No social graces

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We have a guest with no social graces. Argued every statement with another guest this morning in a conversation about languages. Sat directly in the hallway blocking all the other guests from easy access to the dining room. Everyone has to step over and around the guest to get to the coffee. And still guest did not move.
Refused to pull in chair when a GROUP of guests were forced to sit at a table for 2 because this guest would also not vacate the table commandeered at 7 AM. CHILD of this guest got up to give chair to the group and parent asked what was going on. 'I'm giving them my chair, I am done, I don't need it,' and child walked away leaving parents still hogging table with chairs pushed out into the walkway between tables.
ANOTHER table got up to give up their seats and STILL this person sat there. I finally had to go ask guest to move. EXACTLY what the person was waiting for. Now there is a big sigh and another 'blot on my copybook' as the Brits used to say. I have just not been gracious enough, accommodating enough or servile enough. Enough.

I'm sorry did you not realise you are blocking the access to the breakfast room? I am sure because you were enjoying your breakfast so much you didn't realise.

I'm sorry did you not realise you are blocking the access to the breakfast room? I am sure because you were enjoying your breakfast so much you didn't realise.

Passive aggressive behavior seems to fill some inner need in August guests. Hang on! This one will be gone soon enough...or perhaps not soon enough! LOL

GRRRR-thats just plain mean and of course what can you say right? hope the guest has vacated your place and is on the DNR list....

I dislike passive agressive, maybe because I grew up with it. You can try two things... the simple "Are you finished? May we clear the plate to give you more room?" or the passive-agressive; bring them more food on the plate and have them tell you that they are finished, then clear the table in front of them of everything, so they just look silly sitting there.
I vote passive agressive.

I dislike passive agressive, maybe because I grew up with it. You can try two things... the simple "Are you finished? May we clear the plate to give you more room?" or the passive-agressive; bring them more food on the plate and have them tell you that they are finished, then clear the table in front of them of everything, so they just look silly sitting there.
I vote passive agressive..
I had already cleared. There they sat. But, once they stood up they went and stood in front of the coffee so everyone who wanted coffee had to 'ahem' and point at the coffee. And STILL they stood there. Maybe moved an inch. I had to grab the pot and bring it around to the waiting guests.
Now, had I been a guest I would have just stepped on her toes when I realized she wasn't budging for love or money or politeness. But, as the charming and gracius innkeeper I cannot do that.

I had already cleared. There they sat. But, once they stood up they went and stood in front of the coffee so everyone who wanted coffee had to 'ahem' and point at the coffee. And STILL they stood there. Maybe moved an inch. I had to grab the pot and bring it around to the waiting guests.
Now, had I been a guest I would have just stepped on her toes when I realized she wasn't budging for love or money or politeness. But, as the charming and gracius innkeeper I cannot do that.
In this country, we would just say "excuse me" but in passive agressive terms the proper reply is "Sorry, you are welcome to stand there, but you will need to fill other people's coffee cup. Thank you."

In this country, we would just say "excuse me" but in passive agressive terms the proper reply is "Sorry, you are welcome to stand there, but you will need to fill other people's coffee cup. Thank you."
You know, had there been the slightest indication it would have made a diff I might have said, 'Can I hire you to pour coffee?' and then given her 'the look'.

You know, had there been the slightest indication it would have made a diff I might have said, 'Can I hire you to pour coffee?' and then given her 'the look'.
+1 for you

I think you should invest in a tazer.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
I always get a kick out of your comments!
copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
Actually, I was half serious. I refuse to take crap from a guest who is being inconsiderate of other guests. I will pull them aside and ask them POLITELY (at first) to modify their behavior or they will be asked to leave. It does not bother me to embarass a lout if it improves the overall experience of the rest of my guests.
What's the worst that could happen? Oh my goodness, he might not come back to see us.
cry_smile.gif
Boo fucking who!
If someone has finished their meal and other guests are waiting to be seated, they can be directed to a porch or to the front door. If a swift kick to the backside is required, so be it.

Proud Texan said:
copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
Actually, I was half serious. I refuse to take crap from a guest who is being inconsiderate of other guests. I will pull them aside and ask them POLITELY (at first) to modify their behavior or they will be asked to leave. It does not bother me to embarass a lout if it improves the overall experience of the rest of my guests.
What's the worst that could happen? Oh my goodness, he might not come back to see us.
cry_smile.gif
Boo fucking who!
If someone has finished their meal and other guests are waiting to be seated, they can be directed to a porch or to the front door. If a swift kick to the backside is required, so be it.
Proud Texan said:
copperhead said:
Proud Texan said:
cry_smile.gif
Boo fucking who!
And as I said, I always get a kick out of your comments!
wink_smile.gif

Back