Not as much fun as it used to be

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep agree here too...tourist flocking even though events canceled left and right, retailers paranoid and over-reacting, strict with all the chasing people with hand-sanitizer etc... but it's the warmest summer we've had in a couple years and the Lake is AMAZING...so here they all come.
Explaining all the extra stuff...disinfectant, hand-sanitizer, wipes, cleaning, spacing, etc...is exhausting, so please be nice.
So we'll greet you at the door with a bare face and allow you to do what is comfortable for you. We won't pretend to be medical professionals and require you to let us take your temperature, and there are plenty of options for separate dining...all we want to do is say hello, welcome, we hope you have an enjoyable stay, let's all be respectful of each other...
If I get a cranky-pants that wants to fight, I will not hesitate to offer their remaining $$ back and ask them to leave or be civil...I mean after all, isn't the cliché, "we're all in this @*%*&$@ together"...?.
Your state, locality allows bare-face?
As far as I know there aren't any state or federal LAWS (having due process with voter and legislative input and participation) against "bare-face"...
Northern Dreamer said:
As far as I know there aren't any state or federal LAWS (having due process with voter and legislative input and participation) against "bare-face"...
So, because there is no law you’re OK with guests possibly spreading the virus to your other guests? There’s no place for social responsibility as long as there is no law demanding compliance?
No moral compass directing people’s activities?
It’s truly a sad, sad time.
I am okay with guests being socially responsible adults and making their own decisions - which includes self-monitoring, wearing a mask if they choose to, knowing where they have been and if they are a risk or not, being others aware, being kind, and respecting everyone else and their decisions. That is how I prefer to be treated. People who book here know it is a smaller B&B and if folks are as self-centered and concerned about protecting themselves (as they usually are), then other folks will be protected simply because others won't break that distance barrier between themselves the other people.
I don't understand how we can live as mature, respectful adults, and be socially responsible, and expect to get to direct and dictate other mature and respectful people's activities. It's a two-way street of trust. The problem in our world today is that people try to be someone else's moral compass instead of having one themselves.
My moral compass, treat others as I would want to be treated, not micro-manage, play the role of their mother or dictator. Sounds like a wonderful world to me.
You are NOT alone. I am also bare-faced. Yesterday, guests showed up with masks at their necks but never put them on. They are enjoying themselves.
No one has asked me anything other than do you have a room?
I do not mock, taunt, make cracks at (or laugh) at anyone who wears a mask. That is THEIR choice. I am getting VERY tired of being told I do not care about others because I do not wear one. I DO care - I do not visit friends who are old or compromised, I DO keep a distance. I do NOT hug anyone. IF a person is afraid, do what you have to do, your choice. I do what I have to do.
Those who do not wear masks are being treated worse than smokers right now. I do not breathe on anyone and I do not cough on anyone or over food. I have ALWAYS washed my hands (Mom would slap the crap out of anyone who did not!). IF you do not wish to stay at my B & B, enjoy where you do stay. I am busier than I expected to be. Got 2-nights last night from the road - same thing last week.
I am also running a Municipal Election right now & have early voting this week and next. Running ragged? Yep! Plus I have a Council meeting Monday night.
Thank you! We are always very kind and courteous to all our guests and respect their choices. We have healthy lifestyles and manners, plus also refrain from hand-shaking and hugging, while keeping plenty of space, but load up on the smiles, welcomes, and little extras to make them feel at ease!
Northern Dreamer said:
Thank you! We are always very kind and courteous to all our guests and respect their choices. We have healthy lifestyles and manners, plus also refrain from hand-shaking and hugging, while keeping plenty of space, but load up on the smiles, welcomes, and little extras to make them feel at ease!
This is absolutely NOT about ‘choices.’ You cannot ‘choose’ to refuse to protect those around you. (Well, obviously I’m wrong about that!) Not a single person, except those who are actively showing symptoms, knows if they are infected.
It’s remarkably callous to decide YOU are the arbiter of someone else’s health by not taking a remarkably simple precaution.
States that flouted all the precautions as thousands DIED in the states first hit should have learned something from that. It appears not.
People are dead right now who should be alive because of the crappy attitude that is pervading this country. I call bullshit. You want to do what you want? Close your business. But you should not be inflicting your beliefs on unsuspecting guests.
However, if all of your guests are of the same beliefs, well let’s hope you’re not the next statistical hot spot.
Seriously, I could just cry reading how cavalier people are.

Yep agree here too...tourist flocking even though events canceled left and right, retailers paranoid and over-reacting, strict with all the chasing people with hand-sanitizer etc... but it's the warmest summer we've had in a couple years and the Lake is AMAZING...so here they all come.
Explaining all the extra stuff...disinfectant, hand-sanitizer, wipes, cleaning, spacing, etc...is exhausting, so please be nice.
So we'll greet you at the door with a bare face and allow you to do what is comfortable for you. We won't pretend to be medical professionals and require you to let us take your temperature, and there are plenty of options for separate dining...all we want to do is say hello, welcome, we hope you have an enjoyable stay, let's all be respectful of each other...
If I get a cranky-pants that wants to fight, I will not hesitate to offer their remaining $$ back and ask them to leave or be civil...I mean after all, isn't the cliché, "we're all in this @*%*&$@ together"...?.
Northern Dreamer said:
So, because there is no law you’re OK with guests possibly spreading the virus to your other guests? There’s no place for social responsibility as long as there is no law demanding compliance?
I am okay with guests being socially responsible adults and making their own decisions - which includes self-monitoring, wearing a mask if they choose to, knowing where they have been and if they are a risk or not, being others aware, being kind, and respecting everyone else and their decisions. That is how I prefer to be treated. People who book here know it is a smaller B&B and if folks are as self-centered and concerned about protecting themselves (as they usually are), then other folks will be protected simply because others won't break that distance barrier between themselves the other people.
I don't understand how we can live as mature, respectful adults, and be socially responsible, and expect to get to direct and dictate other mature and respectful people's activities. It's a two-way street of trust. The problem in our world today is that people try to be someone else's moral compass instead of having one themselves.
My moral compass, treat others as I would want to be treated, not micro-manage, play the role of their mother or dictator. Sounds like a wonderful world to me.
You are NOT alone. I am also bare-faced. Yesterday, guests showed up with masks at their necks but never put them on. They are enjoying themselves.
I do not mock, taunt, make cracks at (or laugh) at anyone who wears a mask. That is THEIR choice. I am getting VERY tired of being told I do not care about others because I do not wear one. I DO care - I do not visit friends who are old or compromised, I DO keep a distance. I do NOT hug anyone. IF a person is afraid, do what you have to do, your choice. I do what I have to do.
Those who do not wear masks are being treated worse than smokers right now. I do not breathe on anyone and I do not cough on anyone or over food. I have ALWAYS washed my hands (Mom would slap the crap out of anyone who did not!). IF you do not wish to stay at my B & B, enjoy where you do stay. I am busier than I expected to be. Got 2-nights last night from the road - same thing last week.
I am also running a Municipal Election right now & have early voting this week and next. Running ragged? Yep! Plus I have a Council meeting Monday night.
Northern Dreamer said:
You obviously haven't been affected YET. My son and sister have both had it. Along with a long time guest and two of my cousins. In addition, we lost a well-known woman in our small Massachusetts town; plus another good friend and neighbor of 35 years; plus the father of my 40 year old daughter's high school friend; plus the father of my 31 year old daughter's college friend. In addition there is a well known innkeeper who is now still on oxygen with multiple system issues who began her battle over 110 days ago.

Laws are usually permanent. We are hopefully facing a temporary crisis, which is why governors and mayors are given the LAWFUL right to declare executive orders in times of emergency.
They can declare EO but they are not Laws.

Wow people, stand down. This is the problem - attacking and shaming people for having the right to make their own mind up. Nobody that comes here is unsuspecting. We have communicated with our guests. Stop bullying. Even multiple county police departments have publicly posted they ARE CHOOSING not to enforce this and more announce this daily...so it is about choice.
...Please think about how absurd you are sounding.
Have a great summer!

Laws are usually permanent. We are hopefully facing a temporary crisis, which is why governors and mayors are given the LAWFUL right to declare executive orders in times of emergency.
They can declare EO but they are not Laws.
Again, in your state of Michigan it will be a misdemeanor and criminal fine of $500 effective Monday July 13 for bare face. Call it whatever you wish.

And since you are in Michigan, you know that the mask Executive order goes into effect July 13 and violators are subject to a $500 criminal fine as a misdemeanor.

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
The problem in our world today is that people try to be someone else's moral compass instead of having one themselves.
I don't disagree with your outlook, but then I'm also a chicken, my special person is only one breath away from a problem without the virus so I tend to be cautious. Our guest rooms don't require coming in our home, these days guest contact is limited to sign the registration and card slip and leave the key on departure, at which point the room sits for several days before cleaning for the next guest. We operate at half capacity

Also, an EO does have the power of law.
Legislators give executives through laws the authority to do things. Thus if your state (and it does) has a law to give your governor the power to do things, she can lawfully do things.
In our state, the legislature long ago gave the governor the power to take certain measures in a state emergency. If he does things that aren't covered by the statute, I'm sure our lawmakers will be quick to make him pay for it.
On a separate note, I'm glad I'm not your insurance company.

Wow people, stand down. This is the problem - attacking and shaming people for having the right to make their own mind up. Nobody that comes here is unsuspecting. We have communicated with our guests. Stop bullying. Even multiple county police departments have publicly posted they ARE CHOOSING not to enforce this and more announce this daily...so it is about choice.
Have a great summer!.
Shaming? Attacking? Bullying? Absurd? THIS IS NOT A CHOICE:
June 10, 2020 DETROIT – With new cases of COVID-19 rising, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed a new Executive Order requiring Michiganders to wear masks in indoor public spaces and some outdoor public spaces.
Executive Order 2020-147 reiterates that individuals are required to wear a face covering whenever they are in an indoor public space. It also requires the use of face coverings in crowded outdoor spaces, where you cannot maintain proper social distancing.
Additionally, businesses are required to refuse entry to people who do not wear a mask. A willful violation of the order is a misdemeanor subject to a $500 fine.
The order was issued Friday, just before 612 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were announced by the state -- the highest one-day total since May.
Whitmer is making it clear that she expects business owners and the people who work there to enforce the new order on masks.

Our state has taken a pretty fair approach to the one or two businesses who think they don't need to follow the edicts because freedom or whatever.
Step 1 - Education. Officials visit the business, explain why the EO or rule was put in place, try and convince business owner to follow the law.
Step 2 - Warning. Serve them with letter warning of consequences of failing to follow the directives.
Step 3- Consequences. Pull their licenses. Room license, liquor license, health licenses. Tell 'em they're shut down.
Step 4 - Padlocks. We had one gym owner who thought he was God's gift to freedom. Went through steps 1-3. The next day, state law officers were in front of his doors with padlocks locking all the doors. They handed him the papers telling him when to appear in court and left him to figure out how to enjoy his freedom.
It's worth noting that our state is the only one in the nation that is beating this thing for now.

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
This is absolutely NOT about ‘choices.’ You cannot ‘choose’ to refuse to protect those around you. (Well, obviously I’m wrong about that!) Not a single person, except those who are actively showing symptoms, knows if they are infected.
It’s remarkably callous to decide YOU are the arbiter of someone else’s health by not taking a remarkably simple precaution.
States that flouted all the precautions as thousands DIED in the states first hit should have learned something from that. It appears not.
People are dead right now who should be alive because of the crappy attitude that is pervading this country. I call bullshit. You want to do what you want? Close your business. But you should not be inflicting your beliefs on unsuspecting guests.
However, if all of your guests are of the same beliefs, well let’s hope you’re not the next statistical hot spot.
Ditto. This laissez faire attitude applied to the Covid19 situation is resulting in human carnage. I wonder if those of you who are promoting it would feel comfortable if your surgeon decided to de-mask before cutting you open. You are being callus and irresponsible at other’s expense.

I hope you have notified all of your guests with your (lack of) safety protocols. I for one would never stay with your bare-face-is-fine-here attitude.

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
Ditto. This laissez faire attitude applied to the Covid19 situation is resulting in human carnage. I wonder if those of you who are promoting it would feel comfortable if your surgeon decided to de-mask before cutting you open. You are being callus and irresponsible at other’s expense.
I am sorry you feel I am being callous.
I live in West Virginia where we have LOTS of open space and fresh air. Other than Morgantown (WVU where students come from all over), we have few cases. We have had less that 100 deaths - and most of those were patients in nursing homes.
We DO social distancing normally except for funerals and friends & family. We do not live "on top" of each other. My closest neighbor is 1/4 of a block away and only that close because at one time it was part of my property. There WAS a house across the street until the Fire Dept bought it and tore it down. That is why I do not have to get a mask on. I am not belittling anyone for wearing one. I am not going anywhere near any of or yours. Other than the guests who CHOOSE to come here, I do not go near much of anyone.

If a mask lessons the likelihood that you'll infect a guest -- or that they'll infect you, then you're an idiot or self-centered not to wear it.
Sorry if you see this as an attack -- on you, your liberties, or whatever -- but anti-maskers are the reason this thing is suddenly re-rearing its ugly head, and a reason our industry is going get shut back down soon.
Suck it up. Do what you're supposed to do. Be a grown-up. Not a child holding his breath because he's being told to eat his broccoli.
You're an innkeeper. Among your duties is to ensure a safe and sanitary place for you guests to stay. If you think that's silly, then sell now.
/rant

Have a great summer!.

If a mask lessons the likelihood that you'll infect a guest -- or that they'll infect you, then you're an idiot or self-centered not to wear it.
Sorry if you see this as an attack -- on you, your liberties, or whatever -- but anti-maskers are the reason this thing is suddenly re-rearing its ugly head, and a reason our industry is going get shut back down soon.
Suck it up. Do what you're supposed to do. Be a grown-up. Not a child holding his breath because he's being told to eat his broccoli.
You're an innkeeper. Among your duties is to ensure a safe and sanitary place for you guests to stay. If you think that's silly, then sell now.
/rant.
Exactly. Thank you for saying what the most of us were thinking

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
I live in West Virginia where we have LOTS of open space and fresh air. Other than Morgantown (WVU where students come from all over), we have few cases. We have had less that 100 deaths - and most of those were patients in nursing homes.
We DO social distancing normally except for funerals and friends & family. We do not live "on top" of each other. My closest neighbor is 1/4 of a block away and only that close because at one time it was part of my property. There WAS a house across the street until the Fire Dept bought it and tore it down. That is why I do not have to get a mask on. I am not belittling anyone for wearing one. I am not going anywhere near any of or yours. Other than the guests who CHOOSE to come here, I do not go near much of anyone.
There were 163 new cases in WV just today. Our state had 21, Phinn's state had 6, and NH had 33. As of July 1 there has been a steep spike of active cases in WV and in the last week COVID hospitalizations have more than doubled , whereas these other masked states are all on a downward trajectory. Let's see what happens by next week.

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
There were 163 new cases in WV just today. Our state had 21, Phinn's state had 6, and NH had 33. As of July 1 there has been a steep spike of active cases in WV and in the last week COVID hospitalizations have more than doubled , whereas these other masked states are all on a downward trajectory. Let's see what happens by next week.
As of this morning here are our totals from day 1. We were the LAST State to get a positive case - AND they lived spitting distance from DC (and worked there). That post I got my numbers from says it was 191 cases since the last report. The County with the most cases is at most 50 miles from DC (here that is spitting distance) and second is the County with WVU students returning/coming in from all over. They NEVER say how many recovered. Different regions have different scenarios - what happens in New York, Boston, and high density places should not be used to dictate to North Dakota,South Dakota, Wyoming, & West Virginia - those rural States that no one counts as being anything because there are not a lot of people there - we like our open spaces. 'Nuff said. Roger and out.
@WV_DHHR
reports as of 10:00 a.m., on July 12, 2020, there have been 206,920 total confirmatory laboratory results received for #COVID19, with 4,207 total cases and 96 deaths

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
As of this morning here are our totals from day 1. We were the LAST State to get a positive case - AND they lived spitting distance from DC (and worked there). That post I got my numbers from says it was 191 cases since the last report. The County with the most cases is at most 50 miles from DC (here that is spitting distance) and second is the County with WVU students returning/coming in from all over. They NEVER say how many recovered. Different regions have different scenarios - what happens in New York, Boston, and high density places should not be used to dictate to North Dakota,South Dakota, Wyoming, & West Virginia - those rural States that no one counts as being anything because there are not a lot of people there - we like our open spaces. 'Nuff said. Roger and out.
@WV_DHHR
reports as of 10:00 a.m., on July 12, 2020, there have been 206,920 total confirmatory laboratory results received for #COVID19, with 4,207 total cases and 96 deaths
Apparently, your Governor has imposed an indoor- mask requirement, beginning on July 7 whenever there is not at least 6 ft. of distance between you and your guests. https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx
Why do you think that is? Please be on the side of caution and wear a mask whenever you are inside in the presence of guests. We too are in a rural area, albeit popular at this time of year with tourists. But the fact that we are a B+B that welcomes others means that THEY come from other places where the virus may be present. So please err on the side of caution and wear a face covering when you are with your guests or near others.

Northern Dreamer said:
Northern Dreamer said:
@WV_DHHR
gillumhouse said:
They NEVER say how many recovered.
2798 have recovered in WV. It does not matter one bit when you got your first case. The ONLY thing that matters is your current trend. Active cases are based upon how many have recovered. FACT: On June 30, WV had only 540 Active Cases; As of today there are 1313 Active Cases. That's 2.4X more cases, which is also reflected in the fact that WV hospitalizations have doubled in the past week.

Back