No one plays the lottery if there are no winners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration for innkeepers
[h3]No one plays the lottery if there are no winners [/h3] In terms of practical mathematics, whatever lottery you're playing (the marry a millionaire lottery, the get picked to be on Oprah lottery, the get found at Hollywood and Vine and win an Oscar lottery) has no winner.
In other words, your chance of winning is so vanishingly small it's as if, from an investment point of view, there are no winners.
Which means that you should play the game for the thrill of playing it, for the benefits of playing it to a normal conclusion, not because you think you have any shot at all of winning the grand prize.
Does that change things for you?
Does it change the way you run an event which most people are going to 'lose'? How about changing the way you think about the lotteries you enter every day?
[Worth noting: most people who play state lotteries aren't playing to win. They're playing for the endorphin rush they get when they buy a ticket. Many people who win the big prize keep playing.]

I play because if I don't play they can't pay HOWEVER I do not expect to win. Anyone who plays with the expectation to win is a fool. Because if you were going to win they would not make any money and therefore would no be selling the tickets. It is my "vice" and since we neither smoke nor drink, I figure the $4 per week that I spend on it is a cheap vice. I buy a scratch-off ticket when I buy gas and when I buy my monthly lottery ticket.
Every now and then I hit for a few dollars on a scratch-off and i follow my formula and have stuck to it through the years. If I win $1 - I take another ticket (my original $1 is my "donation" and now I play on State money). If I win $2 - I take a $1 and a ticket. If the winnings are $5 or more, I take the money and run! Every now and then, not often, the lottery ticket gives me a few dollars toward the next month's ticket. I find that out when I have them check my losers before buying the new tickets. I am a cheap gambler.

This is an analogy for life, not really about the lottery. It's an innspirational. It is about realizing that we won't all be lotto winners, so what will we do meanwhile? Live life to the fullest and keep playing the game!
cheers.gif

I think of it as an insurance policy.I pay every year premium for fire & accidents etc type insurance, probably not going to happen, unless I am unlucky. I also pay about $300 a year for the lottery, probably not going to happen, unless I am lucky. In both cases the amount of money that you pay is small compared to the value if the unthinkable happens.

This is an analogy for life, not really about the lottery. It's an innspirational. It is about realizing that we won't all be lotto winners, so what will we do meanwhile? Live life to the fullest and keep playing the game!
cheers.gif
Exactly. There is no "easy" way to anything. Life deals you a hand to play. What you do with it is up to you. You can play it out to the end doing your best with what you have or you can sit in the corner and whine about how unfair things are. We should have our dreams and work toward them, but do not expect to hav ethem handed to us. If they were, we would not appreciate them as much as we do when we work for it.
I had a $3 winner in my losers today! Yeehaa!! This month's tickets cost me $3 less.

My biggest thrill is hunting a real estate bargin, buying it with ridiculously creative financing and preparing it to rent. Actually owning the house isnt very exciting.
I also have to make sure I don't get caught up in the excitement of the deal as opposed to really wanting the property. So yes, the process should be celebrated!

I know it was the same when I worked in big hotels we all hated wedding days cos of the constant chaos but I loved the adrenalin rush of pulling it all off. I do love a challenge.

Back