Now accepting applications - 70-100K free room and board! - San Pablo Lighthouse needs new keeper (and it is a B&B!)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
San Pablo Bay lighthouse needs new keeper
San Francisco Chronicle - CA, USA
Income from the bed-and-breakfast pays for the island maintenance and supports the lighthouse keepers, who earn between $70000 and $100000, plus room and ...

This would be a great job for someone with innkeeping experience near water/lighthouses/boats/fog/salt - hint hint

Bless their hearts they use webervations!!!
http://ebls.org/?page_id=66
What a specatacular place for a wedding. I guess there will be plenty there from San Fran. Wonder if the innkeeper can charge for those him or herself?

'Water comes from a 70,000-gallon cistern that collects rainfall. Supplies are so scarce that guests - even those paying $415 a night - are not allowed showers unless they stay a second night.'
am told they want a COUPLE. i wonder if they would consider a SINGLE. could be lonely!

Hold on...the PAY is $70-100,000 or the INCOME is that? Heck, I'd move tomorrow to actually have some money of my own.

THAT IS THE PAY plus room and board!! What an adventure. No expenses from your own pocket. They require two people - I can imagine it is alot of work with ferrying people back and forth and providing meals twice a day etc.

THAT IS THE PAY plus room and board!! What an adventure. No expenses from your own pocket. They require two people - I can imagine it is alot of work with ferrying people back and forth and providing meals twice a day etc..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
THAT IS THE PAY plus room and board!! What an adventure. No expenses from your own pocket. They require two people - I can imagine it is alot of work with ferrying people back and forth and providing meals twice a day etc.
Do the innkeepers do the ferrying? I wonder how they get the supplies in. You don't want to run out of something, that's for sure. Funny how they don't mention you should be a pretty darn good cook if you're all the guests can rely on for food!

What's kind of amazing is that they had a baby while living there. I would have worried about the delivery!

What's kind of amazing is that they had a baby while living there. I would have worried about the delivery!.
Bree said:
What's kind of amazing is that they had a baby while living there. I would have worried about the delivery!
That second link I posted explains some of the requirements. No kids no pets. But if you are a couple then has a kid...this is prob why there is a vacancy they need to fill!
Yes you need to ferry guests back and forth that is part of the service, prob when you shop. They also have volunteer positions needed - maintenance etc, so there would be alot of overseeing that probably. NICE!

What's kind of amazing is that they had a baby while living there. I would have worried about the delivery!.
Bree said:
That second link I posted explains some of the requirements. No kids no pets. But if you are a couple then has a kid...this is prob why there is a vacancy they need to fill!
Yes you need to ferry guests back and forth that is part of the service, prob when you shop. They also have volunteer positions needed - maintenance etc, so there would be alot of overseeing that probably. NICE!
I didn't read the app, but does the 'no kids, no pets' policy apply to the owners? I couldn't give up the dog...altho, I could probably loan her out for a year or two...maybe to the folks I hire to watch this place while I go do that!

'Water comes from a 70,000-gallon cistern that collects rainfall. Supplies are so scarce that guests - even those paying $415 a night - are not allowed showers unless they stay a second night.'
am told they want a COUPLE. i wonder if they would consider a SINGLE. could be lonely!.
REAL LONELY!!!!

Very nice place, except for:
"Because of strict water rationing, baths and showers are not available to guests who stay only one night."
I wouldn't want to be the person enforcing that. Imagine knocking on the door as someone is about to take a shower and tell them "since you're only here for one night, you cannot take a shower as per our strict water rationing policy, sorry."
http://ebls.org/?page_id=67

"Because of strict water rationing, baths and showers are not available to guests who stay only one night."
I wouldn't want to be the person enforcing that. Imagine knocking on the door as someone is about to take a shower and tell them "since you're only here for one night, you cannot take a shower as per our strict water rationing policy, sorry."
http://ebls.org/?page_id=67.
TLE041 said:
http://ebls.org/?page_id=67
They may have timers on the showers so that wouldn't be necessary.

This would be a tough job, no wonder the pay is so appealing! I didn't read the application but just skimmed the website.
  • 5 guest rooms to clean
    • With water being conserved, they may use a laundry service!
  • 3 meals a day to cook for +/- 15(?)
  • transport guests to/from mainland -
    • 2 trips made on some days
    • 20 minute trip - each way
  • Coast Guard commercial boat licence required
If this place is as busy as it seems, the few times when there is no one to clean after or cook for (except yourselves) I do not think I would be 'lonely' - I think I would be resting my weary bones.

This would be a tough job, no wonder the pay is so appealing! I didn't read the application but just skimmed the website.
  • 5 guest rooms to clean
If this place is as busy as it seems, the few times when there is no one to clean after or cook for (except yourselves) I do not think I would be 'lonely' - I think I would be resting my weary bones..
Copperhead said:
  • 5 guest rooms to clean
If this place is as busy as it seems, the few times when there is no one to clean after or cook for (except yourselves) I do not think I would be 'lonely' - I think I would be resting my weary bones.
2 meals a day.
boat license is not biggee
I would love to be the Capt and cart people around. Make trips to the mainland for supplies. AWESOME! I think that is excellent! I guess I am an old salt, all of this appeals to me, as long as I was not the one stuck cooking and cleaning only. Hey sounds like here doesn't it!
The FOG horn is the only thing that would wear me down, the fog is intense in teh bay area, it would be common for days and days and weeks to be going off, that would make me insane. My cousin commutes in that fog and encounters the 30 -50 car pile ups all the time. Wouldn't want to deal with a boat hitting the island.

• 5 guest rooms to clean
If this place is as busy as it seems, the few times when there is no one to clean after or cook for (except yourselves) I do not think I would be 'lonely' - I think I would be resting my weary bones..
Copperhead said:
  • 5 guest rooms to clean
2 meals a day.
I would love to be the Capt and cart people around. Make trips to the mainland for supplies. AWESOME! I think that is excellent! I guess I am an old salt, all of this appeals to me, as long as I was not the one stuck cooking and cleaning only. Hey sounds like here doesn't it!
The FOG horn is the only thing that would wear me down, the fog is intense in teh bay area, it would be common for days and days and weeks to be going off, that would make me insane. My cousin commutes in that fog and encounters the 30 -50 car pile ups all the time. Wouldn't want to deal with a boat hitting the island.
There is NO WAY I would want to be that isolated!! I don't care how much they pay.

• 5 guest rooms to clean
Copperhead said:
  • 5 guest rooms to clean
2 meals a day.
There is NO WAY I would want to be that isolated!! I don't care how much they pay.
And that place is really isolated. Not for me!
Riki

I might be able to do it for 1 week- tops. I need my people!!!

Back