Nothing could prepare me for this!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Well I am still about to vomit. Yep toss my cookies.
i just encountered possibly the worst smell ever...worse than the vomit in the sink from the 90 year old man from the bronx
worse than the earthy couple in between bathing
worse
much much worse...
I went up to freshen and mind you it was like 25 minutes ago and I am still in shock
I went into the first guest room
I saw the luggage rack in the room with nothing on it
i thought, they must have all their stuff in the closet, this thing folds up so I will place it in there at the side
i open the closet...
what hit me was beyond sick, i gasped for air
i quickly closed the closet
what was that? i am close to retching (i am not exaggerating)
all their stuff was in there, I spied briefly a plastic bag on the floor
my goodness, what was it?
what on earth could that be?
I felt like chucking up...
I have to put this luggage rack in there and I HAVE to know what it is...
I open it and hold my breath, my eyes are watering
and...I look through the haze
a pair of mens sock are lying on top of the plastic trash bag
socks
his socks
never before in my life have I smelled something this bad, like the smell of a dead cow rotting away in the hot sun
like THAT!
maybe he has gangrene?
(PS If this ain't a good reason to go inn-cognito I don't know what is. Come on lunch - stay down, it is in my throat, I can't get the smell out of my head)

I don't know what to say other than you have my sympathy.
I know what a dead cow in the sun smells like....
(I lost money on the old girl too - adds insult to the olfactory injury)

Ok, from that description, I could smell it half a country away and now i want to puke!
barf.gif

Yeah, it could be some kind of infection, super strain of athletes foot, abcess? I would super disinfect later!

There is lysol in the room near the toilet. I just stepped outside to get some air and thankfully there is a wind blowing out there. I think I have held my breath for 30 minutes solid. I am not going back in there to lysol, it is there. What about the linens? I have a really nice set for that bed!!! The smell will permeate everything...I am going to puke. bye

Can you plug your nose, go in there and with tongs, place the wretched socks in a ziploc?

Wow, watch this... Man's feet smell like death!.
Willowpondgj said:
Wow, watch this... Man's feet smell like death!
Don't think I could handle it, I might later on. Death sounds about right, worse than the dead animal smell that wafts past, much worse, of course it was incubating in the closet. I guess he didn't have time to put the socks IN the bag his wife brought.

Can you plug your nose, go in there and with tongs, place the wretched socks in a ziploc?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Can you plug your nose, go in there and with tongs, place the wretched socks in a ziploc?
If I go back in they will go in the garbage bag and go out to the garbage. He must have gangrene, that is all I can think of. Okay, can't think of it any more.

You might have to speak to him about it because it's going to take more than airing out to get the room ready for the next guest.
Maybe you should call in one of those cleanup teams that clean up murder scenes when the cops are done.
barf.gif

i am sorry, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes too...from laughing.....
Hope this never happens to anyone else here....
You do have a great way with words :)

You do have a great way with words :).
Mooseberry Inn said:
I actually cut n pasted that from my instant messager I sent to someone as I was here at this pc nauseated. Then I went out side for some air! If you read the other end of the I.M. you would have really laughed "and it was..." I wrote, he wrote "A dead animal?" "Their pet who died?"
They are here two nights, check out tomorrow.
Like you said on another thread - just when you think you have seen it all...another surprise.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I think I will aptly name him for future ref "Toe Jam Man" if you say it three times it has a certain ring to it.

Oh Dear ..... now is the time I want to go from incognito to "hope to god no one recognizes me" .... I had a truly disgusting, unforgettably BAD sock experience once ... but it was ME.
Wore socks in kitchen of new lodge, a kitchen that we spent literally WEEKS cleaning before we could use it properly. At this point, the floor still needed work ..... my socks were simply horrifying. They "infected" every pair of shoes I put on (I only had a limited amount of stuff I'd brought with me in a suitcase). I ended up throwing out not just the socks, but a number of the pairs of shoes I'd worn too.

My daughter the cop says the first thing they do is brew a pot of coffee and light cigars when they have to remove someone "who was not found for a while" shall we say for current delicate stomachs. The combo covers the aroma wafting in the apartment enough to make it possible for them to do what is necessary.

My daughter the cop says the first thing they do is brew a pot of coffee and light cigars when they have to remove someone "who was not found for a while" shall we say for current delicate stomachs. The combo covers the aroma wafting in the apartment enough to make it possible for them to do what is necessary..
Vicks Vapo Rub or some other menthol under the nose helps a lot.

You do have a great way with words :).
Mooseberry Inn said:
I actually cut n pasted that from my instant messager I sent to someone as I was here at this pc nauseated. Then I went out side for some air! If you read the other end of the I.M. you would have really laughed "and it was..." I wrote, he wrote "A dead animal?" "Their pet who died?"
Like you said on another thread - just when you think you have seen it all...another surprise.
I think I will aptly name him for future ref "Toe Jam Man" if you say it three times it has a certain ring to it.
Joe Bloggs said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
OMG 2 nights....FABREEZE.........lots of it......My son has friends ( teenage boys)...I tell them to go wash their feet if they gonna stay here for a while....too bad you can't do that to guests...

My daughter the cop says the first thing they do is brew a pot of coffee and light cigars when they have to remove someone "who was not found for a while" shall we say for current delicate stomachs. The combo covers the aroma wafting in the apartment enough to make it possible for them to do what is necessary..
how bout a bowl of charcoal or baking soda?

Back