Non B&B Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone..
Well, I guess I solve half of those pretty easily. I have the cream in a creamer and the milk in a oldie milk bottle. But how about this one? http://fredandfriends.com/products/view/category/table/xtra-creamer
Don't you have juice in clear bottles with the ice core? They still can't tell?
How much decaf do you sell that you are making a pot? My K-Cup decaf is so old! It just doesn't move.
Decaf coffee is usually half gone everyday. Today it was empty. Yesterday I made 2 full pots.
Half and half is in an old cream bottle. Milk is in the fridge. Everyone is shown this at check in.
As for the juice, yes, in clear jugs. How many guests have handed me a glass asking for water when the third clear glass jug on the counter is water? Too many.
The next time someone asks what's in the water pitcher I'm going to say gin.
Madeleine said:
Decaf coffee is usually half gone everyday. Today it was empty. Yesterday I made 2 full pots.
Half and half is in an old cream bottle. Milk is in the fridge. Everyone is shown this at check in.
As for the juice, yes, in clear jugs. How many guests have handed me a glass asking for water when the third clear glass jug on the counter is water? Too many.
See, I almost never get these questions. The coffee pot has a large label. We give a guided tour when they arrive at the dining room. If you water pitcher large enough and filled with ice too? We have cream in a creamer and milk in a milk bottle. I only have one juice though and it's with the ice core.
Where do you get these people? We need to change your demographic!
We don't get these questions either. Our #1 question is, "what's the wifi password?" (Which is, of course, written on the first page in the welcome to the inn book.)
I love the gin in the big pitcher. Now THAT will get you repeat guests.
My guests make fun of me every day when I say "Half and half" in my British accent. I put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a cream jug and the milk into an old fashioned milk bottle. Usually it works just fine. My favourite is when they tell me they would rather have mugs than cups ...... and they're looking right at them.
You have mugs? How undignified! I have cups and saucers. This is a Victorian house. Queen Victoria would have never used a "mug".
Jon Sable said:
You have mugs? How undignified! I have cups and saucers. This is a Victorian house. Queen Victoria would have never used a "mug".
I get grief from innmates over this same issue. When you are at home eating cornflakes and your own coffee you can use a mug. :) LOL
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
I get grief from innmates over this same issue. When you are at home eating cornflakes and your own coffee you can use a mug. :) LOL
we use mugs and people love them. But we are "beach house casual."
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
Yes we know, everyone loves everything.

I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone..
Well, I guess I solve half of those pretty easily. I have the cream in a creamer and the milk in a oldie milk bottle. But how about this one? http://fredandfriends.com/products/view/category/table/xtra-creamer
How much decaf do you sell that you are making a pot? My K-Cup decaf is so old! It just doesn't move.
Madeleine said:
See, I almost never get these questions. The coffee pot has a large label. We give a guided tour when they arrive at the dining room. If you water pitcher large enough and filled with ice too? We have cream in a creamer and milk in a milk bottle. I only have one juice though and it's with the ice core.
We don't get these questions either. Our #1 question is, "what's the wifi password?" (Which is, of course, written on the first page in the welcome to the inn book.)
My guests make fun of me every day when I say "Half and half" in my British accent. I put the 1/2 and 1/2 into a cream jug and the milk into an old fashioned milk bottle. Usually it works just fine. My favourite is when they tell me they would rather have mugs than cups ...... and they're looking right at them.
I have handles big enough for a man to hold it without burning his fingers on the cup, and cups large enough that they feel like they got a CUP of coffee. (Those were the instructions to the potter. and he met them. We sell more of them than I ever thought we would. The newest ones are Gillum House blue rather than the burgundy. I thought I had a photo of the blue but I guess not.
lrg_E-mailNewMug.JPG

As long as they keep buying them, I am happy. As long as I use them, guests buy them (and DH does not have to wash saucers).

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
that hurts. I honestly come here for idea exchange and maybe some mutual support.
The truth is I like being optimistic. If I need someone to tell me the downside of owning an inn, all I have to do is turn to my former best friend who has been giving me chit for over a year for doing something new.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
that hurts. I honestly come here for idea exchange and maybe some mutual support.
The truth is I like being optimistic. If I need someone to tell me the downside of owning an inn, all I have to do is turn to my former best friend who has been giving me chit for over a year for doing something new.
I think that was a statement rather than sarcasm. We all hear from our guests how much they love everything. we are and that we do. THAT is why they are OUR guests and not the other B & B.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
I think that was a statement rather than sarcasm. We all hear from our guests how much they love everything. we are and that we do. THAT is why they are OUR guests and not the other B & B.
gillumhouse said:
I hope I didn't overreact, but I took it personally. You wouldn't believe how much support we did NOT get from our friends and family. Only distant friends and strangers gave us any encouragement. It hasn't been easy. And I have become dependent on this group for support.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
gillumhouse said:
I hope I didn't overreact, but I took it personally. You wouldn't believe how much support we did NOT get from our friends and family. Only distant friends and strangers gave us any encouragement. It hasn't been easy. And I have become dependent on this group for support.
I had my INSURANCE man ask when I inquired to the cost of liability insurance, "Do you really think you are going to need that? Who is going to come to Shinnston?" Most of the town thought I would be closed in 6 months. I know negativity. I LIVE with it. Had to fight to get the second bathroom. Had to fight for other things that were going to cost $$ but would in my mind better things. Right now it is the king bed in the room with private bath. I stated what I want to do, he did his negative, and I will do what I think is best. And if history plays out, it will be.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
Our guests DO LOVE everything. Very few are they that don't appreciate what we have on offer. I was just out getting a key from guests who took it with, we are not hotels, we treat them differently and they feel that and love it. The day we think like hotels and our guests feel like we are such is the day we need to close up shop.
It is the little touches that make the difference.

Madeleine said:
I have handles big enough for a man to hold it without burning his fingers on the cup, and cups large enough that they feel like they got a CUP of coffee. (Those were the instructions to the potter. and he met them. We sell more of them than I ever thought we would. The newest ones are Gillum House blue rather than the burgundy. I thought I had a photo of the blue but I guess not.
lrg_E-mailNewMug.JPG

As long as they keep buying them, I am happy. As long as I use them, guests buy them (and DH does not have to wash saucers).
Yup, but I'm in a Victorian era home...
red-teacup.jpg

Madeleine said:
lrg_E-mailNewMug.JPG

red-teacup.jpg

But Jon, EVERYONE knows you are SPECIAL

Madeleine said:
We have mugs for the guests when they get their coffee from the machine in the common area. On our delivered silver beverage trays, we give them English bone china coffee cups and tea cups with saucers. Hmmmmm, I guess we're a combination of shabby & chic
omg_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

Those are cool mugs! Love them.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
gillumhouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
My mother laughed right out loud when I told her about this. "You? Up for breakfast? You? Making beds?" I'm surprised she didn't hurt herself.
Between us we have 8 brothers and sisters. Fewer than half have ever been here. 10 years. Even when we shut down and invited everyone to come for Thanksgiving. And that is a big money weekend for us. It was insulting.
We've missed all kinds of weddings and other things because we didn't know in time to block the date. Then we get grief for taking off, planned, to go to some other family function.
Don't ever think your family gets this.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
gillumhouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
My mother laughed right out loud when I told her about this. "You? Up for breakfast? You? Making beds?" I'm surprised she didn't hurt herself.
Between us we have 8 brothers and sisters. Fewer than half have ever been here. 10 years. Even when we shut down and invited everyone to come for Thanksgiving. And that is a big money weekend for us. It was insulting.
We've missed all kinds of weddings and other things because we didn't know in time to block the date. Then we get grief for taking off, planned, to go to some other family function.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Wow, that is awful! It helps to know we are not the only ones. My sister lives on the same street - maybe 5 doors down - and waited a whole week to come see the place after we moved in. I was beyond hurt. But so busy, I didn't have time to dwell on it.

Madeleine said:
lrg_E-mailNewMug.JPG

red-teacup.jpg

Special as in special Olympics? :)

Madeleine said:
lrg_E-mailNewMug.JPG

red-teacup.jpg

Special as in special Olympics? :)
The interpretation is open to whatever one assigns it. Somehow, Olympics of any kind does not come to mind regarding you. I do not think they have a bed making category as yet.

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
gillumhouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Wow, that is awful! It helps to know we are not the only ones. My sister lives on the same street - maybe 5 doors down - and waited a whole week to come see the place after we moved in. I was beyond hurt. But so busy, I didn't have time to dwell on it.
see that's harsh - though my sister is a very shy quiet person and helping in a BB is not her cup of tea at all - she would be down here in a flash if I needed her (lives just across town) or my parents same thing

Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping

TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
shopping
whatever

Back