Not as much fun as it used to be

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
This year feels so off. I find myself resentful of the guests instead of hospitable. I’m a stickler for the rules, so I’m always tense or worried. There is little interaction or chitchat so I could be running a motel. I try and try to explain breakfast and they don’t either care or listen or read and we end up chasing our tails. Yesterday, I thought we were alone and suddenly saw they guy from room twomhanging out by the pond! It was one o’clock! I told him checkout is 11 and we need for him to go. It took him another half hour before his car was gone!
In years past, we had a nice dance going. Now we are two left feet and zero rhythm.
Oh well. We have a low maintenance pair of regulars coming today. Fingers crossed.

We have felt off too. Our guests have ended up on either end of the spectrum: Either so glad we're open and happy about everything, or just taking advantage in every was imaginable (and some not).
Yesterday I had a guest tie a hammock to two of the beams on our wedding pavilion, stretch it out and take a 2-hour nap.
1*FOv59MyL9kzKxGTNAASn3g.jpeg

Our restaurants are open for indoor dining here, with a few rules. Not over 60% regular capacity, tables are 10' apart, staff must wear a mask all the time, customers must wear one arriving and leaving, and anytime they get up from their table, like to use the bathroom. That's it. Not that hard.
We've already had one local restaurant voluntarily shut back down because some people don't take the rules seriously and want to argue with the wait staff about the reasons for the rules. So they're back to offering carry out only.
There's a real problem with people wanting to argue with the people who don't make the rules, but try to follow them. And yesterday I saw a Facebook video of an apparently mentally-disturbed woman declaring war on a rack of face masks for sale at Target. This pandemic has led to a pandemic of people in denial about the whole thing!

Yes, this year is off. We’ve had two guests so far. Luckily, we have been able to chat with them as usual and we haven’t had to do anything out of the ordinary because it has been one room at a time.
But. The haters are out. I’ve been accused, practically, of bringing the plague to my town because I’m open. I don’t know if the stores and restaurants are being harassed as well.
We’re limiting (it’s not difficult, ha ha) the number of rooms we have at any time. We’re required to get the guest to sign in that they are not ill.
So far, people want to argue with me about the regulations before they arrive. Some store owners have had to deal with the ‘my rights’ people in person, but they’ve just asked the customers to leave. As far as I know no one has turned violent, just nasty. Hey, the rules are well-publicized. You’re welcome to go home.
i guess we’ve been lucky that we’ve had repeats who know us. And who are appreciative of the way we’ve committed to taking care of things properly.

Out of practice, too. Totally forgot snacks today. Oh well.

Throwing in my two cents.
Our province has opened up to an ‘Atlantic Bubble’. Only those provinces (New Brunswick, P.E.I., and Nova Scotia) plus our own can visit our province without the mandatory 14 day isolation. Even that is subject to approval of an exemption to even be in our province. Had a call from someone outside of that bubble (Quebec) who said they had visited Nova Scotia and somehow made it in and wanted me to say that since they had travelled from there they were not subject to that self isolation. I know for a fact that they couldn’t just ‘stay way from people’ but still tour around. How would they eat other than breakfast? Get gas? Visit attractions that are open? If you are in self isolation, you aren’t even allowed out of your room or house or cabin, whatever the circumstance. Someone has to bring you food and leave it outside your door! Didn’t get that booking (whew).
People in this province and not proving to be very hospitable to anyone they think isn’t supposed to be here because we’ve had no new cases for 40 days but we still have restrictions for medical procedures, visitation for hospital and long term care homes and some government services. We will be in lockdown before the end of summer I’m sure and I’m only getting my first two rooms today. 2020 will definitely be remembered.

My wife is off at a Maine inn this week.
They did low-contact check-in by having a sign telling guests to call a number when they pulled up. Innkeeper walked out with mask and gloves and had them sign-in.

And then you have a day where you’re checking Facebook before you get out of bed and decide to post a silly picture of something you’ve posted a half dozen times in the past month or so and someone with a huge following decides to share it. And lo and behold, by the time you’re done serving breakfast almost 6000 people have seen it.

Our province has opened up to an ‘Atlantic Bubble’. Only those provinces (New Brunswick, P.E.I., and Nova Scotia) plus our own can visit our province without the mandatory 14 day isolation. Even that is subject to approval of an exemption to even be in our province. Had a call from someone outside of that bubble (Quebec) who said they had visited Nova Scotia and somehow made it in and wanted me to say that since they had travelled from there they were not subject to that self isolation. I know for a fact that they couldn’t just ‘stay way from people’ but still tour around. How would they eat other than breakfast? Get gas? Visit attractions that are open? If you are in self isolation, you aren’t even allowed out of your room or house or cabin, whatever the circumstance. Someone has to bring you food and leave it outside your door! Didn’t get that booking (whew).
People in this province and not proving to be very hospitable to anyone they think isn’t supposed to be here because we’ve had no new cases for 40 days but we still have restrictions for medical procedures, visitation for hospital and long term care homes and some government services. We will be in lockdown before the end of summer I’m sure and I’m only getting my first two rooms today. 2020 will definitely be remembered..
2cat_lady said:
Our province has opened up to an ‘Atlantic Bubble’...
From today's Johns Hopkins University C19 report. Amazing what a difference an international border, and a different way of responding to things, can make!!
C19%20July%208%202020.jpg

Yep agree here too...tourist flocking even though events canceled left and right, retailers paranoid and over-reacting, strict with all the chasing people with hand-sanitizer etc... but it's the warmest summer we've had in a couple years and the Lake is AMAZING...so here they all come.
Explaining all the extra stuff...disinfectant, hand-sanitizer, wipes, cleaning, spacing, etc...is exhausting, so please be nice.
So we'll greet you at the door with a bare face and allow you to do what is comfortable for you. We won't pretend to be medical professionals and require you to let us take your temperature, and there are plenty of options for separate dining...all we want to do is say hello, welcome, we hope you have an enjoyable stay, let's all be respectful of each other...
If I get a cranky-pants that wants to fight, I will not hesitate to offer their remaining $$ back and ask them to leave or be civil...I mean after all, isn't the cliché, "we're all in this @*%*&$@ together"...?

Yep agree here too...tourist flocking even though events canceled left and right, retailers paranoid and over-reacting, strict with all the chasing people with hand-sanitizer etc... but it's the warmest summer we've had in a couple years and the Lake is AMAZING...so here they all come.
Explaining all the extra stuff...disinfectant, hand-sanitizer, wipes, cleaning, spacing, etc...is exhausting, so please be nice.
So we'll greet you at the door with a bare face and allow you to do what is comfortable for you. We won't pretend to be medical professionals and require you to let us take your temperature, and there are plenty of options for separate dining...all we want to do is say hello, welcome, we hope you have an enjoyable stay, let's all be respectful of each other...
If I get a cranky-pants that wants to fight, I will not hesitate to offer their remaining $$ back and ask them to leave or be civil...I mean after all, isn't the cliché, "we're all in this @*%*&$@ together"...?.
Your state, locality allows bare-face?

If I get a cranky-pants that wants to fight, I will not hesitate to offer their remaining $$ back and ask them to leave or be civil...I mean after all, isn't the cliché, "we're all in this @*%*&$@ together"...?.
As far as I know there aren't any state or federal LAWS (having due process with voter and legislative input and participation) against "bare-face"...

As far as I know there aren't any state or federal LAWS (having due process with voter and legislative input and participation) against "bare-face"...
Northern Dreamer said:
So, because there is no law you’re OK with guests possibly spreading the virus to your other guests? There’s no place for social responsibility as long as there is no law demanding compliance?
No moral compass directing people’s activities?
It’s truly a sad, sad time.

I hope you have notified all of your guests with your (lack of) safety protocols. I for one would never stay with your bare-face-is-fine-here attitude.

Northern Dreamer said:
So, because there is no law you’re OK with guests possibly spreading the virus to your other guests? There’s no place for social responsibility as long as there is no law demanding compliance?
I am okay with guests being socially responsible adults and making their own decisions - which includes self-monitoring, wearing a mask if they choose to, knowing where they have been and if they are a risk or not, being others aware, being kind, and respecting everyone else and their decisions. That is how I prefer to be treated. People who book here know it is a smaller B&B and if folks are as self-centered and concerned about protecting themselves (as they usually are), then other folks will be protected simply because others won't break that distance barrier between themselves the other people.
I don't understand how we can live as mature, respectful adults, and be socially responsible, and expect to get to direct and dictate other mature and respectful people's activities. It's a two-way street of trust. The problem in our world today is that people try to be someone else's moral compass instead of having one themselves.
My moral compass, treat others as I would want to be treated, not micro-manage, play the role of their mother or dictator. Sounds like a wonderful world to me.

Northern Dreamer said:
I am okay with guests being socially responsible adults and making their own decisions - which includes self-monitoring, wearing a mask if they choose to, knowing where they have been and if they are a risk or not, being others aware, being kind, and respecting everyone else and their decisions. That is how I prefer to be treated. People who book here know it is a smaller B&B and if folks are as self-centered and concerned about protecting themselves (as they usually are), then other folks will be protected simply because others won't break that distance barrier between themselves the other people.
I don't understand how we can live as mature, respectful adults, and be socially responsible, and expect to get to direct and dictate other mature and respectful people's activities. It's a two-way street of trust. The problem in our world today is that people try to be someone else's moral compass instead of having one themselves.
My moral compass, treat others as I would want to be treated, not micro-manage, play the role of their mother or dictator. Sounds like a wonderful world to me.
You are NOT alone. I am also bare-faced. Yesterday, guests showed up with masks at their necks but never put them on. They are enjoying themselves.
No one has asked me anything other than do you have a room?
I do not mock, taunt, make cracks at (or laugh) at anyone who wears a mask. That is THEIR choice. I am getting VERY tired of being told I do not care about others because I do not wear one. I DO care - I do not visit friends who are old or compromised, I DO keep a distance. I do NOT hug anyone. IF a person is afraid, do what you have to do, your choice. I do what I have to do.
Those who do not wear masks are being treated worse than smokers right now. I do not breathe on anyone and I do not cough on anyone or over food. I have ALWAYS washed my hands (Mom would slap the crap out of anyone who did not!). IF you do not wish to stay at my B & B, enjoy where you do stay. I am busier than I expected to be. Got 2-nights last night from the road - same thing last week.
I am also running a Municipal Election right now & have early voting this week and next. Running ragged? Yep! Plus I have a Council meeting Monday night.

Northern Dreamer said:
You are NOT alone. I am also bare-faced. Yesterday, guests showed up with masks at their necks but never put them on. They are enjoying themselves.
No one has asked me anything other than do you have a room?
I do not mock, taunt, make cracks at (or laugh) at anyone who wears a mask. That is THEIR choice. I am getting VERY tired of being told I do not care about others because I do not wear one. I DO care - I do not visit friends who are old or compromised, I DO keep a distance. I do NOT hug anyone. IF a person is afraid, do what you have to do, your choice. I do what I have to do.
Those who do not wear masks are being treated worse than smokers right now. I do not breathe on anyone and I do not cough on anyone or over food. I have ALWAYS washed my hands (Mom would slap the crap out of anyone who did not!). IF you do not wish to stay at my B & B, enjoy where you do stay. I am busier than I expected to be. Got 2-nights last night from the road - same thing last week.
I am also running a Municipal Election right now & have early voting this week and next. Running ragged? Yep! Plus I have a Council meeting Monday night.
Thank you! We are always very kind and courteous to all our guests and respect their choices. We have healthy lifestyles and manners, plus also refrain from hand-shaking and hugging, while keeping plenty of space, but load up on the smiles, welcomes, and little extras to make them feel at ease!

'Cranky pants'?
You say on your website that you do not wear face masks? That you do not require them in common areas and you reiterate this in the reservation process?
I am sorry, but if your bnb is the bnb I think it is, I don't see this stated. I see NO mention of face masks at all.
I just see mention of rigorous cleaning, disinfection and hand sanitizers. These measures don't take the place of face masks and maybe those cranky pants people just assume they are part of your COVID-19 precautionary measures.
If I booked someplace and wasn't told about the 'bare face' policy, I'd be a cranky pants.
So I guess it's on me to ask if a place uses and requires face masks or not so I can decide where to stay.

Laws are usually permanent. We are hopefully facing a temporary crisis, which is why governors and mayors are given the LAWFUL right to declare executive orders in times of emergency.

Back