Nothing good comes after Dec 26th

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google the web guy and see if he really does know anything. If he does, take him up on the offer and then tell me!
I hope you're wrong about the timing. We got a 2 nighter early today...
In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing. Which is why I'm usually closed now. But we had one booking (a request from a biz guest) to be open for him and here I am..
Morticia said:
In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing.
Us too. The whole week between Christmas and New Years used to be busy, but for the last four years or so, it has dried to a trickle, but Januarys have become even busier. Probably if I looked at the calendars since then, it would have something to do with where the holidays fall during the week.
That's why I was thinking this would be a better year...Long weekend with many having today off. Maybe next year...or THIS year, I should say!

It was with a bit of dread I accepted the reservation for last night and tonight, but they turned out to be a very nice couple. Teacher and teckie.

After a busy earlier part of the month, I am glad to be closed since Dec 24th. Reopening after Jan 10th. January bookings are very, very slim and one night in there is a comp'd stay for a non-profit I support.
I got 4 calls today from the same person for a room in February....the questions were exhausting. Really looking for an even better deal than a discount I offer. I didn't budge. If they call back, they call back.
That's the bad thing about taking time off....you really don't want to deal with that stuff.

Congrats on the occupancy and welcome. 2 room nights in Dec did NOT cover January and it looks as if January is devoid of business. Sort of biz as usual here.

welcome.gif
the the forum. That is good news! Well, your attraction is that you're on the Mendocino Coast in CA. ;-) That is a beautiful area.

Andiron thanks for sharing and pipe up any time! Thanks for mentioning no discount as well, I think that is important. Mendocino coast vs the big freeze on the east...Nice.
Each year here is different, esp over Thanksgiving...some years we are full up with what you say - couples getting away and other years we have those visiting rel's who can't be caught sleeping under the same roof - thus the added tension.
I did not promote any event or big ol' time here over NY's - so those looking for it came to the wrong place. The one couple who did seek that thoroughly enjoyed themselves and in fact I still have the stargazer lillies arrangement on the dining table from their room.
I got a fortune cookie today that said something to the effect of "enjoying the angels in your midst" I think the first of the year guests were angels! I am thankful for them and want more.
(PS I am making chowduh from PISMO clams as I type this! Truly!)

PS Andiron before you consider me a nutjob - I mentioned Pismo as they are the same COAST as you - not close to you, I understand, but closer than to me, I am 2500-3000 miles away.
chef.gif
I have an uncle prof at Berk and all my Dad's family are from the Bay area and Valley there. >>back to my clams

Hi Andiron! So glad to hear of your good experience. But seeing what you've already done with that property, it comes as no surprise to me. You've got a lovely place there. So very happy to see it returning to its full potential.
Getting through the first slow season is something of a milestone for most new innkeepers. Already well on your way, it must really seem like a time to celebrate and take a deep breath of relief.
You made a wise choice among all the many properties that have been for sale in that area. Kudos to you!
And welcome to the forum.

How's the weather there this week? Sounds like a good bit of rain heading your way. That will keep the San Fran crowd away as much as anything else...

Back