Non B&B Guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What things have you found to "child proof" your inn for non-B&B type guests? Not accustomed to the normal routine of a bed and breakfast.
Some of the things discussed here of late by these type guests are:
  • Quiet times
  • Nice home-cooked breakfasts
  • WIFI/TV's
  • Guest Amenities
  • Coffee
  • Other Guests
  • Privacy
  • Unregistered guests
  • Parking/transportation

My biggest non B&B issue is kids. DH has finally agreed with me and gently suggested to a man with an infant that our guests are here to get away from the kids, not to get to know new ones.
The next one is mess. People who assume we have a full compliment of maids just waiting to clean up their last night's dinner and room full of beer cans. Nope. Just us.

We had a couple ask us to not even go into their room. They did not want service. The man locked the front door 'for us.' He filled the coffee pot when the water got low 'for us.' He even walked to the back of the house when he smelled smoke (it was us lighting the grill.)
He was nice, clean, quiet, helpful. When they left, the room was cleaned. He had taken out his own garbage. They left $40 for the maid (a 4 night stay.)
DH offered them 20% off anytime. They called that afternoon to make a return trip. (They had been regular guests at the place next door that recently sold as a single family home. Exactly the guests we want!)

I just wish I had better "radar" to screen out some of the non-B&B people. Today I turned down a wedding night because she wanted to bring an entourage with her, and the other rooms are full of another family. Thankfully she agreed that there would be too big a crowd.
My strange guest from last week claims she "always stays in B&B's". Mucho trash, unregistered male guests, up and down the stairs to smoke all night ...
CVB almost insists that I hand over GC's each year for incoming freshmen parents. A large percentage never redeem them, but the ones who do, even after my detailed explanation think they can check in as late as they want, squeeze in extra people, skip out on breakfast, etc., etc. I think this is the last year I'll participate. Since CVB is ineffective in every other respect, I doubt it will lose me any business

I just wish I had better "radar" to screen out some of the non-B&B people. Today I turned down a wedding night because she wanted to bring an entourage with her, and the other rooms are full of another family. Thankfully she agreed that there would be too big a crowd.
My strange guest from last week claims she "always stays in B&B's". Mucho trash, unregistered male guests, up and down the stairs to smoke all night ...
CVB almost insists that I hand over GC's each year for incoming freshmen parents. A large percentage never redeem them, but the ones who do, even after my detailed explanation think they can check in as late as they want, squeeze in extra people, skip out on breakfast, etc., etc. I think this is the last year I'll participate. Since CVB is ineffective in every other respect, I doubt it will lose me any business.
I would NEVER provide GC on demand from CVB. Let them come clean up and make breakfast then. GRRRRRR. I would not do it again!!

My biggest non B&B issue is kids. DH has finally agreed with me and gently suggested to a man with an infant that our guests are here to get away from the kids, not to get to know new ones.
The next one is mess. People who assume we have a full compliment of maids just waiting to clean up their last night's dinner and room full of beer cans. Nope. Just us..
Ah, yes, the mess... I've been in such a mood lately due to all the inconsiderate guests. I went into one room to freshen up this weekend - flat sheet & bedspread were in a ball on the bed, blood & dirt (shoes?) on the sheets, all towels wet in a pile on the bathroom floor, trash can full of used tampons. I was so over it, I honestly considered just walking out and letting them live in that filth for another night. Absolutely disgusting. I gave them new towels and emptied the trash. But, I made the bed as it was. She can sleep in it!

First inconsiderate parker this week. Week's stay as part of a group. He took the majority of the parking area for his motor home. Had to be told to move it, other guests would soon be using the spaces. Fortunately, the (wonderful) neighbors were good with his parking on the street near them for the week.
During our wedding experience last year, a non-drinking group, and very little bother. I camped out with my laptop downstairs, in view, but discreetly away from the guests, just to keep the weather eye (and of course, assist with any needs)

The next one is mess. People who assume we have a full compliment of maids just waiting to clean up their last night's dinner and room full of beer cans. Nope. Just us..
Ah, yes, the mess... I've been in such a mood lately due to all the inconsiderate guests. I went into one room to freshen up this weekend - flat sheet & bedspread were in a ball on the bed, blood & dirt (shoes?) on the sheets, all towels wet in a pile on the bathroom floor, trash can full of used tampons. I was so over it, I honestly considered just walking out and letting them live in that filth for another night. Absolutely disgusting. I gave them new towels and emptied the trash. But, I made the bed as it was. She can sleep in it!
We had one of these guests. They had made a huge mess on the mattress I dont know if it was blood or an entire bottle of red wine. They covered their tracks very well must have washed all the sheets, covers and mattress protectors x 2. The guests then flipped the mattress.
I only discovered it when I went to flip the mattress and wash the bed skirt etc. It had sunk into the bed base and flat part of the skirt. So it could have been any guest in that 2 week period.

I had a similar situation last week but just could not leave the disgusting sheets on the bed since I was afraid the stains might set. So, after just one night I changed the sheets, and the mattress pad. Towels on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink, coffee grounds all over...BAH! They drove in in a Porsche...should'a known. But, they paid, they stayed and they went away!
wink_smile.gif
DNB for sure. Not worth the disrespect.

Kay Nein said:
When we get guests who make a mess of good towels I replace them with old towels that I don't think are good enough for guests but still okay. This way I get the stains out of good towels, and don't care what they do to the old ones for the rest of the stay.

Kay Nein said:
When we get guests who make a mess of good towels I replace them with old towels that I don't think are good enough for guests but still okay. This way I get the stains out of good towels, and don't care what they do to the old ones for the rest of the stay.
egoodell said:
Kay Nein said:
This made me laugh. Great solution!

Kay Nein said:
We do that too. We've got a couple that stays 2-3 times a year and after they ruined several sheets/towels, we put an old set of sheets and towels in a big plastic zippered bag with their name on the outside. When they make a reservation we haul it out and we're all happy. They don't know the difference and we don't care how they treat the linens. It works!

Kay Nein said:
We do that too. We've got a couple that stays 2-3 times a year and after they ruined several sheets/towels, we put an old set of sheets and towels in a big plastic zippered bag with their name on the outside. When they make a reservation we haul it out and we're all happy. They don't know the difference and we don't care how they treat the linens. It works!
Yes and I do this with the guests who insist on using a good towel at the base of the toilet to catch the drips. I suppose I should be thankful that at least they are not missing the bowl all together!
embaressed_smile.gif

Kay Nein said:
Yes and I do this with the guests who insist on using a good towel at the base of the toilet to catch the drips. I suppose I should be thankful that at least they are not missing the bowl all together!
embaressed_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Ok, maybe I'm just lucky but I have NEVER seen this.

Kay Nein said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
embaressed_smile.gif
TheBeachHouse said:
Silverspoon said:
embaressed_smile.gif
You never know what anyone does with a towel, I think we should all wear hazmat suits in our B&B's. ha
hazmat_suit_up.jpg

We've never had a problem with wet towels left on the bed...until this summer. Now it seems that EVERYONE is doing that! They are leaving their wet towels on the bed that they are going to sleep in that night! I am not changing your sheets because you were stupid and lazy. Hang up the damn towel people! That's what all the hooks are for.

Kay Nein said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Silverspoon said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Hang around long enough and you will see it all!! LOL

We've never had a problem with wet towels left on the bed...until this summer. Now it seems that EVERYONE is doing that! They are leaving their wet towels on the bed that they are going to sleep in that night! I am not changing your sheets because you were stupid and lazy. Hang up the damn towel people! That's what all the hooks are for..
Country Girl said:
We've never had a problem with wet towels left on the bed...until this summer. Now it seems that EVERYONE is doing that! They are leaving their wet towels on the bed that they are going to sleep in that night! I am not changing your sheets because you were stupid and lazy. Hang up the damn towel people! That's what all the hooks are for.
Constant problem. It's worse when they are leaving and now the bed is wet for the next guest. Have to wash and dry everything. PITA! If they are staying, oh well, you made your bed...
We had a family here for a week. DAD slept on top of the covers the whole week. MOM slept in the bed. KIDS slept on top of the blanket, not the sheets. ARGH!

I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone.

I have little signs. One tells that the bottle of white stuff on the counter next to the coffee is half and half. How many guests on an average morning ask me where the half and half is or pour the whole pint on their cereal and then gag or ask me what's in the bottle? 25%. This sign is printed on 4x6 cardboard and is right next to the bottle.
Just added a sign explaining the colors of the coffee pots. (decaf & reg) It's about 50% who ask what the colors mean. 5x7 sign right behind the pots. I'm on the lookout for carafes with 'Decaf' and 'Regular' stamped on the handles. But it won't help.
Another one on the counter for the juice. I get, 'Is this iced tea?' or 'Is this grape juice?' or 'What's this?'. Every single morning.
I wish I could put a governor on the milk carton that would pour out a nice amount of milk and then plug up. SO much milk gets thrown out because guests DROWN their cereal. Seriously people, you shouldn't have more than a tablespoon of milk left when the cereal is gone..
Well, I guess I solve half of those pretty easily. I have the cream in a creamer and the milk in a oldie milk bottle. But how about this one? http://fredandfriends.com/products/view/category/table/xtra-creamer
Don't you have juice in clear bottles with the ice core? They still can't tell?
How much decaf do you sell that you are making a pot? My K-Cup decaf is so old! It just doesn't move.

Back