No Vacancy means?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
No vacancy sign is out - 1:30 this morning the door bell is ringing, before I can find my robe and waddle to the door the phone is ringing as well. "Got any rooms?"
"No."
"We were gonna camp but got in late."
"Sorry, we are full."
"What do I do now?"
"Try the motels down the street."
"Up the street?"
"No, down that way."
"Okay."
Sheesh dude! Probably were out drinking instead of finding a camp site
angry_smile.gif
I hope he didn't wake everybody in the place up...
SOrry, just a bit of a vent through bleary eyes this morning...

You handled that much better than I would have.
My reaction would be to come to the door, shotgun in hand, and ask him "Do you
potty-mouth.gif
know what time is you stupid piece of
potty-mouth.gif
? Now get the
potty-mouth.gif
off my property before I blow a hole in your
potty-mouth.gif
head!"
And that would be after I counted to 10.
smileyvault-wiggle.gif

Our sign is awkwardly placed for noting whether we are full or not. But we rarely get anyone after 10 PM who is at the door. Phone calls, yes, but few bell ringers. Thank goodness!

potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
? Now get the
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
head!"
smileyvault-wiggle.gif
That's right, you ARE from Texas!

That's the kind of thing I get a couple of times a year on very busy weekends during the summer. It's also happening more because their GPS units are taking them here. We've started putting up a couple of sawhorses in our drive entrance right before we go to bed.
Here's an example of a stupid question phone call I got yesterday. "I read on your website it says no candles. What does that mean?" HUH??!!!?!?!?!?! It means NO CANDLES! Geez, you wonder how some people are capable of even getting up in the morning.

That's the kind of thing I get a couple of times a year on very busy weekends during the summer. It's also happening more because their GPS units are taking them here. We've started putting up a couple of sawhorses in our drive entrance right before we go to bed.
Here's an example of a stupid question phone call I got yesterday. "I read on your website it says no candles. What does that mean?" HUH??!!!?!?!?!?! It means NO CANDLES! Geez, you wonder how some people are capable of even getting up in the morning..
We had a gal wanting to burn her wedding candle for their first anniversary.....hmmm risk our 123 year old historic B&B for your 1 yr celebration....I think not!

potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
? Now get the
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
head!"
smileyvault-wiggle.gif
Proud Texan said:
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
? Now get the
potty-mouth.gif
potty-mouth.gif
head!"
smileyvault-wiggle.gif
Wow! I'm really starting to appreciate your style my man.
After my trying experience yesterday, I vote for you for innkeeper of the year.

i would not answer the inn phone or the door at that hour. sorry ...

True dat...the other morning at 6:15, hubby is getting the coffee service going, and someone starts leaning hard on the doorbell. He ran out to find someone looking for directions. Tried to come into the parlor to look at a map, and was a real "loud talker". Hubs went out on the porch with him and was still worried that first floor guests were going to be awakened. Honestly......some people just don't use their heads.

6:15 am is very different from 1:30 am ... to me, one is morning and the other is the middle of the nite. i had people come to the door asking for directions a lot ... it was a business, so people came to the door usually thinking 'front desk staff'.

6:15 am is very different from 1:30 am ... to me, one is morning and the other is the middle of the nite. i had people come to the door asking for directions a lot ... it was a business, so people came to the door usually thinking 'front desk staff'..
SS, I see your point, but it doesn't seem that much different when it's still dark outside, mostly dark inside and all the guests are still sleeping!

make no mistake, i don't want guests disturbed ... EVER ... especially by random persons who are not guests.
my point is that around 6 i'd be up or getting up, stretching and getting breakfast started ... the beginning of the day. or almost. (yawn) or might be serving early breakfast to folks leaving on the early ferry. but at 1:30 i'd be sleeping ... not up and about ...
would be interested in kathleen's perspective - as she serves breakfast all all hours it seems and has been known to head off to help out with stabling horses at that hour. is that right?

6:15 am is very different from 1:30 am ... to me, one is morning and the other is the middle of the nite. i had people come to the door asking for directions a lot ... it was a business, so people came to the door usually thinking 'front desk staff'..
SS, I see your point, but it doesn't seem that much different when it's still dark outside, mostly dark inside and all the guests are still sleeping!
Little Blue said:
If we're talking right now, we're talking apples and oranges. This is the 'Sunrise Coast' here. Bright daylight at 4:30 AM, altho it's starting to push toward 5 AM. Now, for you, maybe different. I would not have thought it would be dark at 6 AM anywhere in the US in the summer.

make no mistake, i don't want guests disturbed ... EVER ... especially by random persons who are not guests.
my point is that around 6 i'd be up or getting up, stretching and getting breakfast started ... the beginning of the day. or almost. (yawn) or might be serving early breakfast to folks leaving on the early ferry. but at 1:30 i'd be sleeping ... not up and about ...
would be interested in kathleen's perspective - as she serves breakfast all all hours it seems and has been known to head off to help out with stabling horses at that hour. is that right?.
At 6:15 I would probably be up and would have answered the door and moved to the porch to answer questions as the foyer is open and would disturb rooms. At 1:30 I would be thinking of doing a PT but the effort to get to them would be too much to bother with - At 1:30 I had probably just gotten to bed! Yes, that is normal for me on Sunday mornings - Chapel from Midnight to 1 AM (if my relief shows up) and up at 5:30 or 6 depending on what time they want breakfast. (Latest walk-in was a midnight call from a motel when a man coming for a seminar found his "confirmed" reservation was not there - they probably sold it on him. I told him how to get here and went upstairs and got the room guest ready.)
We do seve breakfast as early as 4 AM and yes, I have gone out to the stables in the morning since if the rig is a PITA to unhook, i just bring them in to town and take them back. I once did that for a young Argentinian polo player taking 14 polo ponies from Canada to Aiken, SC for the "season". The trailer was sooo big I was going to lead him back to town since it was too big to take the usual route. I also held ponies so he could get them into the trailer. Turned out to be a good thing I was there as the DOH was working on the intersection he would have turned at and I had to lead him to a different road to get back to the Interstate. He would have been "lost" trying to find it otherwise (and I had no idea they were going to be working there until I went to make the turn).

Turns out several guests did wake up. One runs to the door and tells him to call us. No VACANCY folks, WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? just makes me shake my head.....

would be interested in kathleen's perspective - as she serves breakfast all all hours it seems and has been known to head off to help out with stabling horses at that hour. is that right?.
My perception must be skewed. I could not imagine seeing a very small B&B, and ringing the doorbell for a non-emergency that early in the morning when all outside and most inside lights are out. Apparently, that's just me!

little blue, not saying it's appropriate for someone to be ringing your bell at that hour to ask directions. i'm just saying i'd be more likely to answer the door at that hour than at 1:30 am and you have a little 3 guestroom b&b - where i was in a little village, in a big tall (5 story) white building ... some people didn't read the signs and mistook it for a town hall or something. not that ANYONE would be available at town hall before 8 am ... maybe not before 9 or 10 if that lone employee on morning shift was to call in sick.

Turns out several guests did wake up. One runs to the door and tells him to call us. No VACANCY folks, WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? just makes me shake my head......
rrh said:
Turns out several guests did wake up. One runs to the door and tells him to call us. No VACANCY folks, WHAT DOES IT MEAN??? just makes me shake my head.....
Wait, your guests told them to call you? What the heck are they doing answering the door???

Back