the other will be back, I am sure, and was extremely touched. Money is important, but goodwill is king..
see the return visits more than pay for the discount and ongoing goodwill

Back