Noticing a trend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
We are noticing that the one nighters always seem to want to check in early. In this covid time, people are venturing out but somewhat close to home. They just want a change of scenery. So is it ok if they get here at 11? They want to enjoy their one day as long as they possibly can.

Yikes! I know some other b&b’s here are doing late check out because they’re not booking back to back. Are you doing back to back reservations? If not, I’d look at monetizing the requests! An extra few bucks, maybe.

We charge $50 for an early checkin (between 11am and 3pm) or a late checkout (after 11 but before 4pm). Have done so for years. Only if available.
Yes, we're seeing a few more "we don't want to pay for two nights, but can I get there at 11am for check in?" people.

We’ve never charged for early check ins, but, like you said, maybe now is the time.

We’ve always treated early check ins as a way for us to enjoy cocktail hour without worry and waiting.

But it’s feeling different this year. (I guess everything is.).

We charge $50 for an early checkin (between 11am and 3pm) or a late checkout (after 11 but before 4pm). Have done so for years. Only if available.
Yes, we're seeing a few more "we don't want to pay for two nights, but can I get there at 11am for check in?" people.
We started early check in fees last year. It essentially stopped everyone from asking. ;-)

You're correct. Everyone wants to check in early. Until they have to pay for it.

We have the same experience with weddings. Mrs. Scout has to get pricing for all kinds of crazy, from horse-drawn carriages to wedding llamas (no, I am not making this up. It's a thing. Google it.). Then when she gives the bride the price, it's "no thanks."

We have never charged for early arrivals. If the room is ready, we welcome guests as early as 8 am. I'd much rather have some arrive early, than all at once at 2 pm, or worse, waiting up late... In regards to late check-outs, we typically do not allow them as it messes up our housekeeping. Right now though, as we do not rent back to back and our housekeeper only comes in 1 to 2 days a week, we have made many exceptions.

Well I only have done it occasionally and learn and re learn everytime I do it. So 3pm yesterday, turned into nearly 4pm and actually 4.30 pm. If I am here and everything is ready fine, but not that interested in wasting an afternoon.

One of the challenges we have is our reservation system asks guests for their expected check-in time. We also ask for phone reservations. In both cases, most people say 3 pm when they find out that's the earliest they can get in the room. And then 3 pm comes and goes. And 4pm. Then 5pm. Had one last week where their 3 pm check-in occurred at 9:30 pm.

Our reservation system asks guests for their expected check-in time. We also ask for phone reservations.

We also ask for an expected arrival time, a range of a couple of hours is sufficient, some give one, some don't, but in our prearrival emails I do try to gently explain that our reason for asking is that we have doctor appointments and other errands and I don't want them to cause them a problem by not being home when they arrive. Does it really help? I don't know, but without a time, I'm free to run an errand.

I’m seeing the very earlies are the one nighters. Stretching their short stay to as long as they can.

Our normal check in is after 4. That said, from 1-4 we allow early arrivals and they book this during their reservation process. We charge $35 for this service. The fees we make off of this pay for a vacation every year. It’s no more work than usual. People enjoy the service and there is value to this for customers. There is also cost as well for you (Water, electric and so on) so charge some for it. We just clean the rooms according to arrival times. We also are not doing back to back reservations. I might think about charging for a late checkout as well. Could be away to make a little extra money. Good suggestion.

We don't charge for early check-ins or late check-outs, but only do it if it works for me. When I am full house or close to it, I don't want everyone checking in at the same time (because they want their money's worth) and then get a bad review because they waited. I don't think I would ever allow before 12nn (except for leaving baggage, maybe, in the foyer), or leaving past 1 or 2 pm max. I also notice it is usually the one-nighters. If anything, I am considering raising my one night price, especially on the larger rooms which require a lot more work. Sort of like a premium, especially during the weekends. Holidays are always a 2 night minimum. I haven't re-opened yet so I am just messing with the idea. Anyone else does a premium for one-nighters?

I did offer late check-out to folks who were here for an event IF I did not have another coming in or I did not have somewhere/something happening for me that day. Recent examples were the 2 ladies who came for a bike race, I told them they could come back after the race to change before heading home. Another was here for her Father's Memorial Service and her plane was a late afternoon departure and she was being picked up between 2 and 3. Most times, guests just want to hit the road to get home at a decent time.

@MRA I’ve considered a premium on one nighters, but haven’t figured out how to get that set up on my reservation software. Plus, I also have to get ‘everyone else’ on board with that and it’s difficult when ‘everyone else’ will hand out discounts at the drop of a hat so would definitely not tell a caller that it’s a higher price for a single night.

@MRA I’ve considered a premium on one nighters, but haven’t figured out how to get that set up on my reservation software.

Mort, I like that idea of a premium for one night, actually had put it in a rate plan for this year and then chickened out when everything went to heck in the spring. I think my copy said something like "listed rates are based on multiple nights, single nights higher", pretty sure your/our software allows us to add the premium (think it shows as an added fee when making the reservation).

Our rates are usually favorable for our area and I prefer to "hold out" for guests that desire both Friday/Saturday. I can require both nights in our software, but then that sort of hides the favorable rates from someone searching on TA, that's the issue I'd like to resolve. This past weekend guests could have stayed two days with me for less than some were asking for one night, I'm not unhappy with our rates, but no longer have the energy for too many one night flips.

@MRA I’ve considered a premium on one nighters, but haven’t figured out how to get that set up on my reservation software.

I've charged $9 extra for one-nighters for years. In ResKey...
  1. Go to Properties tab.
  2. Select Rate Plans on the left.
  3. Select a room you want to set a surcharge for 1 night stays.
  4. Under Rate Rules, select the > at the far right of Rates.
  5. Midway down under Adjustments, look for Surcharge.
  6. Set it to "For reservations less than 2 nights".
  7. Set it to increase the total room cost by (your dollar amount or a percent of the total).
  8. Select [Save Changes] at the bottom of the screen.
  9. Repeat for any other rooms that need a surcharge added.
On one-night stays ResKey will now start adding your desired amount in the Fees section of the reservation charges. I've never has a soul complain about the surcharge.

Last edited:
@Arks Thanks, I’ll take a look at that! Am I right in assuming it won’t allow a one night stay if you have weekends, say, set for a two night min?

Am I right in assuming it won’t allow a one night stay if you have weekends, say, set for a two night min?

I would think so. It just adds a surcharge if a one night stay is booked. If another rule does not allow a one night stay then the surcharge question would should not come up.

Back