No Shows, TA Threat & Response

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momma Smurf

Reaction score
I admit we are not b&b people, but the reviews convinced me. No we never went inside. We arrived around 2pm pulled in the driveway and didn't like the look of the property. Yard was very overgrown and not happy, paint was peeling off the building big time. When I walked to the door there was. Sign that read something like check in after 3pm. This made me feel like I shouldn't even enter or else! Anyway, they billed our entire stay no refunds, no partial...it's there right. They asked us to reconsider but we couldn't face the thought of one night, so we stayed at stage neck inn, a well run property with beautiful decks right on the harbor, clean grounds, no paint peeling and no hand written sign on the door that says check inn not permitted before 3pm. If you are hotel people and want the water dont stay at tanglewood, it's off the road a bit in a so so setting.
October 21, 2012

Contrary to verdant sunny Southern California, the ebb and frost of the fall season in Maine inevitably leads to the golden decay of our gorgeous perennial gardens and the scattering of spent leaves from surrounding centuries-old shrubs and trees. To compensate for this natural cycle, we traditionally adorn our stone walls with pumpkins, mums, & scarecrows, and our vast porch entrance is festooned with harvest fall finery (along with a small 2 x 3 inch neatly typed "Check-in 3 to 6" info card by the door). Like other historic structures throughout the Northeast, our 125 year-old home has been repainted over time with many layers. There isn't any "paint peeling off the building big time" on this old house. In fact there are many areas, such as the porch, still covered in classic New England unpainted shingles.
When this reviewer called three weeks ahead to make the reservation, he indeed declared that they were not B&B people; despite telling us that his wife wished to stay at stage neck, he said our great non-hotel TA reviewers convinced him to try us instead. Per usual, we discussed approximate arrival time. Due to the uncertainty of his private plane flight plans, we assured him that we would be flexible, and agreed he'd update us by 5 if they'd not yet arrived.
Was wet windy weather, so we turned on their fireplace in the York Harbor Suite early in the day and awaited their arrival. The phone rang just before 5. The reviewer proceeded to say that they'd arrived here earlier than planned at 2, went up to our door and saw the usual check-in times... and since they didn't want to bother us, they went and got a room at stage neck instead!?? We said that was silly (absurd perhaps would have been a better word) because we often check folks in much earlier when they further read "Please ring doorbell for assistance". When he could not be convinced that he was missing out on one of the most beautiful suites in town, we told him that was certainly his choice, but he would be held responsible for his two-night reservation due to such short notice. He never uttered a word of dispute.
A reservation is a binding commitment between both parties guaranteeing that your room is awaiting when you arrive. What if upon a whim, we decided to give his room away because we preferred someone else, or for any reason? Would a large corporate air or cruise line refund his money if he wanted to switch at the very last minute? We knew he would likely write a distorted biased review if we refused to refund the reservation, but we independent seasonal small B&B owners should not be intimidated for upholding standard business practices. Their confirmation letter and our Policy page clearly state: "Last minute cancellations (within 3 days of the reservation) will incur charges for the entire reserved stay". If you (or your spouse) prefers the environment of a large contemporary hotel versus the intimacy of an 1880s B&B, please do not reserve with us---but please do drop by, do ring our doorbell, step inside, and experience the irresistible charm of Tanglewood

A complete drop kick.
The inn opens at 3pm. That is nothing out of the ordinary, every business has an open time. Hang in there Momma Smurf!

A little wordy...but it hits home for sure. Too bad that they didn't just realize that they aren't B&B people either before they made the reservation or wrote that review.

Sorry, but as a potential guest, I would not like reading your statement from mgt. Too wordy, too much detail and just get the point across that they knew the rule and agreed to them. Sorry if they aren't B & B people, then they aren't let them go elsewhere. Sorry it happened to you.But step above it and move on.

Sorry, but as a potential guest, I would not like reading your statement from mgt. Too wordy, too much detail and just get the point across that they knew the rule and agreed to them. Sorry if they aren't B & B people, then they aren't let them go elsewhere. Sorry it happened to you.But step above it and move on..
Funny, time and time again, we get guests who LOVE our responses to TA and specifically cite them when they arrive here as a reason for choosing us over and over again! They pointedly agree with the point by point response and the fact that we won't relent to the threat of a bad TA review. Truth matters.

I like it. Your response covers all the details and suppositions. As a B+B person I would be tempted to stay...if I were a "hotel" person I would take a pass. If that is what you intended then that is what you have achieved.

I think you did a great job - yes a little wordy, but I liked it. The picture they painted and the picture you painted were two different properties as far as I'm concerned.
Hey, the up side - you got paid for two nights & didn't have to clean. I say you won this one
thumbs_up.gif

I too, found it a bit wordy. I do not know if I would read the whole reply. Your reply is a good sell for what you have/offer, but I do not think it is the proper venue and time.
IMHO
BBBBob
"As you have stated you are not B&B people. It is unfortunate you were unable to take advantage of all the amenities that we have to offer. I am glad you were able to find something to your liking, but unfortunately the B&B lifestyle is not for everyone."

Now go and reply to some of the 5-star reviews thanking them for their comments.

The response is already written.
Suggestion: If you want feedback it may be a good idea to post the DRAFT of the response here before actually posting it. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, other than to vent. So here's to venting!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

The response is already written.
Suggestion: If you want feedback it may be a good idea to post the DRAFT of the response here before actually posting it. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, other than to vent. So here's to venting!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Yes, twas Venting!!!

Back