Non-PAII Members!! B & Bs For Vets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
If you are NOT a member of PAII and want to participate in B & Bs For Vets, please post on your web site that you are doing B & Bs For Vets. BWTS has made it that you must be a PAII member to list on B & Bs For Vets. I hope, if you participate, that you will participate as was intended - one room free for one night.
I decided dropping PAII was not the way to change anything so I did renew. This was supposed to be a minimum of 1 room free. The listings I saw made me ill. I was #28 to sign up (update) my listing. One inn is giving a whole $10 off the rate. Sad.

I thought this was your program, why is PAII making stipulations?
As for the $10 ...yes..sad. Probably not even 10%
I know how hard you worked on the program!

I know how hard you worked on the program!.
I gave it to PAII because I thought they had the resources to keep it going and make it bigger. One of those mistakes we make in life. By this time the first year we had over 300 signed on.
I am no longer going to "word of mouth" promote it - it is no longer a FREE night. 50% off is not a free night. $10 off is not a free night. Even 50% off at many inns is beyond the budget of most of our military. If you are saying thank you there is NO price tag on it.

I gave it to PAII because I thought they had the resources to keep it going and make it bigger. One of those mistakes we make in life. By this time the first year we had over 300 signed on.
I am no longer going to "word of mouth" promote it - it is no longer a FREE night. 50% off is not a free night. $10 off is not a free night. Even 50% off at many inns is beyond the budget of most of our military. If you are saying thank you there is NO price tag on it.
cry_smile.gif
That is very sad. Kathleen, you "made" this program what it is. I understand tho. It is a lot of work.
We have always given away, ALL our rooms on that day. We have always had vets calling us realy early, and also have had a long waiting list!
We are not, paii members, so we can't sign up with them?? again... sad....

cry_smile.gif
That is very sad. Kathleen, you "made" this program what it is. I understand tho. It is a lot of work.
We have always given away, ALL our rooms on that day. We have always had vets calling us realy early, and also have had a long waiting list!
We are not, paii members, so we can't sign up with them?? again... sad....
Sign up? No BUT you can put it on your web site, send out press releases, drum up publicity through your American Legion and your VFW that you are participating in B & Bs For Vets.
We NEED to get the word out that although many are not going to be listed on the web site, many, many more are offering rooms and they are offering them for FREE. Not a discount, FREE.
This got started with e-mails and word of mouth. I guess it needs to continue that way. I understand that PAII NEEDS members and BWTS needs funding. I committed for a 3 year pledge and I honored that commitment yesterday. But that is it. I do not think videos is the only route. Ads on the radio are very effective. My radio is on all day - I am listening to commercials all day and I am hearing ads for HOTELS and ads for RESORTS who are offering the bed & brekfast weekend or the bed & breakfast experience. Where are the ads for the REAL bed & breakfast experience. Small B & Bs like mine with only 3 rooms cannot come up with the money needed to do it. Why isn't BWTS getting radio ads? Get in the smaller markets where it is cheaper - we DO have people in WV who travel. There are people in EVERY State who travel. Sorry, I got carried away again.

Know one knows who PAII is anyway! Unless you are an innkeeper! I dropped then years ago and have never looked back! Best money saved! Just another example why I dropped them! PAII has lost their way!

K, I am so very sorry to hear that BWTS and Paii have chosen the $ over the act of kindness. You worked hard to put this wonderful program in motion a program that not only says thanks to our vets but also is a great way to promote inns across the country (and beyond).
I had joined them a couple years ago when they were telling innkeepers they were working for ALL of us.... I drank the kool aide but the buzz has worn off and as well has the rose colored glasses.
Back to grass roots marketing this wonderful program.

Know one knows who PAII is anyway! Unless you are an innkeeper! I dropped then years ago and have never looked back! Best money saved! Just another example why I dropped them! PAII has lost their way!.
Bob, I know how important PAII is - it IS important. It does for the entire industry what your State Association does (or should do) in your State. It advocates, markets the industry as a whole (NOT individual inns), and maintains standards with the members that lets people know this is a good place.
I used to think PAII was not going to do anything for me - and I think I was probably correct - THEN. But then Jay came on the scene and as PAII managed to get the 1000 lb gorilla, the bane of the B & B industry existance that is complained about almost daily - T A to sit down in a room and at least LISTEN to our needs and problems. It is a slow process but some headway has been made. This happened ONLY because Jay could show numbers. I joined because I understand the importance of numbers. ended up renewing because if you want changes made, you have to work at it from within.
I would encourage any and all innkeepers to join PAII. It is in our best interests to support the only real voice we have collectively on a national level. They have done their part for us by making a dues level of $89 available. Most of us can eke out &89 per year - I said most. I have had times that the $89 would have been difficult, but like everything else - if it is worthwhile (and this is) you "find" the money.

Know one knows who PAII is anyway! Unless you are an innkeeper! I dropped then years ago and have never looked back! Best money saved! Just another example why I dropped them! PAII has lost their way!.
Bob, I know how important PAII is - it IS important. It does for the entire industry what your State Association does (or should do) in your State. It advocates, markets the industry as a whole (NOT individual inns), and maintains standards with the members that lets people know this is a good place.
I used to think PAII was not going to do anything for me - and I think I was probably correct - THEN. But then Jay came on the scene and as PAII managed to get the 1000 lb gorilla, the bane of the B & B industry existance that is complained about almost daily - T A to sit down in a room and at least LISTEN to our needs and problems. It is a slow process but some headway has been made. This happened ONLY because Jay could show numbers. I joined because I understand the importance of numbers. ended up renewing because if you want changes made, you have to work at it from within.
I would encourage any and all innkeepers to join PAII. It is in our best interests to support the only real voice we have collectively on a national level. They have done their part for us by making a dues level of $89 available. Most of us can eke out &89 per year - I said most. I have had times that the $89 would have been difficult, but like everything else - if it is worthwhile (and this is) you "find" the money.
Wow! They must have come down a lot on payment! The last time Iess with them our yearly bill was over $400. I might look at them agaIn after reading your last post!

Wow! They must have come down a lot on payment! The last time Iess with them our yearly bill was over $400. I might look at them agaIn after reading your last post!
Bob, they now have a tiered membership. The lowest tier is on $89. This was Jay's idea a few years ago. He wanted to make it affordable to all innkeepers and hoped that the volume would make up for the lower per inn revenue. Also, to be taken seriously by other organizations, PAII needs to show that it represents a large part of the b&bs. We need more innkeepers, just so we have some clout to be taken seriously.
Since Jay has taken the helm, he has worked hard on making b&bs part of the discussion on the national level. He and PAII are basically our lobbyists. And it's working somewhat. Jay not only has sit down meetings with TA, they are now vendors at all PAII conferences. They are there with all of us forceful innkeepers telling them for days at a time how TA impacts us negatively. The changes you've seen in the last couple of years on TA that have helped b&bs are because of this.
Jay has also been appointed to a national tourism council. I don't remember the name of it, but it's the first time the b&b industry has ever been represented at the national level alongside hotels.

double post

Kathleen, what they have done to your program is wrong. The spirit of what you and the others did has been broken. Please don't let it break your spirit also. All b&bs should be able to participate. I also think it's short sighted of PAII to limit it to members since this program is a perfect way for non-members to get an introduction to PAII and see what the association is all about and hopefully join.
I've never been able to participate in B&Bs for Vets because of not being available during that time, but even so, I feel the loss.
I am proud of you for staying with your membership in PAII so you can help change from within the organization. Your voice is needed. I'm a big supporter of PAII, but I've been VERY disappointed with some decisions of late and especially the BWTS campaigns. I'm going to the Vegas conference and will decide after that whether the BWTS campaign will get any more of my money. I need to see if they are going to continue on the track they've been on or hopefully create more effective campaigns.

This was posted on the PAII forum yesterday: the page is not yet ready for prime time (won't be until next week) and the links for non-members to submit their information have not been added yet, nor have any of the links posted been vetted for compliance with the guidelines.
Hi Everyone,
We're still ironing out a couple details with the site before we launch an email campaign asking y'all to register your specials and participation. So, the low number of participants that you see is merely because we haven't invited anyone to log on and participate just yet. The 30 that are signed up are innkeepers that found it on their own and added their specials, which is great.
As for the specials posted - Marti Mayne is looking over the specials to make certain that they conform to our "Guidelines for Participation." She is contacting any B&Bs that are not following those basic guidelines.
For those of you that haven't listed your participating yet - please don't feel that you're being left out in the cold. We're just making sure that all of the details are ironed out before we launch...to minimize confusion and to make the process as seamless as possible for both vets and innkeepers. We're expecting everything to be ready to go on Monday - so you'll have an email regarding directions early next week.
Thanks for your patience, as always.
Ingrid

I just got the official PAII e-mail and a big cudos to PAII for listening to their members! Both PAII and non-Paii members will be on the same site, but PAII members will be listed on the map. Seems fair to me.

I just got the official PAII e-mail and a big cudos to PAII for listening to their members! Both PAII and non-Paii members will be on the same site, but PAII members will be listed on the map. Seems fair to me..
Breakfast Diva said:
I just got the official PAII e-mail and a big cudos to PAII for listening to their members! Both PAII and non-Paii members will be on the same site, but PAII members will be listed on the map. Seems fair to me.
I believe that non-PAII members will be listed by state with a link to their website, EXACTLY the way everyone was listed on the site prior to PAII taking it over. One difference is the non-PAII members will not be able to show their status as FULL when their rooms are booked.

Back