Not cleaning rooms on a stayover

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I know some do not fluff rooms or offer the option of having the room fluffed. If I want to do this for ONE day only, how should I phrase that to avoid bad reviews of 'Too busy with her own life to even clean my room!'

I ask if they need maid service. I tell them I consider the room their home while they are here and I would not enter their home without permission. The usual answer is: We are fine, thank you.

I ask if they need maid service. I tell them I consider the room their home while they are here and I would not enter their home without permission. The usual answer is: We are fine, thank you..
why, bree?
unless there is a major mess in the room, fluffs don't take too long. i don't do much. make the bed (often the guest has made it and i just tidy it or leave it alone), remove trash, give new towels as needed, freshen the bathroom. i tend to worry about wet towels strewn where they don't belong. i don't understand why people do this.

I think we've covered this before. To have your guest accommodation freshened is expected by the majority of guests. If you're going to be away from the inn, I would find a stand-in to do it for you or explain why you can't provide this service on this one day to your guests. Guests can understand if there is a pressing reason why you can't do it as opposed to just being disappointed to find that the trash wasn't emptied, etc.

I ask if they need maid service. I tell them I consider the room their home while they are here and I would not enter their home without permission. The usual answer is: We are fine, thank you..
why, bree?
unless there is a major mess in the room, fluffs don't take too long. i don't do much. make the bed (often the guest has made it and i just tidy it or leave it alone), remove trash, give new towels as needed, freshen the bathroom. i tend to worry about wet towels strewn where they don't belong. i don't understand why people do this.
seashanty said:
why, bree?
I am trying to go out of town for an event. Hubs can't do all the rooms, cook and serve breakfast and prep for the next day by himself. He stresses. So far I have been unable to scare up anyone for 4 hours of work on Saturday morning. Plus, I am concerned about bringing in an unknown for fluffs with all the guests' belongings in the room. This is someone I won't see again more than likely.
I thought that saying we were shorthanded would get a worse response than just asking if they wanted us to freshen the room.

I think we've covered this before. To have your guest accommodation freshened is expected by the majority of guests. If you're going to be away from the inn, I would find a stand-in to do it for you or explain why you can't provide this service on this one day to your guests. Guests can understand if there is a pressing reason why you can't do it as opposed to just being disappointed to find that the trash wasn't emptied, etc..
Samster said:
I think we've covered this before. To have your guest accommodation freshened is expected by the majority of guests. If you're going to be away from the inn, I would find a stand-in to do it for you or explain why you can't provide this service on this one day to your guests. Guests can understand if there is a pressing reason why you can't do it as opposed to just being disappointed to find that the trash wasn't emptied, etc.
I don't think my reason is pressing to a guest. It's not a funeral or anything like that. It's only important to me. Which is why I made the comment that 'her life is more important...'

why, bree?
seashanty said:
why, bree?
I am trying to go out of town for an event. Hubs can't do all the rooms, cook and serve breakfast and prep for the next day by himself. He stresses. So far I have been unable to scare up anyone for 4 hours of work on Saturday morning. Plus, I am concerned about bringing in an unknown for fluffs with all the guests' belongings in the room. This is someone I won't see again more than likely.
I thought that saying we were shorthanded would get a worse response than just asking if they wanted us to freshen the room.
are you fully booked?
first i would under book - i'm going away to a wedding weekend and have blocked off some of the rooms while the inn-sitter is here.
second, i would say '' 'the man of the house' is flying solo this weekend. if you need new towels or the room needs freshening, please let him know.'' and hand write it on a card and put it on the bed. i have found guests to be very receptive when they are 'in on' what is happening.
guests don't have to know why you will be away!

why, bree?
seashanty said:
why, bree?
are you fully booked?
first i would under book - i'm going away to a wedding weekend and have blocked off some of the rooms while the inn-sitter is here.
second, i would say '' 'the man of the house' is flying solo this weekend. if you need new towels or the room needs freshening, please let him know.'' and hand write it on a card and put it on the bed. i have found guests to be very receptive when they are 'in on' what is happening.
That is perfect because her guests luv her hubs and people never expect the sevice from a husband that they do of the Lady of the House. They will probably bend over backwards to "help" him!

Oh just tell them to clean their own Da*n room!
devil_smile.gif

why, bree?
seashanty said:
why, bree?
are you fully booked?
seashanty said:
are you fully booked?
Thank you. That says it very well. We do not have a full house yet but I am not blocking rooms off so I can go away. We HAVE done it that way before, but this is peak season and I can't have this costing me more money than it already will in gas and fees.

Bree, just tell them that you have an appointment and if they don't mind you will not go in and tidy their rooms. Ask if they need their garbage emptied and that's all. Don't even get your husband's schedule involved in it.
I'm fully booked for months and sometimes things come up. I do this from time to time and people understand. Don't feel bad about it.

whatever works!
i don't think my innsitter can handle a full house. neither does she. so ... we're not going to have one.

Bree, just tell them that you have an appointment and if they don't mind you will not go in and tidy their rooms. Ask if they need their garbage emptied and that's all. Don't even get your husband's schedule involved in it.
I'm fully booked for months and sometimes things come up. I do this from time to time and people understand. Don't feel bad about it..
I'll see if hubs is comfortable with that. I won't even be here on Saturday. I'll leave Fri right after I clean rooms and come home Saturday afternoon. He'll have to do the check-ins on Friday, which is ok. It's the prepping for Saturday with no one running interefernce that's the tough one. For Saturday it's a matter of stripping one room for a check-in, which he can definitely handle. It's the rest of the rooms, which are stayovers that's the issue.

This week: Had two week long stays with fluffs on request, no tip. Had another weeklong stay no fluffs as per guests' request, $30 tip, go figure.

I'm fully booked for months and sometimes things come up. I do this from time to time and people understand. Don't feel bad about it..
I'll see if hubs is comfortable with that. I won't even be here on Saturday. I'll leave Fri right after I clean rooms and come home Saturday afternoon. He'll have to do the check-ins on Friday, which is ok. It's the prepping for Saturday with no one running interefernce that's the tough one. For Saturday it's a matter of stripping one room for a check-in, which he can definitely handle. It's the rest of the rooms, which are stayovers that's the issue.
Guests don't have to know that the reason for your absence isn't "pressing". I agree that the best approach is that your dh is on his own & let the guests know it. Most B&B frequenters know that the owners for a lot of properties do all the work. I've I knew ahead of time, that would definitely be better than just coming back and the trash isn't emptied, etc.

Oh, right and I forgot, a B&B open house on Friday afternoon. THAT might be the straw right there.

Oh, right and I forgot, a B&B open house on Friday afternoon. THAT might be the straw right there..
My dh couldn't handle half of that. I'd have to block off rooms!
Samster said:
My dh couldn't handle half of that. I'd have to block off rooms!
Yeah, but mine has a lot more practice and he's the cook, so that makes it easier right there. He already has THAT down.

I am the DH and I can handle most things with supervision.
wink_smile.gif

Seriously, I don't know how some of you handle WITHOUT your husband's help. It just works so much better with us a dividing the tasks equally. Of course it helps that we're both retired.

Or you can go away for the day and leave it all to him and come back and pay for it big time when he is totally aggro. (Yes that was me last night). Punishment for having a special event to go to and leaving him to do it.
But then I get man, dang it, can I never leave this place on a saturday? The answer is....NO! YOU CANNOT!
No matter how appreciate you are and tell him how wonderful he is...

Back