Not the job for me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so i answered an ad for an innkeeper ... and then went to scope out the place ahead of time ... sadly, it's a hotel. not quite a no tell motel, but borderline if they're not careful. the place has potential and could really go either way .... i have gone by there during the day ... looks fine ... then at nite ... not so fine. they had old reviews that are bad and newer reviews that are good and show that those staying were surprised.
i'm not as young, thin or energetic as i used to be, although i've lost 20 pounds since march (same 20 i lose and gain) and i can't see myself chasing out the rowdies with a 2x4 while i wait for the cops to arrive.
RATS!!
confused_smile.gif

just posting this because i've had a couple emails asking where i am and what i'm doing. still looking.

So, you don't own a b&b, just work at them? Sounds great! Do you do it for extended periods or just 'babyset' while owners are away?

Hey the fellow here in VA is moving right along on his B & B renovation project. Are you interested in VA in the future? Just in case he asks me.

So, you don't own a b&b, just work at them? Sounds great! Do you do it for extended periods or just 'babyset' while owners are away?.
four at four forty four said:
So, you don't own a b&b, just work at them? Sounds great! Do you do it for extended periods or just 'babyset' while owners are away?
i started up a b&b in 2005 -- in an old wreck of a building. i did it all - except the renovations that required professionals. website, marketing, furnishing, the whole shebang. had 8 guest rooms. i was supposed to be a partner, had put a little of my own money into it. but had been recently widowed and i guess i was in a fog or something, i didn't have a legal agreement which i should have. but i was so lost. anyway, the owner put it on the market without telling me first. so i finished out running it last fall. moved out. it didn't sell, so the realtor runs it with a staff. dismantled my website but use the pictures and a little of the text. if it sells, i am supposed to get a small percentage of the sale. heart breaking really. but my own fault.
anyway, i've been at loose ends since then. my dad passed away and i took over distributing all the belongings and all that kind of thing. then helped with someone else's house organization and cleanout. i help out at a b&b near where i'm staying, and i do freelance bookkeeping. have looked into the interim innkeeper thing. not sure what's next for me.

Hey the fellow here in VA is moving right along on his B & B renovation project. Are you interested in VA in the future? Just in case he asks me..
i've never been to virginia. but ... yes, i am interested. i am not sure of the project you mean?

Hey the fellow here in VA is moving right along on his B & B renovation project. Are you interested in VA in the future? Just in case he asks me..
i've never been to virginia. but ... yes, i am interested. i am not sure of the project you mean?
He plans to open a 4 or 5 room B & B in a place he is renovating. He has landscaping done and the big barn is almost completed. THis may be wedding space in the future...he is not sure yet. He has a small house next to the hopeful B & B which he is going to renovate into the innkeeper's house. THe house sits right up from the river which he has put all the land into conservation easement and is restoring back to native plants and game preserve for natural habitat. So it should be an interesting place once completed. Don't know his timeline but things appear to be moving along.

He plans to open a 4 or 5 room B & B in a place he is renovating. He has landscaping done and the big barn is almost completed. THis may be wedding space in the future...he is not sure yet. He has a small house next to the hopeful B & B which he is going to renovate into the innkeeper's house. THe house sits right up from the river which he has put all the land into conservation easement and is restoring back to native plants and game preserve for natural habitat. So it should be an interesting place once completed. Don't know his timeline but things appear to be moving along.
sounds lovely.

So, you don't own a b&b, just work at them? Sounds great! Do you do it for extended periods or just 'babyset' while owners are away?.
four at four forty four said:
i started up a b&b in 2005 -- in an old wreck of a building. i did it all - except the renovations that required professionals. website, marketing, furnishing, the whole shebang. had 8 guest rooms. i was supposed to be a partner, had put a little of my own money into it. but had been recently widowed and i guess i was in a fog or something, i didn't have a legal agreement which i should have. but i was so lost. anyway, the owner put it on the market without telling me first. so i finished out running it last fall. moved out. it didn't sell, so the realtor runs it with a staff. dismantled my website but use the pictures and a little of the text. if it sells, i am supposed to get a small percentage of the sale. heart breaking really. but my own fault.
anyway, i've been at loose ends since then. my dad passed away and i took over distributing all the belongings and all that kind of thing. then helped with someone else's house organization and cleanout. i help out at a b&b near where i'm staying, and i do freelance bookkeeping. have looked into the interim innkeeper thing. not sure what's next for me.
Wow. Sounds like it's been quite a year. So sorry for all your loses. You must be a pretty strong person, congrats on 'standing back up.' As they say, when one (or in your case several) door(s) close, another will open.

Back