Not sure if it's real or a scam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Received email asking for openings for 2 nights. Responded back about the one room that is open and said the guest could book online or email us (European address). Book online didn't work for him. Maybe because he tried to book 3 nights and only 2 are open.
Anyhoo, he emailed back with his cc info and said he wanted that room. And, if I could give him any room on the next day that was fine. OR, and this is where it gets odd, could I book him a room elsewhere?
Just as a note, I get a LOT of emails asking about availability. I respond to them all unless they want rooms for 7 honeymooning Buddhist monks or whatever. Emails about avail are not the issue. The issue is how odd the emails sounded, especially the part about making a rez for them elsewhere.

Does his credit card check out? Did you verify it? If his money is good, go for it.
Unless your last name is Expedia or you are doubling as a booking agent for your competitors (whose rates, I might add may or may not match yours) I'd tell the guy you can book him for the nights you have available and perhaps suggest another place to stay for the third night and let him do the work. Otherwise he's SOL.

Does his credit card check out? Did you verify it? If his money is good, go for it.
Unless your last name is Expedia or you are doubling as a booking agent for your competitors (whose rates, I might add may or may not match yours) I'd tell the guy you can book him for the nights you have available and perhaps suggest another place to stay for the third night and let him do the work. Otherwise he's SOL..
I don't check cc info in advance, that's been an issue we've discussed here all summer and we still don't have a plan. I did check his address and it's a real place and he really lives at that address (if it's really him). His name doesn't come up anywhere for scams.
I guess I need a system for checking the oddball requests.
I did give him a link to a local online directory to check out some other places.

I won't beat a dead horse. But, if you ever do start credit card verification, you will love love love it. Saves a lot of hassle.

It seems to me like this should be an exception to your credit card rule. If they are from Europe, I would charge their card. Every time I've made reservations at a European B&B or pension, we have had to pay up front. They should be used to this.
You need to protect yourself in certain situations. Also, like PT suggested, you might suggest another place, but let him do it himself.

It seems to me like this should be an exception to your credit card rule. If they are from Europe, I would charge their card. Every time I've made reservations at a European B&B or pension, we have had to pay up front. They should be used to this.
You need to protect yourself in certain situations. Also, like PT suggested, you might suggest another place, but let him do it himself..
I'm going to call the cc processor tomorrow and ask how I can verify the card is valid.

Oh, and later on I got another email with photos attached. Which I did not open. Oy.

Hmmmmmm..........why would he be sending photos ?.
One Day said:
Hmmmmmm..........why would he be sending photos ?
Who the heck knows! He did mention the photos in his request to book the room. So the next email wasn't a total surprise, even tho it really WAS a surprise.

When we had the our Inn in WV there where many Europeans coming to one very popular music festival, most would e-mail for availability and sometimes call from overseeas..that was the hardest because if we where not available we would have to call the-and that gets expensive.
Good luck, the pictures? that I have no clue. But most of them have a good credit card number- but then you never know do ya?

I have had this before for some reason they think you are part of a chain or something so can sort them out plus are too lazy to do it themselves. I would go as far as giving him some close by places phone numbers/email but I would get him to pay for the 2 nights at yours in full so he doesn't skiddle off for the three nights at a cheaper place. (or only give him numbers for places more expensive than yours so he thinks yours is a bargan LOL)

Hmmmmmm..........why would he be sending photos ?.
One Day said:
Hmmmmmm..........why would he be sending photos ?
Who the heck knows! He did mention the photos in his request to book the room. So the next email wasn't a total surprise, even tho it really WAS a surprise.
Now, THAT is odd....really odd. Red flag alert!!!

I have had this before for some reason they think you are part of a chain or something so can sort them out plus are too lazy to do it themselves. I would go as far as giving him some close by places phone numbers/email but I would get him to pay for the 2 nights at yours in full so he doesn't skiddle off for the three nights at a cheaper place. (or only give him numbers for places more expensive than yours so he thinks yours is a bargan LOL).
I have had this before for some reason they think you are part of a chain or something so can sort them out plus are too lazy to do it themselves. I would go as far as giving him some close by places phone numbers/email but I would get him to pay for the 2 nights at yours in full so he doesn't skiddle off for the three nights at a cheaper place. (or only give him numbers for places more expensive than yours so he thinks yours is a bargan LOL)
Yeah....but don't laugh........that is exactly what you should be doing.......showing other higher priced locations..........I do all the time.......When one scoffs at my estimate. I tell them get an estimate from such and such ( I know they're higher priced, yet not worth anything less than me )

Update...due to arrive tomorrow (from Europe) and I get an email tonight that he has a 'cold' and wants to change the dates. I can't accommodate the date change he wants and told him so. Said he needs to let us know if he is arriving tomorrow or not.

Update...due to arrive tomorrow (from Europe) and I get an email tonight that he has a 'cold' and wants to change the dates. I can't accommodate the date change he wants and told him so. Said he needs to let us know if he is arriving tomorrow or not..
Not arriving and another B&B is involved as well. Not sure how they are handling it. He wants to resched. Says the airlines let him, why can't I? Well, because I'm not sure this is real and you BOUGHT your plane ticket, you haven't paid me anything!

Update...due to arrive tomorrow (from Europe) and I get an email tonight that he has a 'cold' and wants to change the dates. I can't accommodate the date change he wants and told him so. Said he needs to let us know if he is arriving tomorrow or not..
Not arriving and another B&B is involved as well. Not sure how they are handling it. He wants to resched. Says the airlines let him, why can't I? Well, because I'm not sure this is real and you BOUGHT your plane ticket, you haven't paid me anything!
You have got to start charging those credit cards with a deposit! I am not sure I would believe anything from this guy. Sure the airlines let him reschedule...at a PRICE!

Back