Not our week

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Dh was in the ER yesterday. He was suffering from massive dehydration brought about from some sort of bug. Since last week he has lost 15 lbs. (He hasn't eaten anything but chicken soup and gatorade since last Thursday.) They didn't let him out until last night. Of course, he was on his own as someone had to stay here. The housekeeper is down with an asthma attack.
It's 90 degrees and we still don't have A/C in our space. Tonight, now that a gorgeous breeze is blowing, I am going to move furniture around so we can run A/C in our space. (We need to be able to get at the window which is blocked by our bed.)
We had a guest who did nothing but pooh-pooh everything we said. We got another one who came in from 90 degrees to 76 degrees and wanted us to turn the A/C on. Honey, it IS on. We don't have central air. One little A/C unit + 3 fans are trying to cool 1000 sq ft. (All common space, the guest rooms are just fine.)
Tomorrow we may all be feeling better!

For DH, mix the following: 440 ml of water, 560 ml of orange juice and ¼ teaspoon of salt, add lemon juice to taste. This is better than plain water and better than sports drinks to rehydrate someone (sports drinks have too much sugar).

Hang in there! Dave had walking pneumonia a couple of weeks ago, from working 20 hour days with a bad cold, the same week our swamp cooler connector busted, water pouring out of the downstairs ceiling, guests checking in, cars breaking down, plus all the regular chaos. I feel your pain!
cry_smile.gif

Hugs to both of you. Tough to be sick any time but particularly in season.

For DH, mix the following: 440 ml of water, 560 ml of orange juice and ¼ teaspoon of salt, add lemon juice to taste. This is better than plain water and better than sports drinks to rehydrate someone (sports drinks have too much sugar)..
Thanks. I actually think it was an allergic reaction to sucralose that did it. But we'll probably never know.

Just installed a brand new A/C unit in a guest room. MASSIVE (3" tall) name of cheap store we bought it at painted on the cover. So, that's all I can see now walking up to the house. I'm going to get some paint and cover it. That was SO unnecessary.

I hope your DH gets over it soon! It's not easy to keep the place going all by yourself and I'm sure he feels horrible that he's not there for you too!
We've got folks here complaining because they're cold. I should tell them all to go to the NE!

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear! I know it would drive me mad not to be with my hubby if he was in the ER. Here's hoping that the rest of the week looks better.

Wow, that's a lot to handle alone. I hope all of you are doing better. Hopefully the heat wave will break soon.

Hang in there! Dave had walking pneumonia a couple of weeks ago, from working 20 hour days with a bad cold, the same week our swamp cooler connector busted, water pouring out of the downstairs ceiling, guests checking in, cars breaking down, plus all the regular chaos. I feel your pain!
cry_smile.gif
and it never happens when you are empty or its easy to cope with!

Yikes! I'm a bit late reading this...but hope things will be better for you and your DH today. Hang on, this heat and humidity will be gone soon and we will be back to our normal NE summer.

i am so sorry! that is a lot of weight to lose so quickly! sorry i did not know. i am heading out to the island now but if you are short handed in august, shoot me an email and i'll come up and help you! (hugs)

i am so sorry! that is a lot of weight to lose so quickly! sorry i did not know. i am heading out to the island now but if you are short handed in august, shoot me an email and i'll come up and help you! (hugs).
You are a sweetheart, thank you for the offer.
DH is feeling a lot better but not 100%. If he's not over this by Thursday he's going back to the dr. Altho, the dr was pretty laid back, essentially telling him 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.' Gotta love the VA hospital.

So sorry to hear dh has not been well, hope he's better soon (hopefully he is by now).
Sometimes it feels like the gods are against you. Towards the end of June we had guests in for 3 nights who woke us every morning between 5.30 and 6am, cos they were up and about (which makes us tired and irritable, which just exaggerates other problems) , I had the overbook problem with b . c mentioned in another thread and in the space of 10 days a washing machine broke, then the tumble dryer and then the dishwasher, was dishwasherless for 10 days.
Makes you want to scream but you have to keep plodding on.

So sorry to hear dh has not been well, hope he's better soon (hopefully he is by now).
Sometimes it feels like the gods are against you. Towards the end of June we had guests in for 3 nights who woke us every morning between 5.30 and 6am, cos they were up and about (which makes us tired and irritable, which just exaggerates other problems) , I had the overbook problem with b . c mentioned in another thread and in the space of 10 days a washing machine broke, then the tumble dryer and then the dishwasher, was dishwasherless for 10 days.
Makes you want to scream but you have to keep plodding on..
What was a quiet night last night turned into a full house in the space of an hour. The fridge is on the fritz so we have to unload the freezer, thaw it out, clean it out and then repack it with all the food.
DH is better but he had a tooth fall out 2 weeks ago and he has to get it fixed now that he's healthy again. (Long story that starts many years ago with a drunken subordinate and ends with that subordinate's court martial and DH minus a few teeth.)

What was a quiet night last night turned into a full house in the space of an hour. The fridge is on the fritz so we have to unload the freezer, thaw it out, clean it out and then repack it with all the food.
DH is better but he had a tooth fall out 2 weeks ago and he has to get it fixed now that he's healthy again. (Long story that starts many years ago with a drunken subordinate and ends with that subordinate's court martial and DH minus a few teeth.)
Dang! Just now reading this... You've really been through it!!
I hope things settle down to normal Summer cRaZy soon...

This week everyone is healthy but we are on our own, no housekeeper. 2 groups. One with language barriers. One a wedding. Both with boundary issues. But, we have only one more group to go this summer and then we're clear.

This week everyone is healthy but we are on our own, no housekeeper. 2 groups. One with language barriers. One a wedding. Both with boundary issues. But, we have only one more group to go this summer and then we're clear.
that's harsh just keep counting down to when they leave! repeat the mantra "they stay they pay they go away!"

Back