No Shows for Breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Yesterday when I was checking in a really nice couple, I asked if they had ever stayed at a b&b before. They looked at each other with that 'look' and said yes, once before. They then went on to tell me that they had vowed to never stay at a b&b again. Their experience was that the b&b was lovely and in the morning, they decided they wanted to sleep instead of get up, get ready and go to breakfast. Later, when they saw the innkeeper, they were chastised that they didn't come to breakfast and the innkeeper was upset.
That's when they decided never to stay in a b&b again. The only reason they are here with me is that their son stayed with us and told them how we deliver breakfast, and bought a $400 gift certificate for them!
I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for you to go to all that work to prepare breakfast and folks don't show. But it's also important to remember that guests will paint all b&bs with the same brush, unlike hotels.

We had guests today who are avid B&B goers. They had our mantra - all B&B's are different. They said, 'You know how you have stories about awful guests? We have stories about awful B&B's.' But they didn't share them. Other than the place with no blinds or shades on the windows, just lace curtains.
They were very helpful, too, telling me what they look for in a website and what makes them leave a website.

We had guests today who are avid B&B goers. They had our mantra - all B&B's are different. They said, 'You know how you have stories about awful guests? We have stories about awful B&B's.' But they didn't share them. Other than the place with no blinds or shades on the windows, just lace curtains.
They were very helpful, too, telling me what they look for in a website and what makes them leave a website..
Some of the stories I hear from guests about b&bs are amazing! I'm glad you've got some good guests!
Here's a story from an innkeeper that happened to them last night. It kind of reminds me of your story Maddie (I think it was you) who was locked out in the middle of the night!
"We are staying at a B&B. We left late, so did a self-check-in. I highly suggest you have a friend do this (and other aspects of the B&B stay) as it was not a smooth operation. Things like the front door light being on so that we can read the sign you left for us, rather than having to turn on our cell phone as flashlight. But that's not the real story...
We manage to find my parent's room and drop them off. Our room is outside, down the sidewalk to the (unlit) cottage with a (unlit) sign. We see a door, try the key and it doesn't fit. We round the cottage to another door area, by some parking, like the paperwork says. I try one key, no luck. Try the next key, it works, the door starts to open and I hear someone inside start to scream. As in "EEK! What's happening? NO, we're in here! EEK!" I shut the door and say, we're guests here, our key fits this door. We scurry down the sidewalk, find a light to read the phone number by and call the innkeeper who has just come home (glad we weren't earlier) and finally convince her to come out to solve this problem. The guests have come out of the cottage and while we wait for the innkeeper, we decide that they are in the wrong cottage. The innkeeper comes and agrees with us, and we offer to stay in their cottage as it has the same amenities. The innkeeper has blamed "them" (staff) for leaving the wrong set of keys in the other guests' check-in envelope. The other guests feel horrible and we are laughing about it. Now to see them at breakfast tomorrow morning."

They were very helpful, too, telling me what they look for in a website and what makes them leave a website..
Want to share some of their web things? I would be interested. Though I suspect we all know what they told you :)

Want to share some of their web things? I would be interested. Though I suspect we all know what they told you :)
EmptyNest said:
What they don't want - too busy home page, no photos. What they want - things to do, restaurants (but a vetted list of what WE like), big photos, clear list of prices right next to the room photo.

I am really amazed when someone tells me that ONE bad experience cured them from staying at any other B&B. I asked if they ever had a bad experience at a hotel? There is always a hesitation before they say yes, then a quick BUT.... usually followed with ... we don't stay in that chain any more. I just bounce back - every B&B is it's own chain... we are all unique.

this is why we have a motion sensitive light over the lock box and back door ie they can see the box and combination and then easily see the back door and key hole + I prefer to only do self check in with people who have been before as they know the drill. I am having new front and back doors so then will have one key that does both and then one for the room which will make it a lot easier

and then the guest stories of the opposite...like those arriving officially the next day here at 4am after partying all night. Wondering why are you not happy to see us? And then I had to add the policy "Check in is ON THE DAY you reserve" which is so absurd, I have since removed it.
They called us from a local roach motel and were so dang confused how a B&B can operate this way. Why are you not there to greet us at 4am?

UPDATE:
Those lovely guests just checked out, and when we went to turn over the room, found a beautiful card with a big heart on it and $60 inside. Amazingly thoughtful and kind. Gave us renewed energy to keep trudging along!

UPDATE:
Those lovely guests just checked out, and when we went to turn over the room, found a beautiful card with a big heart on it and $60 inside. Amazingly thoughtful and kind. Gave us renewed energy to keep trudging along!.
see proves my point! (in another thread!)

UPDATE:
Those lovely guests just checked out, and when we went to turn over the room, found a beautiful card with a big heart on it and $60 inside. Amazingly thoughtful and kind. Gave us renewed energy to keep trudging along!.
Breakfast Divo said:
UPDATE:
Those lovely guests just checked out, and when we went to turn over the room, found a beautiful card with a big heart on it and $60 inside. Amazingly thoughtful and kind. Gave us renewed energy to keep trudging along!
AWSHUM!

UPDATE:
Last year after our second Vet couple left, there was a card they must have spent a lot of time looking for. It had a place setting on the front and a nice thank you inside - plus a large monetary tip - and a couple bottles of wine. It would have been enough with the card. They were awesome nice couples.

I don't know why someone would be so upset about no-shows for breakfast. We get them from time to time. I just worry that they will want breakfast when they get up. But at 10:30 AM we clear the table. We've had all kinds... even had a few that come down at 8AM in PJs and then go back to bed... they don't want to miss my breakfast.

I don't know why someone would be so upset about no-shows for breakfast. We get them from time to time. I just worry that they will want breakfast when they get up. But at 10:30 AM we clear the table. We've had all kinds... even had a few that come down at 8AM in PJs and then go back to bed... they don't want to miss my breakfast..
Mostly because of what you said, they'll be looking to eat at 10:30, long after breakfast is over. Then, also, because WE got out of bed at 5:30 AM to get ready and now we're twiddling our thumbs for 5 hours.

UPDATE:
The occasional tips are a balm to the spirit. Just makes you feel good. And make the guests memorable in a very good way.
regular_smile.gif

UPDATE:
oops, tapped the save button twice.

I don't know why someone would be so upset about no-shows for breakfast. We get them from time to time. I just worry that they will want breakfast when they get up. But at 10:30 AM we clear the table. We've had all kinds... even had a few that come down at 8AM in PJs and then go back to bed... they don't want to miss my breakfast..
Mostly because of what you said, they'll be looking to eat at 10:30, long after breakfast is over. Then, also, because WE got out of bed at 5:30 AM to get ready and now we're twiddling our thumbs for 5 hours.
Can't even get breakfast at McDonald's after 10:30 AM around here.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Innkeeper TSHIRT!

UPDATE:
The occasional tips are a balm to the spirit. Just makes you feel good. And make the guests memorable in a very good way.
regular_smile.gif

Skamokawa said:
regular_smile.gif
Well I did collect a shiny quarter from a night stand the other day, and a couple of times a $5 bill was left. Yes it does feel good, though I'm sure they assume the tip is going to a low-paid maid rather than a low-paid innkeeper.

what annoys us is when we have workmen in and then they ask for early breakfast (earlier than our usual times) and then don't come and then they run down the stairs because they are late and shoot off to work, so we have to get up earlier for them not to have breakfast (this isn't cambs its my DH hijacking - but he isn't wrong!)

Back