No Marketing?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I had funny phone call today. Another call from a certain B&B directory that I cancelled and did not renew, as I put the $300 into TA and a link there.
She was astonished that we would not be listed with their directory, even though it rarely if ever sent us any business. She said to me disgusted "So you are not doing any marketing for your B&B at all!!?"
Just like the rude marketer who cannot understand how foolish we are to not advertise on the plastic cups at the pizza parlor, what is wrong with you people!
Thanks to everyone here who shares what works and what doesn't work for their B&B. It has been a lot of tossing money into the wind to nail down what works well for us and what is a waste of money. Don't let some salesperson try to sway you, you are the sales and marketing for your Inn, YOU make the calls, YOU pay the bills. They can take a flying leap.

What is REALLY scary are the inns who really do not do any marketing!
Several years ago (OK by now it is more than several) my State Association did a survey of the members as to what do you spend on marketing and advertising? It was scary how many spent $300 or less per year - and this was before our Association had a web site to fill the gap. At that time I spent $300 just to host my web site and give me internet access. It did not count how much for the printed directories that were still beig done (but getting phased out by Internet at that point). Even today there are inns with no web presence - and they wonder why the occupancy is down or they think they are doing just fine without it.

I think you are completely right we try and survey people as to where they have heard of us and guides especially are the least mentioned. At the moment my top four are
1, Laterooms.com, 2 Reservationa HIghway (they are a reservation service connected to the conference centre) 3 booking.com. 4 own web site.
The only reason I stay AA rated is because we have to be rated to work with our local tourist information and local trade association the actual business we get from them is about $60 a year and we have to pay $900 a year to be a member.

If she'd called me (and perhaps she might) I'd ask her, why pay YOU when I'm on Google for free?
Someone called offering to be "on the first page of Google" for $100 a month. $100 a month?! You've got to be kidding! That's for a search on "bed and breakfast oh." Ohio's not a small state. Why would anyone search on such thing?
If someone searches for anything remotely in my area, there I am, and I don't even have to pay $100 a month!
=)
Kk.

Back