No Show Breakfast and Manners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just wondering, do you think you should mention or apologize or anything if you NO SHOW for breakfast and have signed up for a certain seating? Would it be considered manners to do so?
PS Did I mention I am not fond of hotel people?

It would be proper to receive an apology if one is offered. It is also better for your mental health to let it roll off your back if you don't get one.
Some people are thoughtless jerks and others are just clueless as to what a bed and breakfast is. I find that if guests are made to feel like their being welcomed into your home as opposed to being welcomed into a lodging establishment, then apologies are more forth coming.
Something I've started doing (learned here from an innmate) is to ask "Will you be joining us for breakfast?" I'm surprised at how many individuals say "No" when given an opportunity.

Yep...they treat you just as if they were in a hotel. They have to account to no one...sorry :-(

I ask mine to tell me before they turn in, what time they want breakfast. In 14 years, I have only had one couple no-show for breakfast (many were late) and they were a very young couple who I do not believe had a clue as to what a B & B is.

It would be proper to receive an apology if one is offered. It is also better for your mental health to let it roll off your back if you don't get one.
Some people are thoughtless jerks and others are just clueless as to what a bed and breakfast is. I find that if guests are made to feel like their being welcomed into your home as opposed to being welcomed into a lodging establishment, then apologies are more forth coming.
Something I've started doing (learned here from an innmate) is to ask "Will you be joining us for breakfast?" I'm surprised at how many individuals say "No" when given an opportunity..
Proud Texan said:
Something I've started doing (learned here from an innmate) is to ask "Will you be joining us for breakfast?" I'm surprised at how many individuals say "No" when given an opportunity.
Except that we had two seatings each morning and they actually wrote their name on the hour they chose.

Something I've started doing (learned here from an innmate) is to ask "Will you be joining us for breakfast?" I'm surprised at how many individuals say "No" when given an opportunity..
Proud Texan said:
Except that we had two seatings each morning and they actually wrote their name on the hour they chose.
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
I would post a statement indicating that a service charge will be levied if they sign up for breakfast and then don't show up. They'd be more apt to show up...if not $$.
Perhaps do something similar for those jerks who don't tell you of a dietary need until you are serving them. We give them ample opportunity to inform us.
We are still thought by some to just another kind of hotel, so we get the same level of respect (or disrespect) that they would give a large hotel chain. Some people get it. Some don't.

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
I would post a statement indicating that a service charge will be levied if they sign up for breakfast and then don't show up. They'd be more apt to show up...if not $$.
Perhaps do something similar for those jerks who don't tell you of a dietary need until you are serving them. We give them ample opportunity to inform us.
We are still thought by some to just another kind of hotel, so we get the same level of respect (or disrespect) that they would give a large hotel chain. Some people get it. Some don't.
Pretty hard to justify charging them when breakfast is complimentary!
poke.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Proud Texan said:
poke.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
poke.gif
If breakfast is so damn complimentary, why do so many here bend over backwards to accommodate special needs. If it's complimentary it should be take it or leave it. If it's complimentary, then don't get upset if they don't eat or show up to eat it.
It's wasteful as Hell, granted. But it's part of doing business.
poke.gif

Some people have no manners, we just have to accept it. They paid a "breakfast inclusive rate" so although it is rude on their part and annoying for us we just need to suck it up, had they eaten / showed it would not have been any less work although may have saved us a couple of $$.
I feel fortunate I can't remember when I last had no shows ..... if I did I would call the local police officer on duty and offer them a plate.
(Oh and maybe an "Oh so sorry you missed breakfast, I had prepared a delicious .......... for you" when they do come down

Some people have no manners, we just have to accept it. They paid a "breakfast inclusive rate" so although it is rude on their part and annoying for us we just need to suck it up, had they eaten / showed it would not have been any less work although may have saved us a couple of $$.
I feel fortunate I can't remember when I last had no shows ..... if I did I would call the local police officer on duty and offer them a plate.
(Oh and maybe an "Oh so sorry you missed breakfast, I had prepared a delicious .......... for you" when they do come down.
agoodman said:
..... if I did I would call the local police officer on duty and offer them a plate.
Cool idea! The policemen in our town make close to minimum wage, so the job doesn't attract many top-notch candidates. But these guys have a lot of power to make your life better or worse. Much better to stay on their good side!

Too many do bend over too far back words imo. Case in point the vegetarian no show who required special food. I DID go out of my way for this person, yes indeed and then the lady who shoved the food back as we served it today "I AM DIABETIC BRING ME SOME CEREAL." No. Here is your food, take it or leave. No I didn't say that, but we put the food in front of her as it was being served.
You all will be happy to know they are now at the comfort inn.
No, didn't give 'em the boot, that is where they wanted to stay, and were FORCED to stay here by local relatives, those poor dear souls they call children and grandchildren who wanted to make it a special visit (NOTE they did not stay with THEM in their homes). They were hotel people, they never enjoyed anything we had on offer, not a thing, in fact, despised everything we had on offer. Seriously, it is amazing.
The good news is we are now taking my daughters to church as they are being baptized tonight. Yep, hallelujah pass the biscuits! CY'all later

Rule of thumb: the more people in the party, the more self-absorbed they will be. Families are the worst, not because they are intrinsically evil; it's just that coralling the family in a strange place just about approaches--if not exceeds--the limit of parenting capacity of most parental units.
And plan your kill-me-now bleach-and-gin cocktail if the offspring are teenaged girls. How is it possible that a mom and dad and two fifteen-year-old twin girls can, in two nights, manage to use every bath towel in your establishment, then proceed to ransack the pool towels and USE EVERY ONE OF THEM--along with every one of the cheapie towels you bought in a weak moment from one of those hotel supplier catalogs and, when they arrived, decided that people would rather dry off with toilet paper than use one of them.
These were not large children, and wondering how they managed to used every damn towel in your place becomes a physics problem. Map this equation: if they use one of your towels for every square centimeter of skin on their body, how wet would they have to be before they needed to increase their towel-absorption ratio?
We're family-friendly and dog-friendly, and lordy, give me a dog any day.

Hmm......towel limitations......have to remember that.
Perhaps some people just do these things. One, cause they can. Two, it becomes a game?
Tex....resurecting the "complimentary" breakfast. Does bring a point ....that's why clear, comprehensive rules regarding food likes/dislikes....or what ever their fancy. Should be done so, as to bring a sense of sanity to the breakfast equation.
Granted......the motel 6 will always have a $69 room.....Won't have the ambience and swager of a B&B..Won't offer the "complimentary" breakfast..To some people, a room is just a room. And to some, what value a breakfast can be. When comparing the rate of the Motel 6 and the B&B?
Then theirs the "hosipitality" thing. Accomodating the guests needs.
All I know is...rules, policies, procedures, etc....Have to become the norm and consistent. And forever evolving.......to achieve and maintain sanity.

No shows are very rare here, late by 1/2 hour not uncommon as the beds are very comfortable ... What we do get is people returning late when we are not on deck and telling us in the morning that they will be having breakfast in town with friends they met. OK, its part of the service. People expect to be catered to, some way more than others as we all know.
Breakfast should be nourishing, but mainly it is part of the experience and should not turn into a social obligation -- that is a B&B negative for folk. I think our younger market is apprehensive of having to do stuff, including showing up for breakfast, a meal they rarely eat in a conventional way anymore. It is an optional treat for a generation that usually "opts" at the last minute.

No shows are very rare here, late by 1/2 hour not uncommon as the beds are very comfortable ... What we do get is people returning late when we are not on deck and telling us in the morning that they will be having breakfast in town with friends they met. OK, its part of the service. People expect to be catered to, some way more than others as we all know.
Breakfast should be nourishing, but mainly it is part of the experience and should not turn into a social obligation -- that is a B&B negative for folk. I think our younger market is apprehensive of having to do stuff, including showing up for breakfast, a meal they rarely eat in a conventional way anymore. It is an optional treat for a generation that usually "opts" at the last minute..
Tom said:
Breakfast...should not turn into a social obligation -- that is a B&B negative for folk. I think our younger market is apprehensive of having to do stuff, including showing up for breakfast, a meal they rarely eat in a conventional way anymore.
EXCELLENT points! I'd hate to think of people avoiding staying at B&B's because they'll feel shamed if they choose not to show up for the breakfast they paid for. That's their call, in my opinion, and I wouldn't even mention to them what they missed by sleeping in. People on vacation who've paid their money shouldn't also have to endure a guilt trip.

In 14 years I've never had a no show for breakfast. If they have other plans they always let me know the night before.

As a guest, I would certainly apologize to the innkeepers if I overslept or just didn't show up for breakfast. Just good manners....
Who would ever want to miss an awesome B&B breakfast? I just don't get it! :)

Back