No shows for a package?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
If you had guests who booked a package and then didn't show would you:
  • Charge them for everything
  • Charge them for the room and keep all of the 'package' items for another guest who books the same package
  • Charge them for the room and everything 'perishable' (like tickets to a show) that you had to purchase in advance
  • Charge them for everything and mail everything to them (gift certificates for dinner & such)
  • Other

I would charge if there were perishable items , otherwise I would just use them for the next package.

My policy states and confirmation letter reaffirms - if cancelled less than 48 hours before expected arrival or no-show a FULL reservation charge plus tax will be posted to the credit card. This covers me for multiple night reservations also.
My ONLY deviation from this policy is in winter months with horse reservations, if there is a cancellation due to weather, only the stable fee will be posted to the card. They are always one-night and I would rather eat it than have them come here in bad weather. I tell them the truth, I cannot afford to lose the stable - they WILL be paid.
Edited to add - I would NOT send anything to them.

Make sure it is in your policies but charge them for everything and no don't send them a GC. If they do not have the decency to call you to cancel why should you treat them better than they did you? You went out of your way to arrange everything they requested you to do, and they should be responsible for the costs associated with that including your time.

Make sure it is in your policies but charge them for everything and no don't send them a GC. If they do not have the decency to call you to cancel why should you treat them better than they did you? You went out of your way to arrange everything they requested you to do, and they should be responsible for the costs associated with that including your time..
I wouldn't send a GC for another stay. I wanted to know if anyone would send them the items in the package if they charged them for them. Kind of useless to them as the GC's would mostly be good for things around here. I wouldn't send the flowers, but other things are certainly shippable. I guess I feel if I'm going to charge them for all of it, I should ship it all to them.
Which was kind of why I was toying with just charging for the room and the perishables and reusing the dinner GC and other things for another package down the road. (Or, take myself out to dinner!)
I've never had a no show for a package. Cancellations, yes, but never a no show. I have to learn something new everyday.

Perishables yes and if breakfast food is wasted that to. I take off for not doing laundry or chamber maiding but people who do not call at all don't get much consideration from me.

Make sure it is in your policies but charge them for everything and no don't send them a GC. If they do not have the decency to call you to cancel why should you treat them better than they did you? You went out of your way to arrange everything they requested you to do, and they should be responsible for the costs associated with that including your time..
I wouldn't send a GC for another stay. I wanted to know if anyone would send them the items in the package if they charged them for them. Kind of useless to them as the GC's would mostly be good for things around here. I wouldn't send the flowers, but other things are certainly shippable. I guess I feel if I'm going to charge them for all of it, I should ship it all to them.
Which was kind of why I was toying with just charging for the room and the perishables and reusing the dinner GC and other things for another package down the road. (Or, take myself out to dinner!)
I've never had a no show for a package. Cancellations, yes, but never a no show. I have to learn something new everyday.
I took down my Thanksgiving Package this morning. Naturally I had an inquiry about it a couple hours later. I also had an inquiry this morning for a Wednesday night one-nighter. Have not heard from the one-nighter (do not care if I don't actually) but the other gave her phone number. She was told there will be a full reservation charge plus tax for a cancel or a no-show. She is under the usual policy because I am not cooking an extra dinner. They wre told they could join us with our friends for an extra $50 and dinner will be served at 1 P.M. Since they cannot come Wednesday, they opted for Thursday thru Saturday for their 3-night stay (wanted a 2-night but I got the 3rd.). NOT doing the 18th Century clothes either.

I would charge for at least one night stay PLUS any perishables or other items you had bought specifically for them, unless you really know you will need them "in the very near future" for another guest .. and I would mail the non perishables that you won't be using and eat the cost of postage ....

I would charge for at least one night stay PLUS any perishables or other items you had bought specifically for them, unless you really know you will need them "in the very near future" for another guest .. and I would mail the non perishables that you won't be using and eat the cost of postage .....
UH? Why should the innkeeper lose ANY money on a no show! In your scenario, you'd lose money on the non perishables (you said you'd only charge for the perishables) AND lose money on mailing them? Doesn't make sense to me.

I was not clear ' charge for one night ' (ie the package night) which includes both perishables and non, I was just saying mail the NON unless you know you can use them in the very near future (trying to specify of course we can't mail the perishables)
This is of course a personal decision, no one should lose money but we all have to balance goodwill (yes I know we are not charities!!) aka bad reviews vs the $$ sometimes.

You entered into a contract.......the reservation and confirmation of a package is the contract.
You honored your end of the contract
Charge them for everything......why are we splitting hairs regarding perishable or nonperishable?
I have to say.........I am a bit fustrated with the laissez faire attitude towards the fact that what you have and operate is a business......maybe it's just me

You entered into a contract.......the reservation and confirmation of a package is the contract.
Charge them for everything......why are we splitting hairs regarding perishable or nonperishable?
I have to say.........I am a bit fustrated with the laissez faire attitude towards the fact that what you have and operate is a business......maybe it's just me.
"I have to say.........I am a bit fustrated with the laissez faire attitude towards the fact that what you have and operate is a business......maybe it's just me"
No, it's not just you, One Day. When I first became an innkeeper, I knew this was a business. I approached it as that from the beginning...one of the reasons for that was because this was going to be our sole income. We were younger than most innkeepers (in our 30s & 40s) at that time, had no pensions or retirement. This was it. Make it or break it. We couldn't afford to give up income on a whim.
In those first few years, other innkeepers looked at our policies and our decision about cancellations, etc and couldn't believe we actually kept their money if they cancelled last minute! We kept increasing room rates...they couldn't believe it. Well, now 10 years later and guess what. Most of the other innkeepers have followed our lead and can't believe they were so soft way back when. And now they feel less abused.
It's a very fine line we have to walk as innkeepers. This profession goes way beyond just customer service. When we get a complaint or a PITA, we take it personally, unlike the manger of a hotel or motel. You add on the fear of a bad review and many innkeepers back down. We also are typically humanitarians...we care about people or we wouldn't be in this business. We have to be able to sleep knowing that we haven't taken advantage of people. It's really a fine line.
I don't agree with some of the decisions innkeepers make, but I understand where they're coming from. We all have to draw our own lines. But after saying that...it does make it tougher on others when innkeepers don't keep to their policies because that person who abused the rules will continue to do it to others.

I have to say.........I am a bit fustrated with the laissez faire attitude towards the fact that what you have and operate is a business......maybe it's just me.
One Day said:
I have to say.........I am a bit fustrated with the laissez faire attitude towards the fact that what you have and operate is a business......maybe it's just me
I read your user id and always read it as ONE FINE DAY.
The difference is we have people sleeping in our beds and eating at our tables, and as much as we operate these as businesses we are still VERY personal... (See inn-room stripper pole on the other thread as evidence of that)
BUT, yes always a but, innkeepers CAN BE TOO NICE. They really are not doing anyone a favor by doing this, other than cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
cry_smile.gif

For instance, when someone cancels last minute and innkeepers, many or most on this forum say "If I can resell the room you will get a refund, or in the least a gift cert for one night" this is and always feels preposterous to me (say preposterous in an Elmer Fudd spittle). Is this in your policies? Uh cancel last minute even though we have turned away other guests/bookings for that room and we will reward you will a gc. (?)
Now you all know me and know how I am, I will bend over backwards for most guests, it is not called goodwill it is called hospitality, customer service, but why shoot yourself in the foot? Goodwill is a charity.
I have always disagreed with that, and find this is ENABLING those cancel-maniacs to continue to disregard EVERYONE'S POLICIES. (indiv situations of course make an exception to the rule and override all other rules according to innkeepers savvy and take on the situation)
wink_smile.gif

The same applies for allowing check-ins at 11am, holy cow. do you think they will try this at the next B&B? YOUBETCHYA. STOP THE INNSANITY!
I just don't get it, I don't have time, nor energy to cater to that sort of behavior. If someone ordered an add on package - charge them, done deal, bobsyeruncle. Not sure why this is even a question? They are there, they enjoy it or they are not there - you enjoy it, they paid for it anyway.
If you mail a left behind something to a guest CHARGE THEM, they think you already have. Stop being pushovers, stop acting like the guests are the charity (as someone else mentioned) they think you run a business, not a charity, so do your job innkeepers!
(Yeah I am passionate, time to finally drive my new car today...in the sunshine and off I ride...cya later VAROOOOOOOOM!)

Joey
I am fully aware of the customer relations aspect.....as well as keep drawing them in.......kill them with kindness........go above and beyond......exceed expectations.
I get the humanitarian aspect.
OK.....I'm an outsider here.....but.
I've read your policies, have with so many others. As well as the major hotel chains.....Policies are the rules....confirmation is the contract.....it realy is that simple.
It frustrates the snot out of me reading stories here where prospective guests are trying to swindle something....I get it to......and I do fully understand that some are in the position building the business, or just trying to hang on......the trap that happens here is getting run over.
No one decided to go into business for themselves to be swindled, pushed over.....certainly not earn a living.....And I highly doubt any went into business with so much fear, not saying that fear is what is driving much the decisions...what I am seeing is the fear of the policy.....I mean. These are the rules each owner set up to protect themselves. Sure, they are your policies and you do what you please with them.....if the policy is to protect from potential financial lose.........Embrase the policy as if it is law......No?
True that as business owners we tend to take things personaly...All I have to say about that.......when one is truly tired of that.....then will the skin thicken........As for reviews.....as I see it.....it's the reputation....As business owners we strive to achieve a good/great reputation and maintain it.........Again this is where fear creeps in. As some here had said....it's all in the establishment response.
All that are business owners are free to do as they wish their respective business.....do nice things for great guests, bend policy......what ever....When it comes to the bottom line.....never accept financial lose.

QUOTE: "BUT, yes always a but, innkeepers CAN BE TOO NICE. They really are not doing anyone a favor by doing this, other than cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
cry_smile.gif
"
WOW, I am sorry but there is no such thing as too nice. Cutting off my nose to spite my face because I am too nice??? No, this is the business I grew up in, this is the way I was TAUGHT. We are in the business of HOSPITALITY and I agree that you may feel you have to implement your policy to a T, but don't come on here and blame US if we make a decision to bend OUR policy.
If I have a room ready at 11am and the guest shows up they will not be told to wait. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face and inconvenience my guest by telling them to come back. NOW they know from my website, my confirmation and my phone call what time check in is. If they tell me they are arriving earlier I will explain I cannot guarantee the room before 2pm. But turn them away? Um no.
So we each have our own way of dealing with things - we each have what works for us and what does not. People come on here asking for advice, they don't have to listen or use any of it.
But please DON'T BLAME YOUR FELLOW INNKEEPERS FOR YOUR GUESTS "INDISCRETIONS".

QUOTE: "BUT, yes always a but, innkeepers CAN BE TOO NICE. They really are not doing anyone a favor by doing this, other than cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
cry_smile.gif
"
WOW, I am sorry but there is no such thing as too nice. Cutting off my nose to spite my face because I am too nice??? No, this is the business I grew up in, this is the way I was TAUGHT. We are in the business of HOSPITALITY and I agree that you may feel you have to implement your policy to a T, but don't come on here and blame US if we make a decision to bend OUR policy.
If I have a room ready at 11am and the guest shows up they will not be told to wait. I will not cut off my nose to spite my face and inconvenience my guest by telling them to come back. NOW they know from my website, my confirmation and my phone call what time check in is. If they tell me they are arriving earlier I will explain I cannot guarantee the room before 2pm. But turn them away? Um no.
So we each have our own way of dealing with things - we each have what works for us and what does not. People come on here asking for advice, they don't have to listen or use any of it.
But please DON'T BLAME YOUR FELLOW INNKEEPERS FOR YOUR GUESTS "INDISCRETIONS"..
Now I will turn away an 11 AM arrival even if no one was in the house last night. Why? I need my space. Mentally I am preparing myself for guests to show at 3 PM or after. Showing up at 2 PM throws me off.
I liked an analogy I read on here sometime before- arriving at a B&B 4 hours early is like arriving at a party well before the time stated. You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing. Unless you've come to help, stay away until your 'time'.
Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
I've had guests try to push into the house at noon. Need to leave luggage, need to use your bathroom, need this, need that. Honey, if you didn't plan your pee breaks better than this, don't come cryin' on my doorstep. Park your car and go to the tourist info center 2 blocks away. This is my time, not yours. I'll be at your beck and call from 3 PM today until 11 AM the day you leave, but not a moment longer. (Excepting the half dozen phone calls!)
Doing this 24x365 means I have to draw a 'time' line that I am the sole arbiter of. And this works for me.

cry_smile.gif
"
Now I will turn away an 11 AM arrival even if no one was in the house last night. Why? I need my space. Mentally I am preparing myself for guests to show at 3 PM or after. Showing up at 2 PM throws me off.
I liked an analogy I read on here sometime before- arriving at a B&B 4 hours early is like arriving at a party well before the time stated. You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing. Unless you've come to help, stay away until your 'time'.
Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
I've had guests try to push into the house at noon. Need to leave luggage, need to use your bathroom, need this, need that. Honey, if you didn't plan your pee breaks better than this, don't come cryin' on my doorstep. Park your car and go to the tourist info center 2 blocks away. This is my time, not yours. I'll be at your beck and call from 3 PM today until 11 AM the day you leave, but not a moment longer. (Excepting the half dozen phone calls!)
Doing this 24x365 means I have to draw a 'time' line that I am the sole arbiter of. And this works for me.
Alibi Ike said:
You shouldn't expect anyone to be happy to see you, least of all the host you are highly inconveniencing...Yes, inconveniencing. And I don't care if someone is paying me to stay here. Show up when you're told, not before and not after (if that can be avoided).
This is a direct quote from an email I received from an unhappy guest:
We did not think it was unusual to check in early on Friday. I saw on the internet that you were half full on Thursday and with that info did not think it was a big deal. We were welcomed many times from other B&Bs to come early.
Her complaint was about a different issue, one which I usually address with guests in her room at check-in. They arrived to check in about 45 minutes after my Thursday guests had checked out, before noon. I was still in the middle of cleaning up and not really prepared to check the new guests in. I did it anyway, and left out pointing out a detail that ended up being important. Had they been checking in at their expected arrival time, that would not have happened, and it ended unhappily for the guest, and now for me.
Now I'm not going to argue with this guest that if they showed up unannounced at other B&Bs early - which is different, IMHO, than being welcomed to come early (which I assuredly did not do) - that all these other innkeepers were happy to see them. I bet they weren't. To the extent that other innkeepers allowed these guests to believe that showing up early and unannounced is "WELCOMED", they did us a disservice.

cry_smile.gif
"
Agoodman, I really have to disagree with you. There IS such a thing as being too nice. If someone shows up at my door at 11:00, I don't care if I'm ready for them or not, I will kindly send them away and help them find something to do until check-in. They knew they were too early and didn't have the respect for kindness to call to see if it was ok. And you can bet that if they were let in at one place that early, they would try to do it again somewhere else.
As far as blameing fellow innkeepers, it would be very naive to think that what other innkeepers do doesn't affect the behavior of guests. Case in point...before the other innkeepers in our region started to enforce their policies, I would get guests saying "well, I just canceled at xzy b&b and they didn't charge me, how dare you charge me?" Or, "well, we've stayed at other b&bs and they let us come into their kitchen and cook our special breakfast". Or, "xyz b&b doesn't charge my charge when I make a reservation, but I don't have the money in the bank right now...can you wait until I get there?"
You bet that what others do affects us.

cry_smile.gif
"
agoodman said:
cry_smile.gif
"
But please DON'T BLAME YOUR FELLOW INNKEEPERS FOR YOUR GUESTS "INDISCRETIONS".
You know, when I started out I felt the same way - if the room is ready let them in at 11am.
Aftre a while you learn.
YOu need your own time. If the room is ready - then maybe I can go out and get my hair cut - or some other thing that others take for granted and I don't have any time to do since I'm working Mon-Fri outside the business.
So, if it's to my ADVANTAGE to get them in and not have to worry about waiting for them to check in - I'll let them check in.
If I need the time, I'll send them to Monticello or a winery to do some tasting.
I don't consider following normal booking policies as not being hospitable. I look at it as avoiding burnout.
RIki

One Day said:
It's not just you One Day. I totally agree. This is a business not a charity. It's hard enough pulling in a living wage. Why would you give away the farm just to be nice?

Back