Non-slip Bathmats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
One of my bathrooms has a combo tub/shower. Today a guest suggested I put a non-slip (rubber) mat in the tub. I never much liked those things. They don't seem clean, though I guess they are.
The tub surface isn't slick at all and nobody else has mentioned it, but now I'm wondering. Should I have a rubber mat available for those who want to use it? Most hotels I've visited do NOT have one.

We have a rubber mat rolled up and tie a ribbon around it so we know if they used it and we can launder it. We present our bath towels rolled up in a basket and we put the rolled bath mat in the basket also.
I would say that about 10% of the guests use the mat. I'm never sure if they are concerned about slipping or cleanliness, but it's a good idea to have and heaven forbid someone does slip, you've done everything to cover your a** regarding liability.

We used to have the mats rolled up and stuck in the shower. That's pretty much where they stayed. Not happy with that we bought the roll of 'shower tape' that you peel and stick. We put it in a pattern that leads the water to the drain. It's been down for 8 years now and we've only had to replace one short piece in all that time.
It comes clean just with the usual scrubbing and you can scrub it.

I thought about the peel and stick but feared in a tub it might be uncomfortable when you're sitting on it. Fine for a shower but maybe not for a tub/shower combo.

I thought about the peel and stick but feared in a tub it might be uncomfortable when you're sitting on it. Fine for a shower but maybe not for a tub/shower combo..
Arkansawyer said:
I thought about the peel and stick but feared in a tub it might be uncomfortable when you're sitting on it. Fine for a shower but maybe not for a tub/shower combo.
I totally agree.

we have one in every bathroom very rarely used but they are rolled up ready to go if needed and can go in the washing machine easy peasy.
DH used to laugh at me all the time - but we went away and he slipped in the shower and banged himself up - he shut up after that!
I am loony about it as when I worked in a large hotel we had several people fall in showers one woman actually broke a rib in a tub/shower incident

Like you I don't like these things, cleanliness being the main issue.
However we've had a couple of people recently put them down as a suggestion. Looking on eb ay there are some quite nice colours/designs, not just the horrible white ones that remind me of my granny.

One of our tub/showers is an older tub of cast iron with smooth enamel finish. We do provide a tub mat that is routinely laundered after each guest. About 50% of our guests use it. We have found that giving explicit directions about how to secure the mat encourages guests to use it properly to avoid nasty falls. I'm not crazy about the solution but it works and is an inexpensive, sanitary, low maintenance way to provide a secure surface for showering. Last week we had a guest routinely forgo the plastic mat but she put a towel in the tub instead.....what a soggy mess that was every day!

We have one rolled up in every bathroom, and they get used often enough. The new soft material ones seem to launder better - it is a more webbed design and the hair doesn't stick too much. We have had one slip (no injury, fortunately) and we have enough guests who are on the upper side of middle aged that it seems smarter to have them then not.

However we've had a couple of people recently put them down as a suggestion. Looking on eb ay there are some quite nice colours/designs, not just the horrible white ones that remind me of my granny..
we get ours from Primark and Morrisons - they are in a clear blue plastic or a clear one (the blue marks a bit if you leave them down wet) so would recommend the clear
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contemporary-Non-Slip-Mildew-Resistant-Vinyl-Rubber-Pebble-Shower-Mat-3-Colours-/271238824639?pt=UK_Bathroom_Mats_Rugs&var=&hash=item3f271802bf

However we've had a couple of people recently put them down as a suggestion. Looking on eb ay there are some quite nice colours/designs, not just the horrible white ones that remind me of my granny..
we get ours from Primark and Morrisons - they are in a clear blue plastic or a clear one (the blue marks a bit if you leave them down wet) so would recommend the clear
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contemporary-Non-Slip-Mildew-Resistant-Vinyl-Rubber-Pebble-Shower-Mat-3-Colours-/271238824639?pt=UK_Bathroom_Mats_Rugs&var=&hash=item3f271802bf
Yeah. That's the one I bought.
Have got caught out on ebay though, bought new pillow protectors because the old ones are starting to fall apart. Just opened a packet and they're made of a horrible plastic material like waterproof sheets used for bed wetters. The brand is Spi c&S pan. Not using them.
Had another look on ebay and I think the ones I like are polypropylene.

We use leaves. They are made of rubber. You can get them in many patterns . We bought ours at Bath and Beyond. They stick with suction cups. They are easy to clean and we put them in bleach when needed. It does not seem to hurt them any. I have seen them in feet patterns or ducks! You can stick them in the bottom of the tubs in any pattern you wish. They are easy to pull off and we clean them and sanitize them daily.

We use leaves. They are made of rubber. You can get them in many patterns . We bought ours at Bath and Beyond. They stick with suction cups. They are easy to clean and we put them in bleach when needed. It does not seem to hurt them any. I have seen them in feet patterns or ducks! You can stick them in the bottom of the tubs in any pattern you wish. They are easy to pull off and we clean them and sanitize them daily..
Flower said:
We use leaves.
OK, I have a very short attention span. This was as far as I got before I cracked up laughing and pondered the way I also could use leaves in the shower.

Have got caught out on ebay though, bought new pillow protectors because the old ones are starting to fall apart. Just opened a packet and they're made of a horrible plastic material like waterproof sheets used for bed wetters. The brand is Spi c&S pan. Not using them.
we find the best pillow protectors are the zip up ones from out of eden - they are more fabric and zip up so stay on

we find the best pillow protectors are the zip up ones from out of eden - they are more fabric and zip up so stay on
I never thought of looking on out of eden. I've ordered some now. Will remember next time. Thanks.

We use leaves. They are made of rubber. You can get them in many patterns . We bought ours at Bath and Beyond. They stick with suction cups. They are easy to clean and we put them in bleach when needed. It does not seem to hurt them any. I have seen them in feet patterns or ducks! You can stick them in the bottom of the tubs in any pattern you wish. They are easy to pull off and we clean them and sanitize them daily..
Flower said:
We use leaves.
OK, I have a very short attention span. This was as far as I got before I cracked up laughing and pondered the way I also could use leaves in the shower.
I had the same reaction! We only have coniferous trees. Will pine needles work?

We had clear mats with suction and had them rolled up in all our bathrooms near the tubs/showers. Very easy to tell if they were used or not and guests could easily tell that they were very clean. They washed very well in with the towels. I had a few spares. I hung them up to dry with clothes pins on hangers. Guests DID use them regardless of whether the shower/bathtub surface was supposed to be "slip proof". Some shampoos and bath gels can really make those surfaces slick. I highly recommend having them.

Back