Now Entering the 21st Century!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Ta-ta-ta-tat-ta-da we today entered the 21st century. My son bought a router and we were up until 1AM last night trying to get it to work. This morning I called a computer geek place (20 minutes just in travel time - EACH WAY) and said come and do it to it. We NEVER would have gotten that thing to work. The geek ended up having to call Verizon to be walked through a complication that unless you spoke the language (and I am not referring to any nationality other than GEEK SPEAK) you would be SOL. I also had him go over the system looking for crap that had invaded and fine tune it. I wrote him a check for almost $500 and he was surprised I was not grumbling about it - I had no problem with it becaue I am now functioning with WiFi that works.
One thing he told us was that if you get a message that says something like - we detected a virus on your system, click here to fix - do NOT click ON THE CLOSE BUTTON because THAT is usually the trigger. He said to do a control/alt/delete to bring up your task menu and do an end task on it. That deletes it without pulling the trigger mechanism.

We went to the trouble and expense to have Wifi and hardly anyone uses it.
angry_smile.gif
Most leave their laptops at home.

YAY!!!!!
Maybe I need to come and visit you again....
A lot of our guests leave their laptops at home... but the ones who don't are soooo grateful! (And I use it a LOT myself...).
Speaking of which... Swirt, could you repost how to have the wireless completely, utterly secure? I think it involved two routers...
=)
Kk.

Yay! Even if folks don't bring their laptops, a lot of people now have Smart Phones that have the capability to connect to a WiFi network or others are using the iTouch. I use free WiFi networks with my new Smart Phone because it's faster.

Now you can offer packages for business guests! Way to go. Everyone uses our wi fi here. Last week we had people planning their day - I told them about the rack cards we had and they wanted to search it all out online. I hope you send a rack card and invite to ALL your local businesses now announcing this new amenity.

It will be totally worth it when the first person walks in and asks "Do you have WiFi?" When you say "Yes" wait 'til you see the grin light up their face! Good for you, ours was hard to set up originally but we haven't really had to do anything with it since.

gillumhouse said:
One thing he told us was that if you get a message that says something like - we detected a virus on your system, click here to fix - do NOT click ON THE CLOSE BUTTON because THAT is usually the trigger. He said to do a control/alt/delete to bring up your task menu and do an end task on it. That deletes it without pulling the trigger mechanism.
thank you for the tip!
Riki

I'm to the point where I hate to stay somewhere without WiFi. And if I have a choice betweeen two places to stay, the one with will win every time.
My theory is I want my B&B to be the one "with." With WiFi, with TV's, with AC, with private baths... etc., etc.
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
thank you for the tip!
Riki.
The role of this Forum is to pass helpful info to members and lurkers.

We always take our laptop and have found that most places now offer free WIFI, LOVE IT!!

I'm to the point where I hate to stay somewhere without WiFi. And if I have a choice betweeen two places to stay, the one with will win every time.
My theory is I want my B&B to be the one "with." With WiFi, with TV's, with AC, with private baths... etc., etc.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We stayed at a place with no a/c recently and nearly died. I would never have thought to even ask if they had a/c, it is like running water, do you need to ask? Apparently so!
Sure the windows opened and all that, but for privacy you needed to keep the shade down as their was a walkway/deck right outside our room.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We stayed at a place with no a/c recently and nearly died. I would never have thought to even ask if they had a/c, it is like running water, do you need to ask? Apparently so!
Sure the windows opened and all that, but for privacy you needed to keep the shade down as their was a walkway/deck right outside our room.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
One of our first ever reservations I answered the phone and a guy said without preamble, "Do you have air conditioning?" When I said the entire house did, he handed the phone to his wife who made the reservation.
It's only hot here for a few weeks, but that's the time they come... every year... third year in a row now!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
One of our first ever reservations I answered the phone and a guy said without preamble, "Do you have air conditioning?" When I said the entire house did, he handed the phone to his wife who made the reservation.
It's only hot here for a few weeks, but that's the time they come... every year... third year in a row now!
=)
Kk.
We get the A/C question a lot. Mostly because guests coming here come from where A/C is a requirement for living comfortably and because it is NOT a requirement here, so they ask just to be sure.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We get the A/C question a lot. Mostly because guests coming here come from where A/C is a requirement for living comfortably and because it is NOT a requirement here, so they ask just to be sure.
I also get the A/C question. Thank goodness they stopped asking if we had indoor plumbing! lol (tongue in cheek)

Has anyone tried Magic Jack? It's supposed to dramatically cut your phone bill. We have WiFi, but I don't know if runs off the digital phone or broadband. My question is - can you still run WiFi if you switch to Magic Jack? SWIRT?

Has anyone tried Magic Jack? It's supposed to dramatically cut your phone bill. We have WiFi, but I don't know if runs off the digital phone or broadband. My question is - can you still run WiFi if you switch to Magic Jack? SWIRT?.
SweetiePie said:
Has anyone tried Magic Jack? It's supposed to dramatically cut your phone bill. We have WiFi, but I don't know if runs off the digital phone or broadband. My question is - can you still run WiFi if you switch to Magic Jack? SWIRT?
I have no experience with Magic Jack but understand how it works.
It runs on your broadband through one of the computers on your network. You can still have wifi. One does not eliminate the other.
I would be hesitant to use it on a computer that is connected via wifi though ...might be a bit too slow for it. (just speculating) I'd run it off a computer that is wired to the network.

Has anyone tried Magic Jack? It's supposed to dramatically cut your phone bill. We have WiFi, but I don't know if runs off the digital phone or broadband. My question is - can you still run WiFi if you switch to Magic Jack? SWIRT?.
I think it is just like all those other info mmercials..."if it sounds too good to be true..it usually is not worth the purchase."

Back