No shows for a package?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE: "BUT, yes always a but, innkeepers CAN BE TOO NICE. They really are not doing anyone a favor by doing this, other than cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
cry_smile.gif
"
WOW, I am sorry but there is no such thing as too nice. Cutting off my nose to spite my face because I am too nice??? No, this is the business I grew up in, this is the way I was TAUGHT. We are in the business of HOSPITALITY and I agree that you may feel you have to implement your policy to a T, but don't come on here and blame US if we make a decision to bend OUR policy.
If I have a room ready at 11am and the guest shows up they will not be told to wait. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face and inconvenience my guest by telling them to come back. NOW they know from my website, my confirmation and my phone call what time check in is. If they tell me they are arriving earlier I will explain I cannot guarantee the room before 2pm. But turn them away? Um no.
So we each have our own way of dealing with things - we each have what works for us and what does not. People come on here asking for advice, they don't have to listen or use any of it.
But please DON'T BLAME YOUR FELLOW INNKEEPERS FOR YOUR GUESTS "INDISCRETIONS"..
Now I will turn away an 11 AM arrival even if no one was in the house last night. Why? I need my space. Mentally I am preparing myself for guests to show at 3 PM or after. Showing up at 2 PM throws me off.
I liked an analogy I read on here sometime before- arriving at a B&B 4 hours early is like arriving at a party well before the time stated. You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing. Unless you've come to help, stay away until your 'time'.
Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
I've had guests try to push into the house at noon. Need to leave luggage, need to use your bathroom, need this, need that. Honey, if you didn't plan your pee breaks better than this, don't come cryin' on my doorstep. Park your car and go to the tourist info center 2 blocks away. This is my time, not yours. I'll be at your beck and call from 3 PM today until 11 AM the day you leave, but not a moment longer. (Excepting the half dozen phone calls!)
Doing this 24x365 means I have to draw a 'time' line that I am the sole arbiter of. And this works for me.
Alibi Ike said:
You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing...Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
This is a direct quote from an email I received from an unhappy guest:
We did not think it was unusual to check in early on Friday. I saw on the internet that you were half full on Thursday and with that info did not think it was a big deal. We were welcomed many times from other B&Bs to come early.
Her complaint was about a different issue, one which I usually address with guests in her room at check-in. They arrived to check in about 45 minutes after my Thursday guests had checked out, before noon. I was still in the middle of cleaning up and not really prepared to check the new guests in. I did it anyway, and left out pointing out a detail that ended up being important. Had they been checking in at their expected arrival time, that would not have happened, and it ended unhappily for the guest, and now for me.
Now I'm not going to argue with this guest that if they showed up unannounced at other B&Bs early - which is different, IMHO, than being welcomed to come early (which I assuredly did not do) - that all these other innkeepers were happy to see them. I bet they weren't. To the extent that other innkeepers allowed these guests to believe that showing up early and unannounced is "WELCOMED", they did us a disservice.
What really annoys me about what you received is the exact presumption that because you weren't full, it was ok to show up early, because, obviously, you weren't busy.
We get that one a lot. "I see by your calendar that no one is in our room the night before, therefore, we will be checking in when we arrive in town."
Screw what the calendar shows. You'll check in when I open the door. These are guests who book weeks in advance and think nothing is going to change. Or, guests who deliberately look at the calendar the night before and then throw that in our faces at 10 AM when they arrive to be checked in.
"No one was in our room last night, we checked, so you have to let us in."
I know others on here have had the same happen to them. And it has happened to other innkeepers near where I am because those guests will show up at my door asking me where their innkeepers are at noon.

QUOTE: "BUT, yes always a but, innkeepers CAN BE TOO NICE. They really are not doing anyone a favor by doing this, other than cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
cry_smile.gif
"
WOW, I am sorry but there is no such thing as too nice. Cutting off my nose to spite my face because I am too nice??? No, this is the business I grew up in, this is the way I was TAUGHT. We are in the business of HOSPITALITY and I agree that you may feel you have to implement your policy to a T, but don't come on here and blame US if we make a decision to bend OUR policy.
If I have a room ready at 11am and the guest shows up they will not be told to wait. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face and inconvenience my guest by telling them to come back. NOW they know from my website, my confirmation and my phone call what time check in is. If they tell me they are arriving earlier I will explain I cannot guarantee the room before 2pm. But turn them away? Um no.
So we each have our own way of dealing with things - we each have what works for us and what does not. People come on here asking for advice, they don't have to listen or use any of it.
Now I will turn away an 11 AM arrival even if no one was in the house last night. Why? I need my space. Mentally I am preparing myself for guests to show at 3 PM or after. Showing up at 2 PM throws me off.
I liked an analogy I read on here sometime before- arriving at a B&B 4 hours early is like arriving at a party well before the time stated. You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing. Unless you've come to help, stay away until your 'time'.
Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
I've had guests try to push into the house at noon. Need to leave luggage, need to use your bathroom, need this, need that. Honey, if you didn't plan your pee breaks better than this, don't come cryin' on my doorstep. Park your car and go to the tourist info center 2 blocks away. This is my time, not yours. I'll be at your beck and call from 3 PM today until 11 AM the day you leave, but not a moment longer. (Excepting the half dozen phone calls!)
Doing this 24x365 means I have to draw a 'time' line that I am the sole arbiter of. And this works for me.
Alibi Ike said:
You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing...Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
We did not think it was unusual to check in early on Friday. I saw on the internet that you were half full on Thursday and with that info did not think it was a big deal. We were welcomed many times from other B&Bs to come early.
Her complaint was about a different issue, one which I usually address with guests in her room at check-in. They arrived to check in about 45 minutes after my Thursday guests had checked out, before noon. I was still in the middle of cleaning up and not really prepared to check the new guests in. I did it anyway, and left out pointing out a detail that ended up being important. Had they been checking in at their expected arrival time, that would not have happened, and it ended unhappily for the guest, and now for me.
Now I'm not going to argue with this guest that if they showed up unannounced at other B&Bs early - which is different, IMHO, than being welcomed to come early (which I assuredly did not do) - that all these other innkeepers were happy to see them. I bet they weren't. To the extent that other innkeepers allowed these guests to believe that showing up early and unannounced is "WELCOMED", they did us a disservice.
What really annoys me about what you received is the exact presumption that because you weren't full, it was ok to show up early, because, obviously, you weren't busy.
We get that one a lot. "I see by your calendar that no one is in our room the night before, therefore, we will be checking in when we arrive in town."
Screw what the calendar shows. You'll check in when I open the door. These are guests who book weeks in advance and think nothing is going to change. Or, guests who deliberately look at the calendar the night before and then throw that in our faces at 10 AM when they arrive to be checked in.
"No one was in our room last night, we checked, so you have to let us in."
I know others on here have had the same happen to them. And it has happened to other innkeepers near where I am because those guests will show up at my door asking me where their innkeepers are at noon.
But why are they showing up at noon? Because they can. Because they have done it before...if not, they test the water and the "nice" hosts let them in and they will do it again. They want to squeeze as much value out of their stay as possible. I am not arguing that.
I am only saying we have policies, not sure why someone has them and never abides by them. I guess having two kids (HERE NOW, not grown and not just a memory of the good times remains) makes it so clear to me, my kids know what to expect, I don't waft around from day to day mood to mood "Oh well you are nicer than the other guests who arrived at noon so for you, you can check in now."
Here is a statement we can have on our websites or at our inn "ALL GUESTS ARE TREATED EQUALLY" Same rules apply to all of you. "We treat all of you will kindness, as you are our guests." This is not being mean, sheesh think about what I wrote in the quotes, this is how we operate. Remember y'all, boundaries are not prison bars, they are handrails.
Grand-Canyon0037.jpg

cry_smile.gif
"
agoodman said:
cry_smile.gif
"
But please DON'T BLAME YOUR FELLOW INNKEEPERS FOR YOUR GUESTS "INDISCRETIONS".
You know, when I started out I felt the same way - if the room is ready let them in at 11am.
Aftre a while you learn.
YOu need your own time. If the room is ready - then maybe I can go out and get my hair cut - or some other thing that others take for granted and I don't have any time to do since I'm working Mon-Fri outside the business.
So, if it's to my ADVANTAGE to get them in and not have to worry about waiting for them to check in - I'll let them check in.
If I need the time, I'll send them to Monticello or a winery to do some tasting.
I don't consider following normal booking policies as not being hospitable. I look at it as avoiding burnout.
RIki
egoodell said:
So, if it's to my ADVANTAGE to get them in and not have to worry about waiting for them to check in - I'll let them check in.
If I need the time, I'll send them to Monticello or a winery to do some tasting.
I have to agree, Riki, that sometimes I am THRILLED when someone lets me know they'd like to check in early....there have been times that that change in my schedule for the day really works to my advantage and I jump at it. Other times, not so much, so I don't.

They were a "no show". I'd charge them for everything that they reserved according to your cancellation policies. End of story....

cry_smile.gif
"
Alibi Ike said:
Here's the thing....
There are inns out there with staff and like hotels, they'll bend that check-in time if the room is ready. I had it happen here a few times where people would complain that one of the other B&Bs (both with staff and absent owners) had let them check-in early when they stayed with them. I just had to say, "Sorry, folks! I am a one-woman operation here and we have a check-in time for a reason. I have to make everything ready for ALL THE GUESTS in a small window of time."
Of course, I'm sure that because everyone thinks that inn owners are raking in the dough, they think you can just hire all kinds of people to help you! hahaha!
How cheeky is it for someone to assume that because you had fewer rooms the night before that you'd be more available? What if you scheduled an appointment or something because you had the rare opportunity for a few "free" hours? Good grief......

cry_smile.gif
"
Alibi Ike said:
Here's the thing....
There are inns out there with staff and like hotels, they'll bend that check-in time if the room is ready. I had it happen here a few times where people would complain that one of the other B&Bs (both with staff and absent owners) had let them check-in early when they stayed with them. I just had to say, "Sorry, folks! I am a one-woman operation here and we have a check-in time for a reason. I have to make everything ready for ALL THE GUESTS in a small window of time."
Of course, I'm sure that because everyone thinks that inn owners are raking in the dough, they think you can just hire all kinds of people to help you! hahaha!
How cheeky is it for someone to assume that because you had fewer rooms the night before that you'd be more available? What if you scheduled an appointment or something because you had the rare opportunity for a few "free" hours? Good grief......
Samster said:
See, now, you're thinking it's about you.
wink_smile.gif
It's not about you or me, it's about the guest.

cry_smile.gif
"
Alibi Ike said:
Here's the thing....
Samster said:
See, now, you're thinking it's about you.
wink_smile.gif
It's not about you or me, it's about the guest.
Oh, I realize that guests can think that it's ALL ABOUT them. I had an attorney show up 3 hours earlier than he had told me on his reservation and also in a telephone chat & then chew me out because he rang the bell, no answer, called my cell which didn't get answered because I was in line at the post office, etc., I had a livid voice mail which I returned ASAP, etc., etc. It all turned out fine in the end when he realized that I was not named Marriott. :)

I disagree as I would rather check people in earliy if I can as it saves dealing with them twice ie I have to break away to answer the door say the room is not ready etc where as if I can put them in a room already ready then thats it they have their keys all set. On a saturday if I have quite a few people staying over from friday ie only 6 rooms to do me and the chamber maid blitse the arrivals while DH does the kitchen and if I am super lucky like this saturday I had everyone checked in by 12 and had the rest of the day free to myself and got a ton of Xmas shopping done. I think what matters is to make rules that suite you and stick to them and make sure they are in your terms and conditions so you can clearly say well here they are. You have to find the balance that works for YOU it is all about personal space the kind that you have in your head (if that makes any sense?)

Also would never let anyone in my kitchen! the health and safety and insurance people would have a hissy fit! I find that covers a multitude of sins "ie health and safety says no!"

Also would never let anyone in my kitchen! the health and safety and insurance people would have a hissy fit! I find that covers a multitude of sins "ie health and safety says no!".
Also would never let anyone in my kitchen! the health and safety and insurance people would have a hissy fit! I find that covers a multitude of sins "ie health and safety says no!"
Wish that would work in dealing with early check-ins!!! "Health and Safety say that for MY health and YOUR safety check in begins at 3 - see you then"

Also would never let anyone in my kitchen! the health and safety and insurance people would have a hissy fit! I find that covers a multitude of sins "ie health and safety says no!".
Wish that would work in dealing with early check-ins!!! "Health and Safety say that for MY health and YOUR safety check in begins at 3 - see you then"
nice one LOL You could say " I am going out and health and safety says you can't be left on your own and I am goig out! LOL"

Back