Now I KNow -

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Well, now I know what is the reaction of the cigar smoker. Just got an e-mail from HIM. (Funny but I also got my toll-free bill today and the call from her making the reservation was over 10 minutes). Somehow I am not surprised by this and am not about to be blackmailed by someone who could not smoke his cigar any place other than my front porch. This will teach me to ALWAYS go to the reservation system and take care of the thank you e-mail immediately.
Becky and I feel we were misled by your website and Becky’s conversations with you. An otherwise thoroughly enjoyable trip for a period of ten days came to a sudden disappointment when we arrived at your facility.
We have stayed at many B&B’s and have never experienced anything like what we did at the Gillum House. The landscape was unkempt and the general presentation of the home was more reminiscent of a ‘boarding’ house than a B&B. That is what lead to our quick exit after traveling more than five and one-half hours from Lexington, KY by motorcycle. We looked forward to our experience at the Gillum House as being the icing on a wonderful trip that was closing with our final night’s stay with you. We both realized sleep was not an option had we stayed, so we got back on the bike and stayed at a hotel off of the highway where we could eat and then sleep.
Having expressed to you our disappointment, perhaps our greatest shock was the fact that you still felt comfortable with billing us, in full, for the almost thirty minutes we spent on your premises. Not only did you invoice, you presented us with an amount in excess of what was agreed to (over $143.00)-the rate should have been $110.00. Once you realized your error, you promptly provided another invoice for the full amount, $110.00 plus tax.
I had considered a call to the credit card company to dispute the invoice, and may still do so. It is inappropriate, as a business owner, that you charged us for services not used. A partial charge would have been more appropriate, or no fee at all for our inconvenience.
Sincerely,
I am sorry you feel that way. As to the amount of the charge, I did not argue amount the amount due to the fact it was not worth the effort. If that was how you felt, there was nothing I could do about it.
If you would consult the Confirmation letter I sent Becky via e-mail (which I do still have a copy of) you will see everything is spelled out regarding day and date of arrival and departure, charge per night, tax rate, dietary restrictions, etc. I also included a routing - both scenic and fast route as a service.
Also, if you will consult the e-mail which Becky responded to regarding the reservation being 3 Days away, at the bottom of the page, the rate is shown as is the tax. If you go to my web site, you will see that there is no room rate of $110.
I wish you well and many enjoyable trips in the future.
Kathleen Panek

Sorry K!
angry_smile.gif

Yes, the good part is always the lesson learned, in this case about killing those automatic thank you letters when it's needed.
Try not to let it eat at you. You know they're wrong, and you know you will never convince them of that fact.

Yes, the good part is always the lesson learned, in this case about killing those automatic thank you letters when it's needed.
Try not to let it eat at you. You know they're wrong, and you know you will never convince them of that fact..
I am not getting into a peeing contest with him. I have the proof about the rate and that is all I am saying. And I moved it to a saved area. Meanwhile, I will be watching my statements carefully.

You might want to do a pre-emptive blackmail TA statement in your owners dashboard. He didn't say anything about TA, but you never know!
I'm so sorry this guy is being a jerk and hopefully he got it off his chest and won't dispute it.

Try not to let it eat at you. You know they're wrong, and you know you will never convince them of that fact..
I am not getting into a peeing contest with him. I have the proof about the rate and that is all I am saying. And I moved it to a saved area. Meanwhile, I will be watching my statements carefully.
gillumhouse said:
K, did you swipe the card and they signed it? If so, they would have little to stand on by filing. You have their confirmation, record of their phone call making the reservation, and hopefully their signed CC receipt. If you have a scanner, scan them all and put in one folder.
Now, on to better things to do with your time!!!

gillumhouse said:
K, did you swipe the card and they signed it? If so, they would have little to stand on by filing. You have their confirmation, record of their phone call making the reservation, and hopefully their signed CC receipt. If you have a scanner, scan them all and put in one folder.
Now, on to better things to do with your time!!!
Used Square and although SHE made the rez, HE gave me the card and the signature. As I was getting ready to swipe, HE came in suggesting we "split the difference"but I gave them her rate. Wish i could remember how to do the preemptive. Will have to take my chances like the rest of the world. That guy is not depressing me - his royal highness has the yard in his teeth again - and guess who get to do it all as his highness instructs how to hold that heavy piece of equipment and just how to trim those hedges that are full of poison ivy that I catch just by looking at.......
Sorry - thwarted again. We have an electric stove - the oven is no help!

Thinking of the sort of issues and decisions innkeepers have to deal with, I wanted to post this one I saw today on the PAII forum.
Yeah. This actually happened to me. 7 couples booked the entire house for a special event with lots of extras to the tune of over $5,000. The day before the event one of the spouses was killed in an accident. The ring leader called the next day--couple hours notice--to cancel the entire weekend of events. What to do??? I thought about it and refunded the extras that were not used--dinners, massages, etc.--but held firm to the room rentals--14 room nights. I was not in a position to give them a $5,000 gift, but a room rental only seemed fair. The leader was upset at first. Then called back saying he was a small business owner, too, and thought my solution was reasonable, considering I was caught between a rock and a hard place.
Had they no-showed, I would have billed them the entire fare. Maybe less the unused certificates, but the spa people had made plans and would have been paid assuming the people still might show up.
Consider if they had a Super Bowl package in a distant city. Do you think the NFL, the airline, and the hotel would give any kind of refund if they no-showed? That's the whole reason that payments for special events are paid in full in advance. My house isn't a Super Bowl event, but the package they had scheduled was the local equivalent.

Back