Not all innkeepers are great

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We have alluded to this in the past, some here say "I have never met an innkeeper that was not outstanding!" then some say "no heat, burnt food" "dirty dusty miserable place and innkeepers in your business all the time" "we were just numbers" etc etc. Most of us have at last one story.
Had a call from a man wanting to book a room. Within our conversation, my asking "Oh is this a special ocassion?" like I do and getting the "WHY" for the visit, and being personable he tells me they stayed here years ago and swore they would never come back!
WHAT!
whattha.gif

He said his wife nearly fell through the porch it was in such a dissarray, the owners were not friendly at all, and they in all their years before nor since have never encountered such as bad a stay at a B&B!
They spoke of the PO's by name, which of course, are their same first names - so I saw immediately how they recalled them by name.
What could I do? I told them "I know you will love all the changes you find here!" This was before he told me some of the down and dirty of the stay. So in the end, I gave them a $20 off per night discount, and told them "We want you to use that toward a nice meal! We don't want anyone leaving here feeling it was a bad stay! We want you to come back!"
He was shocked and impressed and very happy. Since that stay many years ago they have stayed in other places even though they went to an event near us over the years, a certain summertime dinner theater. I just wish he had contacted us before now.
Boo hoo see what happens y'all...they run them off, those BAD PO'S!!!

wow. good for you. do you have any idea why they decided to call you? saw your new site? drove by?

wow. good for you. do you have any idea why they decided to call you? saw your new site? drove by?.
seashanty said:
wow. good for you. do you have any idea why they decided to call you? saw your new site? drove by?
They go to this dinner theater nearly annually, and we are the only B&B really within 25 miles of it, so any others they had to drive quite a distance.
They have been to our lake every summer as well.
I was sad to hear all of this, really sad, AND THEN MAD. There is nothing we can do about those who went before us and screwed things up, and as you know guests just see the B&B as the B&B, not that those owners are sold and gone.
So they probably saw us online, since he was going to book online first then called. THey live quite a distance from here.
ANOTHER REASON TO PUT YOUR UGLY MUGS ON YOUR WEBSITE. As much as we hate to have them on there, we just gotta do it. I hope we can win this couple over and they will become regulars with us!

I do not see how they could NOT love the "new" owners! The B & B is beautify, uber well-maintained, and the hosts gracious, hospitable, and just plain NICE!

I do not see how they could NOT love the "new" owners! The B & B is beautify, uber well-maintained, and the hosts gracious, hospitable, and just plain NICE!.
And that front wrap porch is beautiful!!!!!
RIki

Every profession has "clinkers". Unfortunately if thre is a clinker in THIS industry, they seem to paint everyone with the same brush in the monds of their guests. They will stay in hotel after hotel that is dirty or has a surly staff and go right back to another hotel, but if there is a bad B & Bexperience, that is the last time they will go to a B & B.

I know how you feel, we are not owners of this B & B but the innkeepers that were hired before us gave the business a bad name imagine a guest walking in and sayin: Thank God that she got rid of the innkeepers from last year or I would not have stayed here for this festival this year. Of course since then we have had stellar reviews (thank God) and everyone that has come back said that we are great.
I believe that the Innkeepers make the stay better even if there are other problems...Good for you and we all know you will blow them out of the water!

Our place has been a B&B since the 70's so there have been at least 5 PO's that I know off. The last lot were getting divorced and she had never wanted to do it in the first place but he had bought it off his parents as "easy money" and employed one girl to do breakfast and then the rooms afterwards. He used to leave the back door open all the time and you rang when you got there and he told you what room you were in and you took the key and sorted youself out. There was nothing really awful but nothing stellar either.

We have wonder PO's! They were rather low-key and therefore made no enemies (a good thing), but low-key also meant that we had a lot of marketing to do (not such a good thing). They've been very helpful, though we don't call on them nearly as much as we used to. They live close by and our kids go to the same school. We run into each other frequently and we're friends on FB. They enjoy coming over occasionally to see what we've done with the place. We're very fortunate.

Back