No. Please. Don't.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
God bless him one of my guests is mid chemo. However this morning at breakfast he said "oh I can't eat anything solid". No problem, whip up a smoothie but it would have been nice if I had known ahead.
He is at the table with 4 other guests, fortunately all known to him. Next thing he gets a funny look on his face. Everything stops including me. Everyone waits. Wife hands him something to throw up in. No. Please. Not at the table. There is a bathroom 10 paces away. Thank God nothing. I know there are those of you that have been nurses or dealt with dealing with "guest body fluids" other than those in the toilet but I don't know that I would not have thrown up myself if I had to clean it up.

I'm sorry this gentleman is ill, but he is bordering on being a PITA. I don't mean to sound callous, but you are running a Bed and Breakfast.
A bed and breakfast is not the appropriate setting for someone who is ill or convalescing. Especially someone that may or may not puke at the breakfast table. A B&B is a VERY social setting and most individuals in this condition may have many special requirements. It is inconsiderate of those in this situation to place others in an awkward position or to make them feel uncomfortable in any way.
Perhaps you could provide hospice care as an add-on package.
thumbs_down.gif

Poor guy...I'm sure that it would have been super embarrassing for him if he had lost it at the table. Unless you've experienced it first hand or cared for people undergoing chemotherapy, you can't even imagine the havoc that it wreaks on your body.

I'm sorry this gentleman is ill, but he is bordering on being a PITA. I don't mean to sound callous, but you are running a Bed and Breakfast.
A bed and breakfast is not the appropriate setting for someone who is ill or convalescing. Especially someone that may or may not puke at the breakfast table. A B&B is a VERY social setting and most individuals in this condition may have many special requirements. It is inconsiderate of those in this situation to place others in an awkward position or to make them feel uncomfortable in any way.
Perhaps you could provide hospice care as an add-on package.
thumbs_down.gif
I agree with you 100%. I worked extensively in oncology, I didn't meet many people who would have thought about going on vacation mid-chemo. You were very kind to "whip him up a smoothie" with zero notice. Here I would've had to resort to chicken broth, we don't keep smoothie stuff on hand.

LOL Smoothie = any fruit I have on hand, fruit juice, milk, yoghurt and honey .. I wish more of my guests would "only want a smoothie!!"
I think the issue that I had is that he KNEW he may throw up but rather than moving away from the table he sat ... two .. three ... minutes. THEN wife handed him the baggie. Of course I understand he may have been too weak to move at that moment but sigh yes I do not have nursing experience ....

Back