Normal Guest Room Odors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 1912 house with a crawl space only and escapee from a gulag could fit under - so when we go away the first comment from DH os the "old house smell" somplaint.
I was going to suggest a small dish with vanilla will help a lot. Vanilla is a pleasant oder and it absorbs other odors..
gillumhouse said:
We have a 1912 house with a crawl space only and escapee from a gulag could fit under - so when we go away the first comment from DH os the "old house smell" somplaint.
I was going to suggest a small dish with vanilla will help a lot. Vanilla is a pleasant oder and it absorbs other odors.
Do you mean vanilla extract?
You probably could use vanilla extract. I use real vanilla. I have a friend who get me vanilla in Mexico (and if she has not been here for a while get vanilla at the bulk food).. I checked the bottle says pure vanilla. You do not need much.
gillumhouse said:
You probably could use vanilla extract. I use real vanilla. I have a friend who get me vanilla in Mexico (and if she has not been here for a while get vanilla at the bulk food).. I checked the bottle says pure vanilla. You do not need much.
They lie. It's not pure vanilla. (I did an online search about it once.) But it smells great and is super cheap!!!
=)
Kk.
I get my vanilla in Mexico. It is pure to the extent that it is not imitation. It is pure vanilla extract with alcohol to thin and caramel for color. I can now get it locally. Who wants some? I will p/u a bottle this weekend to check for the nasties that Mexican vanilla can have - but supposedly they can't sell that stuff in the US.

I use a very lightly scented carpet freshening powder at least once a week on all rugs. Just a light amount freshens the rooms, and then freshens them again every time you vac the room because of the powder in the bag.

Glade has a new spray product out called Fabric & Air Odor Eliminator. It eliminates odors without just masking them. Its my favorite new "must have" product. I think it is far superior than Neutra Air for example. Just MHO.

I was going to suggest a small dish with vanilla will help a lot. Vanilla is a pleasant oder and it absorbs other odors..
gillumhouse said:
I was going to suggest a small dish with vanilla will help a lot. Vanilla is a pleasant oder and it absorbs other odors.
Do you mean vanilla extract?
gillumhouse said:
They lie. It's not pure vanilla. (I did an online search about it once.) But it smells great and is super cheap!!!
=)
Kk.
I get my vanilla in Mexico. It is pure to the extent that it is not imitation. It is pure vanilla extract with alcohol to thin and caramel for color. I can now get it locally. Who wants some? I will p/u a bottle this weekend to check for the nasties that Mexican vanilla can have - but supposedly they can't sell that stuff in the US.
I am glad the price has come back down to reasonable. A couple years ago it shot up to almost $60 a pound (that is how the Mt People's Market sells stuff) and the last time I had to buy it (grateful to friends who gift it) vanilla was down to about $25 a pound. Liquids weigh heavy!

you can also make your own vanilla..vodka and vanilla beans...takes about a year but it really is vanilla in its purest form i guess we did it once and it tasted and smelled like the vanilla we bought. yea odors are a pain in old homes.

I have that problem too. I know it may sound wierd but a bown of white vinegar does the trick for me..
Crystal B said:
I have that problem too. I know it may sound wierd but a bown of white vinegar does the trick for me.
bowl?
yes . a BOWL . I am sorry I was typing one handed with an infant on my lap.
The other thing I do is run vinegar through the coffemaker (of course if you don't have those in your rooms this won't work). It works double by freshing the room, and cleaning the coffee maker. When you run the steaming hot vinegar water down the drain it deodorizes the sink/or bathtub smells too.
Vinegar works well in the laundry (along with your regular detergent) as well to get a fresh clean smell to your linens. They come out almost squeeky clean.
Great also for mopping floors and wiping down basins and cleaning mirrors.
Best part about it? Its CHEAP !!

I use a very lightly scented carpet freshening powder at least once a week on all rugs. Just a light amount freshens the rooms, and then freshens them again every time you vac the room because of the powder in the bag..
Little Blue said:
I use a very lightly scented carpet freshening powder at least once a week on all rugs. Just a light amount freshens the rooms, and then freshens them again every time you vac the room because of the powder in the bag.
I've heard that baking soda will do something similar. Just sprinkle it on, then vacuum it up.

Glade has a new spray product out called Fabric & Air Odor Eliminator. It eliminates odors without just masking them. Its my favorite new "must have" product. I think it is far superior than Neutra Air for example. Just MHO..
The Farmers Daughter said:
Glade has a new spray product out called Fabric & Air Odor Eliminator. It eliminates odors without just masking them. Its my favorite new "must have" product. I think it is far superior than Neutra Air for example. Just MHO.
Do you think it's better than Febreeze? We use that. It does help, but obviously not perfectly.

Glade has a new spray product out called Fabric & Air Odor Eliminator. It eliminates odors without just masking them. Its my favorite new "must have" product. I think it is far superior than Neutra Air for example. Just MHO..
Do you think it's better than Febreeze? We use that. It does help, but obviously not perfectly.
Proud Texan said:
Yes, it is better.

you can also make your own vanilla..vodka and vanilla beans...takes about a year but it really is vanilla in its purest form i guess we did it once and it tasted and smelled like the vanilla we bought. yea odors are a pain in old homes..
How much vodka and how much vanilla beans? Formula/Recipe? Whatever....

you can also make your own vanilla..vodka and vanilla beans...takes about a year but it really is vanilla in its purest form i guess we did it once and it tasted and smelled like the vanilla we bought. yea odors are a pain in old homes..
gillumhouse said:
Probably depends on how much you are drinking while you are making the vanilla
smileystooges.gif

gillumhouse said:
Probably depends on how much you are drinking while you are making the vanilla
smileystooges.gif

That's what I was thinking...the more vodka, the less the odors bother you!

Back