Non staying guests taking up our parking spaces including handicapped space for reserved guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNcruzIng

Reaction score
Recently had non paying guest of a paying guest at our inn park in parking space reserved for paying guests with disabilities. The non paying guest of the paying guest had a valid disabled hangtag. Because this person was not a paying guest and all handicapped designated spots are reserved for our ADA rooms we asked this person to move their car out of our parking lot (specifically reserved for paying guests with disabilities). Are we within our rights? Was this in some way discriminatory? We only have one parking space per room which includes our ADA compliant rooms.

I am not in the USA but in the UK people with tags can park anywhere so your spaces should be for your guests

Because the person was taking a space reserved for your guests, I don't see a problem with asking them to move their car especially if you had a guest coming in who you know needed that particular spot.
I also don't see a problem with asking 'guests of guests' to not leave their cars at all.

You have that right since the person was not even a guest. And...in addition to that...why are you permitting non guests in your inn? Keep them out. Tell them your insurance will not cover non paying non guests in your inn. Anyone in our place is a paying guest and that is it. They are told in policies they agree to that no on else is permitted in the house.

Post a sign... Guest parking only all others will be towed at owner's expense. No parking for visitors.
Then do what you must :)

You have that right since the person was not even a guest. And...in addition to that...why are you permitting non guests in your inn? Keep them out. Tell them your insurance will not cover non paying non guests in your inn. Anyone in our place is a paying guest and that is it. They are told in policies they agree to that no on else is permitted in the house..
The paying guests have a bachelorette party and have a whole bunch of friends come over. I hate those parties at our inn. We are not a house but a 10 rooms inn. They ruined my night every time.

You have that right since the person was not even a guest. And...in addition to that...why are you permitting non guests in your inn? Keep them out. Tell them your insurance will not cover non paying non guests in your inn. Anyone in our place is a paying guest and that is it. They are told in policies they agree to that no on else is permitted in the house..
The paying guests have a bachelorette party and have a whole bunch of friends come over. I hate those parties at our inn. We are not a house but a 10 rooms inn. They ruined my night every time.
in the UK we call these Stag and Hen parties - we will not take them, make a huge mess, noise and if they don't book the whole place they disturb other guests.
We have on our terms and conditions if you are a stag or hen party you will be charged in full and turned away as they are not permitted at our establishment

This is not a good thing! If they have a party at your inn, they rent the entire inn and that is it. If they have more than fill the inn, then they should have the party somewhere else. You need to set your policies to meet YOUR needs. If you book parties, then that is what you have party goers not inn guests.

Post a sign... Guest parking only all others will be towed at owner's expense. No parking for visitors.
Then do what you must :).
I agree with Sugar Bear. Post a sign.
As far as a party, have they ok'd that with you? If they did, you should be charging extra. If not, kick them out.

This is not a good thing! If they have a party at your inn, they rent the entire inn and that is it. If they have more than fill the inn, then they should have the party somewhere else. You need to set your policies to meet YOUR needs. If you book parties, then that is what you have party goers not inn guests.
We wish we have known before they booked and we would definitely saying our inn is not the place. They booked online 2 rooms out of our ten.

We wish we have known before they booked and we would definitely saying our inn is not the place. They booked online 2 rooms out of our ten.
BNcruz said:
You need to state in your policies that the rooms are for registered guest use only.

Oh no...that is unacceptable. If they thought they could have a party just by booking 2 rooms, they are wrong. The minute you saw what was up, you should have immediately told them NO. They did not book the entire inn and were not permitted to invite outside guests. I would have told them to get out or you should call the police.
I thought you were booking parties...that is a totally different thing. If you book a party, then require they rent the ENTIRE inn. That is the only logical thing to do. Don't let this happen again. Edit your website immediately and post in policies.

You'll need a new policy. I stinks but you'll have to be sure guests know that the rooms/grounds/etc are ONLY for paying guests. They can rent the whole house but not a couple of rooms and then take over the whole house.
The other guests, the ones who MIGHT come back, won't show up ever again if they felt pushed out.

Back