Non B&B Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone..
I have a label maker and I label all of the containers. Just yesterday I put out a water jug with a label that says "Water for Keurig and tea kettle"; we also have a sign that says "Cream is in the refrigerator" and people knock on the door looking for cream. It's on the chalkboard in HUGE letters but they still can't see it. Check out Instawares for the stuff you're looking for. Good prices, quick shipping and great service.

I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone..
Well, I guess I solve half of those pretty easily. I have the cream in a creamer and the milk in a oldie milk bottle. But how about this one? http://fredandfriends.com/products/view/category/table/xtra-creamer
Don't you have juice in clear bottles with the ice core? They still can't tell?
How much decaf do you sell that you are making a pot? My K-Cup decaf is so old! It just doesn't move.
Decaf coffee is usually half gone everyday. Today it was empty. Yesterday I made 2 full pots.
Half and half is in an old cream bottle. Milk is in the fridge. Everyone is shown this at check in.
As for the juice, yes, in clear jugs. How many guests have handed me a glass asking for water when the third clear glass jug on the counter is water? Too many.
The next time someone asks what's in the water pitcher I'm going to say gin.

Well, I guess I solve half of those pretty easily. I have the cream in a creamer and the milk in a oldie milk bottle. But how about this one? http://fredandfriends.com/products/view/category/table/xtra-creamer
How much decaf do you sell that you are making a pot? My K-Cup decaf is so old! It just doesn't move.
Decaf coffee is usually half gone everyday. Today it was empty. Yesterday I made 2 full pots.
Half and half is in an old cream bottle. Milk is in the fridge. Everyone is shown this at check in.
As for the juice, yes, in clear jugs. How many guests have handed me a glass asking for water when the third clear glass jug on the counter is water? Too many.
Madeleine said:
See, I almost never get these questions. The coffee pot has a large label. We give a guided tour when they arrive at the dining room. If you water pitcher large enough and filled with ice too? We have cream in a creamer and milk in a milk bottle. I only have one juice though and it's with the ice core.
Where do you get these people? We need to change your demographic!

Madeleine said:
See, I almost never get these questions. The coffee pot has a large label. We give a guided tour when they arrive at the dining room. If you water pitcher large enough and filled with ice too? We have cream in a creamer and milk in a milk bottle. I only have one juice though and it's with the ice core.
We don't get these questions either. Our #1 question is, "what's the wifi password?" (Which is, of course, written on the first page in the welcome to the inn book.)
I love the gin in the big pitcher. Now THAT will get you repeat guests.

Madeleine said:
We don't get these questions either. Our #1 question is, "what's the wifi password?" (Which is, of course, written on the first page in the welcome to the inn book.)
TheBeachHouse said:
Now THAT will get you repeat guests.
She doesn't need these people as repeat guests:) The first time is bad enough.

I'm getting rid of more of my B&B stuff. Have some clear photo holders and also picture frames that I used for "signs". If you want them, I can send them to you. If you can't use them, you can just pass on to someone else.
Bring on the gin, I say!! :)

I think I'd be lost. What is half and half ? What is the cream for ?

Half & Half is coffee cream in the US. I think it is supposed to be half full cream 35% and milk, but I'm not even sure. Around here it's sold as 10% cream, since we legally must have butterfat listed to show quality of the product. Light cream here is 15% and full cream is 35%. We also have a "light" half and half around here that's just 5% butterfat. Whole milk here is 3.25% butterfat.
From the US government description:
Half-and-half is the food consisting of a mixture of milk and cream which contains not less than 10.5 percent but less than 18 percent milkfat. It is pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized, and may be homogenized.

Kak adu Australia said:
I do explain the half and half is for the coffee. And, it is usually foreigners who dump the whole pint into their cereal so I have to watch for that as I get they have no idea what half and half is. It's white, it's liquid, it's on the counter with the coffee, it has a sign that doesn't say 'milk' it says something else so it must be milk for my cereal. Sigh. (Not picking on you, just wishing the clueless would ask if this goes on cereal.)
I only have the half and half out sitting in a bowl of ice. The milk stays in the fridge, which drives some people spare as who keeps milk in the fridge where it's cold and not in the cupboard where it's warm?

Kak adu Australia said:
I do explain the half and half is for the coffee. And, it is usually foreigners who dump the whole pint into their cereal so I have to watch for that as I get they have no idea what half and half is. It's white, it's liquid, it's on the counter with the coffee, it has a sign that doesn't say 'milk' it says something else so it must be milk for my cereal. Sigh. (Not picking on you, just wishing the clueless would ask if this goes on cereal.)
I only have the half and half out sitting in a bowl of ice. The milk stays in the fridge, which drives some people spare as who keeps milk in the fridge where it's cold and not in the cupboard where it's warm?
Madeleine said:
Kak adu Australia said:
Our buffet is on three separate tables. The cereal table is separate from the coffee table, so the milk is obviously for the cereal and the half and half is obviously for the coffee since that is their table.
BUT - we are buying a refrigerator for the breakfast room and will stock it with milk and half and half so I can see in future, people using a lot or the wrong one.

Half & Half is coffee cream in the US. I think it is supposed to be half full cream 35% and milk, but I'm not even sure. Around here it's sold as 10% cream, since we legally must have butterfat listed to show quality of the product. Light cream here is 15% and full cream is 35%. We also have a "light" half and half around here that's just 5% butterfat. Whole milk here is 3.25% butterfat.
Half-and-half is the food consisting of a mixture of milk and cream which contains not less than 10.5 percent but less than 18 percent milkfat. It is pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized, and may be homogenized.
Jon Sable said:
I laugh at "Fat Free Half and Half" since half and half was invented to cut the fat of full cream. So if it's 'fat free' how the heck can it be half milk/half cream??? Or any cream at all??????

Jon Sable said:
I laugh at "Fat Free Half and Half" since half and half was invented to cut the fat of full cream. So if it's 'fat free' how the heck can it be half milk/half cream??? Or any cream at all??????
The problem with half fat milk is.... you need twice as much of it!!!

Jon Sable said:
Skim milk is blue... odd.

Madeleine said:
My guests make fun of me every day when I say "Half and half" in my British accent. I put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a cream jug and the milk into an old fashioned milk bottle. Usually it works just fine. My favourite is when they tell me they would rather have mugs than cups ...... and they're looking right at them.

Madeleine said:
My guests make fun of me every day when I say "Half and half" in my British accent. I put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a cream jug and the milk into an old fashioned milk bottle. Usually it works just fine. My favourite is when they tell me they would rather have mugs than cups ...... and they're looking right at them.
You have mugs? How undignified! I have cups and saucers. This is a Victorian house. Queen Victoria would have never used a "mug".

Madeleine said:
You have mugs? How undignified! I have cups and saucers. This is a Victorian house. Queen Victoria would have never used a "mug".
Jon Sable said:
I get grief from innmates over this same issue. When you are at home eating cornflakes and your own coffee you can use a mug. :) LOL

Jon Sable said:
Skim milk is blue... odd.
Hi everyone I think Im getting it. Sorry I just never understood the term "half and half". "cream" means something different as well. John S our Skim is Green.
milk%20%28930x523%29.jpg

We don't overdue it with signs....regular and decaf and Half & half signs seem to work for us.....then we ask if they would like oj, cranberry or both and then bring carafes to their table. Now we did just added a sign on their room door to please turn lights out when leaving for the day, amazing how they leave all 4-5 lights on and leave.

Kak adu Australia said:
Madeleine said:
I do explain the half and half is for the coffee. And, it is usually foreigners who dump the whole pint into their cereal...
Mmmm. I LOVE half and half on cereal. Haven't had it in years (half and half is too expensive) but after I pass 70 I intend to ONLY have half and half on cereal. The good life!

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
I get grief from innmates over this same issue. When you are at home eating cornflakes and your own coffee you can use a mug. :) LOL
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
we use mugs and people love them. But we are "beach house casual."
shopping

Back