Now I've Done It

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I had an elopement yesterday. Since the temps have been in or near single digits AND the log house is NOT heated, I called the bride to ask if the log house was super important. She said no. I explained that I really did not want her to have goosebumps the size of baseballs. So I moved my dining room table about 1 foot away from the "gift shop" Hoosier and draped said area witl tulle. I made them a dinner last night to compensate for no log house (and today I am knackered!).
This morning I went to move the table back where it belongs. In doing so, I knocked off 1 leg of it. Large tables with 2 leaves in them do NOT stand up with only 3 legs. I wass able to shove the leg undr enought to hold it up for breakfast, but now am in a pickle. We bought this table from Sears Early American collection "scratch & dent room" while the kids were still at home 35 to 40 year ago. I have had the 2 leaves in it since 1995 (prior to that there was not enough space for even 1 leaf).
I am going to do a post on FB asking for help (lots of people said let us know if you need anything - this will find out how serious that was). It is too heavy for me to even put it on its side.
I knocked off the left leg of the table This is it from both directions. I held the camera under the table and clicked. I may be able to fix it once I get the table on the floor.
UPDATE: Friends stopped in as a "lay-over" visit last night. They helped me put the table on the floor. The bolt had come out and a chunk of the wood from the leg splintered off (I saw and retrieved it when the leg fell off).
The bolt was long enough that he could use a vice grips to screw it deeper into the leg. Then he re-attached the leg to the table and bolted it down - tight. We checked the other bolts and all is OK. Removed one of the leaves so now it is a 6-person table - I rarely serve breakfast for more than 4. - which gave me another 6-inches of floor at both ends and will make getting around the table easier.
eboltout.JPG

eUnderthetable-gillumhouse.JPG

Not the wedding, the broken table leg!.
Will try later. I think it can be fixed, just needs some know-how. Himself could have done it. I think if nothing else, it can be bolted on with some L-clamps/bars/whatever they are called. Just no more pushing/pulling it.
I lost a dear Friend and hairdresser (cannot decide which I will miss more - I have received compliments on my haircut! never happened before - but she wa such a good Friend) and have to go to her funeral in a little while.

I'm trying to picture Gillum rolling around the floor trying to scoot under that table for the photo. She can probably hop back up faster than I could!
So I'm guessing that loose bolt means the bolt tore out of the wood of the leg? I'd fill the hole in the wood with epoxy then reinsert the bolt while the epoxy is still soft, making sure the bolt will still line up with the hole in the table. After the epoxy is good and hard, tighten that nut (don't over-tighten) and it will probably be fine again.

I'm trying to picture Gillum rolling around the floor trying to scoot under that table for the photo. She can probably hop back up faster than I could!
So I'm guessing that loose bolt means the bolt tore out of the wood of the leg? I'd fill the hole in the wood with epoxy then reinsert the bolt while the epoxy is still soft, making sure the bolt will still line up with the hole in the table. After the epoxy is good and hard, tighten that nut (don't over-tighten) and it will probably be fine again..
Interesting. My method would be to use a little gorilla glue and some bamboo sticks to make the hole smaller and then put the bolt back in and let the glue dry. But that's just my method of doing such weird things.

So I'm guessing that loose bolt means the bolt tore out of the wood of the leg? I'd fill the hole in the wood with epoxy then reinsert the bolt while the epoxy is still soft, making sure the bolt will still line up with the hole in the table. After the epoxy is good and hard, tighten that nut (don't over-tighten) and it will probably be fine again..
Once I get that puppy down, I will let you know what is next.
No, Gillum was NOT rolling on the floor (it would take a block & tackle to get me up!). I held my hand under the table with the lens pointed toward the gimpy leg. Son in Finland bought a Coolpix for Himself a few years ago - it fit in a shirt pocket and he could hold it and click it with his left hand (right hand was useless). I am using it now instead of my Sony. It actually takes better pictures.

Sometimes tables have removable legs. Hard to tell from the photo but can you put the leg in place and then tighten the bolt back down to hold it?

As Arks said the bolt probably pulled out, that type of bolt should have wood screw threads on the end screwed in the leg and machine screw threads where you see the washer and nut under the table. I am assuming it won’t just tighten up as it is now.
I would take the leg off and remove the bolt, using the bolt hole as a pilot hole drill it larger (3/8 or 1/2) and glue in a dowel, when dry (next day) drill a new hole in the dowel slightly smaller than the bolt and screw the bolt back into the leg. If there is a middle section with no threads you might could use a set of vice-grip pliers, if it is all threads you can use 2 nuts on the machine screw end tightening one against the other and then use a wrench to thread the wood screw part into the leg.
If you can put a stack of books or something to hold the table corner up you could likely remove the leg and get assistance with the repair
Let me know if you need help

As Arks said the bolt probably pulled out, that type of bolt should have wood screw threads on the end screwed in the leg and machine screw threads where you see the washer and nut under the table. I am assuming it won’t just tighten up as it is now.
I would take the leg off and remove the bolt, using the bolt hole as a pilot hole drill it larger (3/8 or 1/2) and glue in a dowel, when dry (next day) drill a new hole in the dowel slightly smaller than the bolt and screw the bolt back into the leg. If there is a middle section with no threads you might could use a set of vice-grip pliers, if it is all threads you can use 2 nuts on the machine screw end tightening one against the other and then use a wrench to thread the wood screw part into the leg.
If you can put a stack of books or something to hold the table corner up you could likely remove the leg and get assistance with the repair
Let me know if you need help.
Actually, there isn’t any need to go through drilling it out bigger.
Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get this 2-part putty:
http://low.es/2Civspf
you kneed The two parts together for a couple of minutes, and then push it into the hole that is stripped out. Wait about 10 minutes and you can screw the screw back in And it will tighten up just fine

Oh dear!
If it was just a table for your own personal use, you could play with it. But this is for guest use so it's got to be fixed properly. I'd probably buy a new table. If money is tight, I have found amazing things on FB marketplace - local people moving or clearing house. Well made things, too.
Call in those favors! And may I suggest, as one widow to another, you call more than one person? I went to my late husband's church and asked at coffee hour, then I went to his fishing club. That worked very well ...
As a caution ... How can I say this without sounding like a dimestore novel? I had men show up offering to help but who were more trouble than help.
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and the challenges you face. I know you are strong, but it is okay to ask for help.

Back