Now is the perfect time to tell me about that food allergy.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s not much point asking for non dairy milk as you sit down to breakfast either, cos I don’t keep it in stock.

and even though you’re staying 3 nights I’m not doing a 12 mile round trip to the supermarket to get a carton if you can’t be bothered to tell me when you book.

I'm always amazed when this happens.
We ask them at time of booking.
We ask them via the confirmation email.
We ask them via the reminder email.
We ask them at check-in.
And we still get that person who lets us know the morning of breakfast.

man-say-say-fromtthe-kitchen-customers.jpeg

This morning’s breakfast included the stated food allergies. No one at their table got that food. I’m not playing any longer!

Not.

Not when I put the plate in front of you and you ask if it has whatever in it. Not after I’ve put together a snack with the same ingredient. Not when the whole weekend’s meals are already planned.

I ask in advance too. For those who don’t respond, I make a note and ask at arrival. But with two rooms this is doable. Not so much for multiple rooms. I finding the August type guests are not coming here as much this year, so less of this kind of incident. I did have to strongly encourage a couple to leave who had asked and been granted, an extra hour. It went surprisingly well. My August bottom line was normal this year, in spite of taking a couple of days off each week to do online work from home. September is looking good for advance bookings at this time. I did a month long let for the studio in a nearby city, so no cleaning trips this month.
Two in house now who have already posted a 5 star Google review. That’s a first. I’ll thank them at breakfast.

We keep almond milk, gluten-free bread and veggie sausage in stock, as well as a small assortment of vegan items in the freezer. Part of my Boy Scout training, I guess.

I note that they now have almond milk in boxes that doesn't have to be refrigerated until it's opened. The gluten-free bread and veggie sausage can be frozen until needed.

We get this so much, we even created a custom field in our reservation software so our team is prompted to ask for it and can generate a report in the mornings.

I just got this reservation online. Then they wanted a room service dinner. Uhhhhh, no way! This is a bit much, but I'll ply him full of eggs, fruit and breakfast meats. At least I was given advanced warning.
Tree Nuts:
Almond
Cashew
Coconut
Hazelnut
Walnut
Grains:
Wheat
Barley
Rye
Rice
Buckwheat
Legumes:
Peanut
Soybean
Shellfish:
Scallop
shrimp
crab
lobster
mussels
Misc:
sesame
blue cheese

Not.

Not when I put the plate in front of you and you ask if it has whatever in it. Not after I’ve put together a snack with the same ingredient. Not when the whole weekend’s meals are already planned.
One of the great things about delivering breakfast to their door is you knock and run. Nobody tells me at the last minute they won't eat something. Take it or leave it. That's all there is.

One of the great things about delivering breakfast to their door is you knock and run. Nobody tells me at the last minute they won't eat something. Take it or leave it. That's all there is.

We do service, but if they want it to go, we do pick-up breakfast. But breakfast is in a divided container, sealed on a tray with the other items. Closed. Too late to ask for changes. It's ready for pick up... not cooked to order.
71InLwl5MfL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

I just got this reservation online. Then they wanted a room service dinner. Uhhhhh, no way! This is a bit much, but I'll ply him full of eggs, fruit and breakfast meats. At least I was given advanced warning.
Tree Nuts:
Almond
Cashew
Coconut
Hazelnut
Walnut
Grains:
Wheat
Barley
Rye
Rice
Buckwheat
Legumes:
Peanut
Soybean
Shellfish:
Scallop
shrimp
crab
lobster
mussels
Misc:
sesame
blue cheese
This looks like an allergy list they simply shared. It's just easier that way.

Sad to say, my little granddaughter is allergic to all nuts, coconut, and sesame seeds and it keeps getting worse. Also loads of food colorings and some other things. you know those cupcakes with dark red or blue frosting? Can't have them. Shocking to read labels and discover some hamburger buns have ground sesame seeds in them even though not sprinkled on top. I don't know why they put them in there. Can't even have candy and things made where nuts are processed. But not allergic to shellfish as far as I know! She's very good natured about the whole thing and carries benadryl and an epipen. It's just her life.

Tree Nuts:
Almond
Cashew..................
Yikes! Have you been doing more room service dinners this year?

Yikes! Have you been doing more room service dinners this year?
Yes, when we first opened back up the beginning of July I think I was doing them for every guest. Once August came, people were a little more adventurous to go out and do outside dining at a restaurant, so not quite as many. I have 3 this week. I raised my prices because food costs have gone up significantly.

Are you still doing yours?

Yes, when we first opened back up the beginning of July I think I was doing them for every guest. Once August came, people were a little more adventurous to go out ........

Are you still doing yours?

Yes. Our local restaurant stayed closed longer than required. Owner was worried he’d go to all the expense of reopening only to be shut down again. Almost everyone wanted an evening meal. Now more choice out there and back to normal. Relieved.

In the big city, lots of choice, they just request if they can sit in the dining room and they can have cutlery and plates. No problem.

Not.

I too plan my meals ahead very carefully and always ask about food allergies and diet restrictions at booking and when they arrive. Last week a couple booked two nights through an OTA. I never got a response to my email and no phone number. When they had not shown up by 10 PM I left instructions on the front door and went to bed. 11:30 PM, she calls to tell me her fiancé will arrive in 30 minutes and that she is staying with friends in a nearby cabin (He had allergies to all the dogs staying there.). 12:30 AM she calls again (No apologies for the 2nd late hour call) wanting to know if he got there okay? WTH? Hubby gets up to check... yes, he did.
Next morning at breakfast (15 minutes late): "I can't eat this muffin, I am allergic to nuts." Okay, I will bring out your entree, a soufflé ..."I'm allergic to eggs too." After I run down his entire list of "Can't eats" I inform him that I will work around them the next morning.
Next morning: I get up and start breakfast. Then I get an "off" feeling and decide to check the parking lot; he never came back after he left the previous day.
Grrr! 😡 I guess the dog allergies weren't that bad after all. I would say that these two Millennials are NOT ready for marriage!

Back