Nothing good comes after Dec 26th

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
To quote another innmate on "Nothing good comes from answering the phone after 9pm" I will add my "Nothing good comes from a booking after Dec 16th.
I have not been open before I always listened to the advice of the "wise ones" on the forum. I closed before Christmas through New Year.
I already had guests who arrived at 1230 after midnight who would not leave til 130pm and then I found destroyed sheets.
The dude who wanted to cancel his 2 night booking with package, who is here now with his black mercedes parked out back with no package and gee wants to know what there is to around here (ahem, I advertised a romantic quiet getaway for a reason!)...
the other room not here yet just called to ask if they could leave their dog in their truck since they could find noone to take care of it (we had two inches of ice last night and will get more tonight!) and now...
DH just got cornered in the foyer by a guest who is telling him he is the expert in internet marketing and wants to have a few words with our webdesigner and us. OH BROTHER! DH told him I (Joey) does the website and the marketing, he told DH that there is alot of business out there for us on the internet, if we marketed online. Really? No kidding.
When does 2010 begin? HELP US ALL!!! OH YEAH BLUE MOON! That's right.

Yuck. It is indeed a very strange time of year. I had to laugh yesterday when I took a Webervations for tonight and under "Reason for stay" the woman put "Get away from kids"!
We have a youngish couple here, no reactions at all during check-in, just standing there looking. The woman came out and asked DH for matches a little while ago. He just gave her a funny look and she said "To light a candle". He said we don't allow candles or any open flame in the guest rooms...she just walked away. If you're going to bring your own candle then just be smart enough to bring your own matches to light it and I'd probably be none the wiser.
I can't believe the package guy is now looking for something to do! Thought they couldn't afford to do anything!!!
What did you tell the dog people, what are they expecting on New Year's Eve at 7 pm????
It IS a full moon, all the crazies are out. Just look at it as getting it all out of your system while it's still 2009!

No bookings. Made DH a pot of veggie soup and his hockey puck biscuits (no fat so they are NOT fluffy!) as he wanted. Daughter texted she misses our New Years Eve parties that we had when they were kids. So I guess they really were worth it when I did them!

Google the web guy and see if he really does know anything. If he does, take him up on the offer and then tell me!
I hope you're wrong about the timing. We got a 2 nighter early today...
In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing. Which is why I'm usually closed now. But we had one booking (a request from a biz guest) to be open for him and here I am.

Google the web guy and see if he really does know anything. If he does, take him up on the offer and then tell me!
In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing. Which is why I'm usually closed now. But we had one booking (a request from a biz guest) to be open for him and here I am..
We've had the wierdest week, including tonight. On Monday, I had no bookings for tonight. This morning I filled the last room. Tried the two-night package; no takers. The last two years we've had groups for New Year's, but not this year.

In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing. Which is why I'm usually closed now. But we had one booking (a request from a biz guest) to be open for him and here I am..
We've had the wierdest week, including tonight. On Monday, I had no bookings for tonight. This morning I filled the last room. Tried the two-night package; no takers. The last two years we've had groups for New Year's, but not this year.
I am envious and happy for you. Nothing like sending the old year off with a bang! We stopped offering pkgs and now just have suggested things to do. But I may go back to the pkgs next year. We're having a 'business meeting' next week or the following to discuss this stuff. (Gomez & me, but we're going 'out' to do this. Hey, to one of those 'third places' where we can sit and discuss and not be jumping up to answer the phone or the door or flip the laundry or whatever.)

I am envious and happy for you. Nothing like sending the old year off with a bang! We stopped offering pkgs and now just have suggested things to do. But I may go back to the pkgs next year. We're having a 'business meeting' next week or the following to discuss this stuff. (Gomez & me, but we're going 'out' to do this. Hey, to one of those 'third places' where we can sit and discuss and not be jumping up to answer the phone or the door or flip the laundry or whatever.)
Great idea! We do all of our best marketing sipping a pint at our local watering hole...gotta love the third space! And make sure you enjoy a $10 or even $12 appetizer while you're there...you deserve it!

That is awesome! We filled in at the last minute as well, I think people were waiting to see what the weather would do.
We did a package our first year here for New Year's Eve and while it was successful in terms of bookings, it was a giant PITA (we did a champagne party with apps/desserts). We ended up getting the neediest group of people, like just waiting to be entertained. Never again.

Great idea! We do all of our best marketing sipping a pint at our local watering hole...gotta love the third space! And make sure you enjoy a $10 or even $12 appetizer while you're there...you deserve it!
Rupert said:
Good one! I was thinking of going for coffee and hot cocoa, but why not make a 'day' of it and head out for lunch! Actually, we LOVE this new pizza place that has $.49 (ha, ha) wings on Sundays. (They used to be $.50. Weird.) But wings are too messy for taking notes.

That is awesome! We filled in at the last minute as well, I think people were waiting to see what the weather would do.
We did a package our first year here for New Year's Eve and while it was successful in terms of bookings, it was a giant PITA (we did a champagne party with apps/desserts). We ended up getting the neediest group of people, like just waiting to be entertained. Never again.
Our groups, although good for the ledgers, are always tough on us - especially at New Year's Eve. Last year's group came down at midnight in their pajamas - some of the gals were pretty dolled up. All of them were at least AARP-eligible if not into Medicare yet. My poor DH got roped into taking a photo of them - he was appalled! (not exactly in a prudish way, but in a 'I can't believe I have to participate in these people making idiots of themselves on camera' way). I had the best laugh when he came back from the living room.
Tonight there is only one group of two rooms together but if we have any troublemakers it will be them. Unfortunately my minor celebrity (NPR bigwig) is in the room right across from them, and away from our bedroom. I will be sleeping uneasily waiting for trouble.

We're having a 'business meeting' next week or the following to discuss this stuff. (Gomez & me, but we're going 'out' to do this. Hey, to one of those 'third places' where we can sit and discuss and not be jumping up to answer the phone or the door or flip the laundry or whatever.)
Funny, but we have always made our big-time decisions while in the vehicle, driving down the highway. Maybe because it is tood dangerous to let go of the wheel and throttle the other one (or to throttle the driver). Plus it was our "cone of silence" - no kids present to hear or interrupt. That practice continues to this day.

Rupert said:
Our weather is still 'doing' which is one reason pkgs are tough here. I can't really do pkgs that require the purchase of 'stuff' because I get stuck with the stuff when it snows/sleets/freezes. Tonight's guests flung a pin at the map to get here. And kept calling for ideas on things to do, places to eat, where to go to 'party.' They are happily, I hope, having dinner and then going to a local concert place for music and dancing.

You sure are getting the crazies aren't you. We are full and have turned away several. BUT the calls and email inquires this week for next month have been strange and ALL wanting a bargain...Sorry.

Our groups, although good for the ledgers, are always tough on us - especially at New Year's Eve. Last year's group came down at midnight in their pajamas - some of the gals were pretty dolled up. All of them were at least AARP-eligible if not into Medicare yet. My poor DH got roped into taking a photo of them - he was appalled! (not exactly in a prudish way, but in a 'I can't believe I have to participate in these people making idiots of themselves on camera' way). I had the best laugh when he came back from the living room.
Tonight there is only one group of two rooms together but if we have any troublemakers it will be them. Unfortunately my minor celebrity (NPR bigwig) is in the room right across from them, and away from our bedroom. I will be sleeping uneasily waiting for trouble.
We once had a 'minor celebrity' from NPR! Really nice couple. Hope all goes well. We, too, have taken some goofy pix of guests but it's their vacation. What I really need is a sign for them to pose under! (Altho, I hate that all of my daughter's wedding shots have 'Sandals Resort' in them. Crop, crop.)

Rupert said:
Good one! I was thinking of going for coffee and hot cocoa, but why not make a 'day' of it and head out for lunch! Actually, we LOVE this new pizza place that has $.49 (ha, ha) wings on Sundays. (They used to be $.50. Weird.) But wings are too messy for taking notes.
Ha! The 9's have it! Just get plenty of napkins, you can still take notes!

Hopefully they will do all of their "merry making" at a restaurant or bar and not make too much noise coming back in. Or maybe the NPR bigwig will be out celebrating as well and they'll all come in making noise together! Don't lose too much sleep over it, good coffee in the morning will make them all happy again even if there are shenanigans.

After DH put them in the wrong room, I asked him about the dog, did they mention it? They got here at 830pm, not even 7pm like they said.
He told me "They said it is in the car with blankets" and I replied "They are going to sneak the dog into the room." He said, go police them then, bang on their door, would you rather have the dog frozen in the parking lot?
No, I wouldn't, so I will let it sleep in the room, upgraded to a king just for the dog! DOH! Blueeeeeeeeeeeee mooooooooooooooon

Morticia said:
In previous years we have had an excellent turn out for NYE here, but not since 2006. After that it flattened right out to nothing.
Us too. The whole week between Christmas and New Years used to be busy, but for the last four years or so, it has dried to a trickle, but Januarys have become even busier. Probably if I looked at the calendars since then, it would have something to do with where the holidays fall during the week.

We had nothing on Christmas or New Year's Eve, but the week between was our salvation... other than that we had one room night the entire month, but then we had a great week with great people. (Just to be contrary and mention that some good might sometimes come after Dec 26th...)
May your 2010 totally rock!
=)
Kk.

Back