no hot water

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
staying at a hotel out of town for two nights i came back to my room late last nite and this note had been slipped under the door
(no b&b's in the area that i could find)
'dear guest
i want to start by apologizing for the issues we have had with our hot water boiler in this building. our engineering department believed the issue was solved on friday. this afternoon we had new issues arise with the boiler.
we will not have not water in this building this evening. we are hopeful the issue will be solved tomorrow. if you should need to use a shower tomorrow morning, we are reserving a room in our other building tat will be available to use. it will be cleaned after each use by our housekeeping department.
we will be giving every room that has been affected a $50. refund for tonight you will see it reflected on your bill at check out.
again we apologize for the inconvenience and are working very hard to solve the issue as soon as possible.
sincerely,'
so .... just thought i'd share how they addressed the situation. at the b&b i ran, we sometimes had hot water issues and there was not another building to send people to. interesting.
it is 8 am and no hot water. i really don't want to go over to another building and room with all my stuff to shower but i might. because i'd like to wash of course.

We were visiting an air force base (when my hubby was still in the AF) in NJ one year. We had to stay at the billetting (on-base hotel). Their boiler went down. The maintenance was working on it, but there was no place else for us to go, so we had to make do. Thankfully, there was a coffee maker and a microwave in the room. So my husband ran water thru the coffee maker and would pour it into the plugged sink so that we could at least take a sponge bath...ahhhh- memories ;)
I had forgotten about that adventure until I just read your post, SS. Thanks for the trip down memory lane

SS, sorry you are having this issue. I think they are doing the best they can to patch what is a bad situation - especially during the busy 4th weekend. This is what any hotel/B&B dreads but things happen and never at a time that is the best - like a very slow season.
Hopefully this will make for some good memories in the future like with Penelope has.
Note: it it is as warm there as it is here, a good cold bath would be refreshing.

Our boiler (ironically brand new only in 2 weeks) packed up not last winter but the jan before so no heating and no hot water from the tank. Luckily we have 6 rooms with electric showers so could move all bookings to those rooms (ie so had hot water) and had electric heaters for 2 days till was fixed. Typical mind as old boiler never had a problem!

Sounds proactive. Rather than wait for complaints and have people grousing and breaking the shower knobs trying to force them 'more open' they let everyone know. And knocked off $50 for your trouble. I think it's great they offered another place to shower and stated it would be cleaned between guest showers. Wouldn't want to stand in line, but, they're giving it their best shot.
Would not even want to THINK what that service call bill looks like if they called someone in this weekend.

Back