Now I'm freaking out!!!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I have a guest who is here traveling on business. He remarked that he couldn't wait to get here because for the past week he was at a conferance in ____________ and was forced to stay at the Ramada. Which he referred to as 'bed bug haven'. Now I really concerned and upset that he might have brought unwelcomed travelers with him.
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

What can I do? This is like my worst nightmare!!!!
icon_pale.gif
Hence the freaking out!

If you are concerned he may be traveling with company, you can completely strip the room once he's gone, wash everything at high temps, dry on high temps, move the furniture, vacuum thoroughly and throw the bag immediately outside in the trash (don't store in the house). Remove the mattress & boxspring, wipe down the bed rails, clean out the outlets in the rooms, vacuum out the baseboards.
However, this could be the scenario for any traveler, it's just that he chose to mention it.

If you are concerned he may be traveling with company, you can completely strip the room once he's gone, wash everything at high temps, dry on high temps, move the furniture, vacuum thoroughly and throw the bag immediately outside in the trash (don't store in the house). Remove the mattress & boxspring, wipe down the bed rails, clean out the outlets in the rooms, vacuum out the baseboards.
However, this could be the scenario for any traveler, it's just that he chose to mention it..
Bree said:
However, this could be the scenario for any traveler, it's just that he chose to mention it.
Are they big enough to be visible to the naked eye? Have you ever seen one? I tried to google an image, but I wasn't able to get a size perspective. Sorry to seem neurotic, but the whole idea skeeves me.

His comment may have been an attempt at wry humor, and may not actually mean that there were bedbugs. Could just be a derogatory statement to show that he prefers the comfort and hominess of a B&B.

However, this could be the scenario for any traveler, it's just that he chose to mention it..
Bree said:
Are they big enough to be visible to the naked eye? Have you ever seen one? I tried to google an image, but I wasn't able to get a size perspective. Sorry to seem neurotic, but the whole idea skeeves me.
If you do a search I put a link to a factsheet on bedbugs. Oh..just go here

Bree said:
We went to a trade show last year and the guy with the pest control booth had jars with dead bugs in it so you could see what everything looked like. So, yes, you can see them. They are small, tho. About the size of the head of a pin. Favorite places are the seams of the mattresses and the outlets near the bed. As well as the baseboards or any furniture near the beds.
Also, they leave a trail of small blood spots on the sheets after they bite someone.

#1 I hope the health dept was alerted, or was he just speaking sarcastically? Like "Roach Motel"
Keep us posted.

Bree said:
We went to a trade show last year and the guy with the pest control booth had jars with dead bugs in it so you could see what everything looked like. So, yes, you can see them. They are small, tho. About the size of the head of a pin. Favorite places are the seams of the mattresses and the outlets near the bed. As well as the baseboards or any furniture near the beds.
Also, they leave a trail of small blood spots on the sheets after they bite someone.
Bree said:
He's gone. I totally stripped the room. I have only white linens with lace trim. No sign of blood spots or tiny pinsized insects. Do you think I'm safe at this point? Having all white everything does have its advantages.

Bree said:
Bree said:
He's gone. I totally stripped the room. I have only white linens with lace trim. No sign of blood spots or tiny pinsized insects. Do you think I'm safe at this point? Having all white everything does have its advantages.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Bree said:
I have no idea if it's safe or not! I'd keep an eye out for the next few days/weeks and vacuum thoroughly everywhere in the room. Like others said, he was probably just joking. If he was serious, I think he would have said something more along the lines of he saw the bugs, slept in his clothes, etc.

Back