Non prescription medications for guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Tipsy Butler

Reaction score
I just received the latest box of "goodies" from BC. A hand cream and night-time pain medication. I thought that B&Bs, restaurants etc were not supposed to offer medications of any kind .... or is this something that my poor befuddled brain has made up.

I believe I have been told if someone is in pain like migrane and really needs something to offer them a selection of three different brands so they cannot sue. This way they PICK and DECIDE what they want to take and cannot sue you. But I am only going from recollection, which my DH will tell you is dangerous...
Riki

Hotels have gone to making the guess buy them, no more giving them away. I think liability has something to do with it.

IF you choose to have aspirin or some such thing available, DO NOT EVER OFFER IT TO THE GUEST - PUT IT WHERE THE GUEST CAN HELP THEMSELVES. If you have a couple brands of pain reliever in the medicine chest for example, the GURST is the one who chooses what if anything is taken. If YOU present something and they have a reaction you could be liable. I learned this in my hotel days. If they buy it, it is their choice - if the hotel gives it they are liable. That is why the hotels sell rather than give.

IF you choose to have aspirin or some such thing available, DO NOT EVER OFFER IT TO THE GUEST - PUT IT WHERE THE GUEST CAN HELP THEMSELVES. If you have a couple brands of pain reliever in the medicine chest for example, the GURST is the one who chooses what if anything is taken. If YOU present something and they have a reaction you could be liable. I learned this in my hotel days. If they buy it, it is their choice - if the hotel gives it they are liable. That is why the hotels sell rather than give..
OK - that's exactly what I thought. BC called and asked if I was interested in the hand cream. It's a good fit - I can add it to the amenities in the bathroom or leave as a turn-down extra.
The medications were a complete surprise and my immediate reaction was "I can't use these !"
I don't have a communal guest-supplies area where guests can help themselves to items. Everything is in the room with a note letting guests know they should ask if there's anything else they need / have forgotten (I keep a large stash of stuff).
I'm really not sure what I should do with these samples.

IF you choose to have aspirin or some such thing available, DO NOT EVER OFFER IT TO THE GUEST - PUT IT WHERE THE GUEST CAN HELP THEMSELVES. If you have a couple brands of pain reliever in the medicine chest for example, the GURST is the one who chooses what if anything is taken. If YOU present something and they have a reaction you could be liable. I learned this in my hotel days. If they buy it, it is their choice - if the hotel gives it they are liable. That is why the hotels sell rather than give..
OK - that's exactly what I thought. BC called and asked if I was interested in the hand cream. It's a good fit - I can add it to the amenities in the bathroom or leave as a turn-down extra.
The medications were a complete surprise and my immediate reaction was "I can't use these !"
I don't have a communal guest-supplies area where guests can help themselves to items. Everything is in the room with a note letting guests know they should ask if there's anything else they need / have forgotten (I keep a large stash of stuff).
I'm really not sure what I should do with these samples.
I have an old medicine cabinet in the wall of the old bathroom and a shelf in the new bathroom. IF you choose to have hem available, a small basket/bowl on the shelf in the bathroom would make them available but you NOT giving them to them. BUT ONLY if there are several choices as in aspirin, Ibuprophin, etc If there is only one kind - don't.

I'm not sure if you allow kids, but if you allow children as guests, I would not leave any medication in baskets or anywhere else they could access.

I'm not sure if you allow kids, but if you allow children as guests, I would not leave any medication in baskets or anywhere else they could access..
Point taken. My shelves are up higher than kids and the medicine cabinet has a door in addition to being high up. I do not have any meds out for guests to choose from because I do not take and therefore it does not occur to me to provide. The thoughts such as these only strike in a discussion and then I forget to implement even my own ideas. Being kid friendly, I DO need to consider that.

I'm not sure if you allow kids, but if you allow children as guests, I would not leave any medication in baskets or anywhere else they could access..
Point taken. My shelves are up higher than kids and the medicine cabinet has a door in addition to being high up. I do not have any meds out for guests to choose from because I do not take and therefore it does not occur to me to provide. The thoughts such as these only strike in a discussion and then I forget to implement even my own ideas. Being kid friendly, I DO need to consider that.
;)
LOL If there is one thing I have learned from bwirt, it is that kids climb like monkeys ..well that and never let a kid with mashed potatos all over his face hug your leg as you are on your way out the door to a meeting.
kid.jpg
(no this is not bwirt) but I am sure he will get into the cabinet long before I think it would be possible.

Why not call your insurance carrier and ask them! They are the ones handiling your liability insurance and would be the ones to defend you if anything happened. (heaven forbid)

;)
LOL If there is one thing I have learned from bwirt, it is that kids climb like monkeys ..well that and never let a kid with mashed potatos all over his face hug your leg as you are on your way out the door to a meeting.
kid.jpg
(no this is not bwirt) but I am sure he will get into the cabinet long before I think it would be possible.
Mine has no vanity counter - just a pedestal sink although they can go where we never would have imagined. The other bathroom has glass shelves above the towel rack. If there was a "countertop" anywhere I would have total fear.

Why not call your insurance carrier and ask them! They are the ones handiling your liability insurance and would be the ones to defend you if anything happened. (heaven forbid).
Good idea CH, but even if they give the go-ahead it just seems like such a strange (and potentially dangerous) item to leave readily available .... and going on past experience, if I give them out when people ask, I'll probably have used 2 packets by this time next year .... maybe 5 if I also use them myself.

Sorry but I would not ever offer a guest any type of medication whatsoever. If they have a headache, let them go to a drugstore. You open yourself up to all kinds of issues here. Not worth it. Maybe seem cold but that is the way it is these days.

I would not leave a "bottle of anything," available. What if someone replaces a tablet of the real stuff with something that shouldn't be in the bottle, i.e. heart medicine, blood thinner, etc. There are so many brands out there, I have no idea what it SHOULD look like.

I would not leave a "bottle of anything," available. What if someone replaces a tablet of the real stuff with something that shouldn't be in the bottle, i.e. heart medicine, blood thinner, etc. There are so many brands out there, I have no idea what it SHOULD look like..
Excellent point. Something I never would have imagined - but who ever would have thought safety seals would have been needed in the first place!

Back