Note to self:

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cat_lady

Reaction score
Okay, for my list next year:
A second dryer
Part time help
Clone myself
(rough week)

Innkeeper keep a busy day.
At the end of a busy Sunday, I ask my husband, "How do you manage when I'm not here?"
I work outside the house 5 days a week and I'm very busy with innkeeping duties when I'm there. I can't imagine how he gets it all done when I'm not there!

At the end of a busy Sunday, I ask my husband, "How do you manage when I'm not here?"
I work outside the house 5 days a week and I'm very busy with innkeeping duties when I'm there. I can't imagine how he gets it all done when I'm not there!.
TheBeachHouse said:
I work outside the house 5 days a week and I'm very busy with innkeeping duties when I'm there. I can't imagine how he gets it all done when I'm not there!
You do what you have to do. One month after reopening the inn after my aunt took over, she ended up in the hospital for three weeks. I keep everything going…… Now I can't believe I did it all with no experience. You do what needs to be done.

If you find a way to do the 3rd on your list, please let us know how you did it!

We have two washers and three dryers and I still can't keep up. I was going to get a laundry service this year (again) but our housekeeper is so good I didn't.
And definitely get help!

I'm right there with ya! I wanted to throw in the towel this morning - 9 for breakfast; 4 check-outs and 4 check ins means 4 rooms to turn with no help. And then guest tells me that her 12 y/o wet the bed! "oh, he hasn't done this in a week". WTH!!! And when your kid wets the bed down to the mattress, you leave a tip for housekeeping!
Fortunately, the mattress encasement protected the mattress. And an innkeeper friend came over to help me put a new encasement on the mattress. THAT takes two people!

I'm right there with ya! I wanted to throw in the towel this morning - 9 for breakfast; 4 check-outs and 4 check ins means 4 rooms to turn with no help. And then guest tells me that her 12 y/o wet the bed! "oh, he hasn't done this in a week". WTH!!! And when your kid wets the bed down to the mattress, you leave a tip for housekeeping!
Fortunately, the mattress encasement protected the mattress. And an innkeeper friend came over to help me put a new encasement on the mattress. THAT takes two people!.
Busy day mate!

Thank goodness I got a couple days off last weekend, because I sure needed it this week. Arrived home Monday morning to an 82 degree house, substitute innkeeper getting breakfast ready for a full house. I said "Isn't it a little warm in here?" She said "Yes, I noticed it was getting warm." No idea why she didn't call me, but when your 130 year old house on the gulf coast gets to 82 degrees...it ain't getting to 75 for at least another day!

Got the A/C fixed, only to lose hot water two days later. Couldn't get a plumber to even call me back, let alone come out to look. Finally got someone out on Thursday. Part that needs to be replaced is in CA and can be over-nighted, but won't get here until noon. So two mornings for guests without hot water. Thankfully, the water lines run under the house, which is up on pier and beam, and exposed to the elements, so even cold water is not cold here. Showers are not that unbearable. All guests were understanding with bottles of wine and discounts :)

Now the front door (four feet wide and probably weights 100 pounds) is sagging from the middle hinge and will barely open because the screws aren't holding it tight against the frame. Since taking the door off right now is not an option, and longer screws have not helped, I get to drill new holes in the hinge and hope to hit some good wood.

Oh, and my cleaning help that I've had for over two years is having some type of breakdown and is not available. I LOVED HER!! I am so lost. And I am so ready for another day off. Or two. Or 3,799.

Fortunately, the mattress encasement protected the mattress. And an innkeeper friend came over to help me put a new encasement on the mattress. THAT takes two people!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Fortunately, the mattress encasement protected the mattress. And an innkeeper friend came over to help me put a new encasement on the mattress. THAT takes two people!
Yes it takes 2! Had that issue last weekend when someone spilled a bottle of red Gatorade on the bed. Thanks to DD for the help. It is exhausting even with 2.

Housekeeper didn't show up today (second day in a row) and my legs and back are really hurting. So, I took a pain pill, didn't think it worked, so I took a second... and that left me loopy.... but I managed to get everything done, put up a sign for the guest to check themselves in, call MoH to tell him what I did, didn't do, what was left, went for a nap. Got up. Going back for another nap in a minute because loopiness is still there. He's back and getting the laundry finished. The agency called and is sending me someone else to try tomorrow. Talked to her while loopy.
PS: Called friend... was supposed to take 1/2 a pill... not 2... oops.

Housekeeper didn't show up today (second day in a row) and my legs and back are really hurting. So, I took a pain pill, didn't think it worked, so I took a second... and that left me loopy.... but I managed to get everything done, put up a sign for the guest to check themselves in, call MoH to tell him what I did, didn't do, what was left, went for a nap. Got up. Going back for another nap in a minute because loopiness is still there. He's back and getting the laundry finished. The agency called and is sending me someone else to try tomorrow. Talked to her while loopy.
PS: Called friend... was supposed to take 1/2 a pill... not 2... oops..
Generic said:
Geez Louise, be careful!

PS: Called friend... was supposed to take 1/2 a pill... not 2... oops..
Generic said:
Geez Louise, be careful!
[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56-pciUnLw]

Aussie Innkeeper said:
I did two by myself - one king and one queen. The other two have yet to be ordered because I don't want to do it again!

Aussie Innkeeper said:
I did two by myself - one king and one queen. The other two have yet to be ordered because I don't want to do it again!
BananaE29 said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I salute you doing the king by yourself! I can't even wrestle that mattress off the bed!

Aussie Innkeeper said:
BananaE29 said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I salute you doing the king by yourself! I can't even wrestle that mattress off the bed!
I flipped the king by myself when the guys who delivered it (it was a gift) put it on wrong side up. That taught me to wait until I have visiting kids or grandkids.
(Next week, #1 grandson is stopping in for 1 night on his way back to Chicago. We have a full-house. He was told I will clear off his Grandpa's "toy box" and he can sleep in the studio. He will be his brother's best man the following week when I do the airports as sleepers.)

2cat_lady said:
A second dryer
Part time help
Clone myself
(rough week)
Sorry, and since i am in late on this, has your new week been an improvement? I hope so.

2cat_lady said:
A second dryer
Part time help
Clone myself
(rough week)
Sorry, and since i am in late on this, has your new week been an improvement? I hope so..
Oh yeah. Just rantin'. Did it to myself and bit off more than I could chew. We booked off next weekend ( how about that!) so that will fix me up.
Plus I got a lovely card in the mail from a dear friend that brought a smile to my face. Maybe one day I'll go visit that friend when I've blocked off more time for myself
wink_smile.gif

Back