nudging made up people to wash with dark cloths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
five towels this morning have bronzer or similar stuff on them .... have changed out any clean white or yellow towels with dark blue ones.
someplace i stayed had little stacks of makeup remover towelettes
and a little sign on dark cloths asking that those be used.
have you seen these? do you use either the disposable towelettes or the signs?
does it help??

i found some online 'makeup remover wipes' made by spa scents .. don't know anything about them but it says they remove mascara and lipstick.

I have changed from using white towels and cloths to all dark sets. This has saved me $$$ in both stain remover and replacements of towels and or cloths, especially since my bath sets are very plush. I for one have never been a big fan of harsh stain removers and bleach as they are not good for septic systems nor for the linens.

I provided makeup remover disposal towelettes and folks did use them I don't remember ever having makeup on any of my towels. It worked for me

In every room I have two makeup removal wipes (the pre-moistened towelettes) and one white facecloth tied with a ribbon that says 'for makeup removal'. It helps, but I still get people wiping their makeup off on my regular towels and washclothes. The while facecloths are bleached and they are inexpensive enough that I can discard them when they are too dingy.
I am moving away from colored towels and have mostly white and beige now. The prevalence of the peroxide-based face products like pro-active have taken the color out of most of my colored towels, and I will be replacing them with beige or white.

dark blue cloths and remover wipes in all bathrooms (Get them in the refill packs at Wal-mart)

I emailed you our signs that we use that go with our makeup face cloths. We have all white towels & I thought I'd jazz it up a bit by having some colored wash cloths for makeup removal that go with the rooms decor. (9 pack of inexpensive ones from TJ Maxx) Had several of them ruined by that stuff that has bleach it too, so I've bought a couple of packs that are white. When they get stained, they become cleaning/polishing cloths.

Yes we have the make-up remover towelettes, yes we have the 'different' color face cloths (I have them in pastels), no it doesn't work. Maybe with a sign it might work, but not just because they are right on the sink where you can't miss them.

I emailed you our signs that we use that go with our makeup face cloths. We have all white towels & I thought I'd jazz it up a bit by having some colored wash cloths for makeup removal that go with the rooms decor. (9 pack of inexpensive ones from TJ Maxx) Had several of them ruined by that stuff that has bleach it too, so I've bought a couple of packs that are white. When they get stained, they become cleaning/polishing cloths..
Samster said:
I emailed you our signs that we use that go with our makeup face cloths. We have all white towels & I thought I'd jazz it up a bit by having some colored wash cloths for makeup removal that go with the rooms decor. (9 pack of inexpensive ones from TJ Maxx) Had several of them ruined by that stuff that has bleach it too, so I've bought a couple of packs that are white. When they get stained, they become cleaning/polishing cloths.
I got them at Home Goods, but it's all the same company. Those face cloths are really nice, too, surprisingly for such a low price.

In the past, we have provided both a paper make-up removers with our logo on it (under the logo was printed "Make Up Remover") AND a dark colored face cloth (in addition to our white face cloths) AND a little note in a frame asking them to use either the paper cloths or the dark face cloths for make-up removal. Guests would use the paper cloths to clean their eye glasses, use the colored face cloths as coasters for water glasses and use the white face cloths to remove make-up.
We guessed that using white cloths would help them know when they had removed all their make-up!
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com

I emailed you our signs that we use that go with our makeup face cloths. We have all white towels & I thought I'd jazz it up a bit by having some colored wash cloths for makeup removal that go with the rooms decor. (9 pack of inexpensive ones from TJ Maxx) Had several of them ruined by that stuff that has bleach it too, so I've bought a couple of packs that are white. When they get stained, they become cleaning/polishing cloths..
Samster said:
I got them at Home Goods, but it's all the same company. Those face cloths are really nice, too, surprisingly for such a low price.
Yes, and the cloths launder pretty well too, I've found. The darker ones I bought really suffered from that acne medicine or whatever it is but they make good cleaning cloths & I didn't feel too bad about them getting ruined because they were so reasonable. I have to say that mine do get used here. I have the little laminate business card signs tied on them with that gold elastic cording.

This is continually being discussed on this forum and others. I, for one, will not use a "provided" dark cloth to remove my make-up. I also think it's rude and a little tacky. I want to know that face cloths and towels I use have had a little bleach and I know that doesn't happen with dark towels, etc. Having said all that I travel with my own facecloths because of the laundry issues.
I only use white towels, etc. here. I carry Shout with me and get the spots even before they get to the laundry basket. I will buy less expensive face cloths and replace if needed but they certainly will last me a long time when I pre-treat the stains.
I also provide make-up remover pads. Sometimes they even get used. :eek:)

In the past, we have provided both a paper make-up removers with our logo on it (under the logo was printed "Make Up Remover") AND a dark colored face cloth (in addition to our white face cloths) AND a little note in a frame asking them to use either the paper cloths or the dark face cloths for make-up removal. Guests would use the paper cloths to clean their eye glasses, use the colored face cloths as coasters for water glasses and use the white face cloths to remove make-up.
We guessed that using white cloths would help them know when they had removed all their make-up!
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
Cape Cod Curmudgeon said:
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com
Welcome to the forum! We're glad you're here.
regular_smile.gif

This is continually being discussed on this forum and others. I, for one, will not use a "provided" dark cloth to remove my make-up. I also think it's rude and a little tacky. I want to know that face cloths and towels I use have had a little bleach and I know that doesn't happen with dark towels, etc. Having said all that I travel with my own facecloths because of the laundry issues.
I only use white towels, etc. here. I carry Shout with me and get the spots even before they get to the laundry basket. I will buy less expensive face cloths and replace if needed but they certainly will last me a long time when I pre-treat the stains.
I also provide make-up remover pads. Sometimes they even get used. :eek:).
you think it's rude and a little tacky? because ... why ... guests might think the dark towels have stains on them that can't be seen so well? but why does a guest think it is okay to scrub off bronzer that has stained brown streaks on the new lighter towels?
the towels are ruined and i just don't know what to do at this point. i use a little makeup and i understand what it does to fabric.
i ordered the makeup remover towelettes. maybe some guests will use those first.
but the body bronzer ... she would not remove that with a towelette ... having used the bronzer all over herself. it is also on the sheets.

you think it's rude and a little tacky? because ... why ... guests might think the dark towels have stains on them that can't be seen so well? but why does a guest think it is okay to scrub off bronzer that has stained brown streaks on the new lighter towels?
the towels are ruined and i just don't know what to do at this point. i use a little makeup and i understand what it does to fabric.
i ordered the makeup remover towelettes. maybe some guests will use those first.
but the body bronzer ... she would not remove that with a towelette ... having used the bronzer all over herself. it is also on the sheets.
I had that bronzer stuff on a white thick spa towel. Luckily it wasn't on the sheets. Fortunately, it washed out with oxyclean.
Did you have to order a gazillion of the makeup remover towelettes from that source? If you don't mind, could you let me know how you like them when you get them? Thanks!
Most germs are destroyed in the heat of the dryer btw.

I had that bronzer stuff on a white thick spa towel. Luckily it wasn't on the sheets. Fortunately, it washed out with oxyclean.
Did you have to order a gazillion of the makeup remover towelettes from that source? If you don't mind, could you let me know how you like them when you get them? Thanks!
You can get them from American Hotel. I think InnStyle may have them. I know Greenwich BAY used to carry them as well. Maybe even DNJ.
I think I had to buy a box of 50 or 100. But heck you go through them easily.
Here is a link I found at only
http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7599

You can get them from American Hotel. I think InnStyle may have them. I know Greenwich BAY used to carry them as well. Maybe even DNJ.
I think I had to buy a box of 50 or 100. But heck you go through them easily.
Here is a link I found at only
http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7599
Thanks...I think the last time I checked the other sites you had to order quite a few. I'll check it out when I order soaps next time.

CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com
regular_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com
regular_smile.gif
Thanks!

CCC
www.quincetreehouse.com.
You must be close the Isaiah Jones B&B? We stayed there back in 2006 with their previous owners.

How would you feel if you went to a hotel and they had special dark cloths and instructed you to use them for make-up or whatever?? We should be at least as good as a hotel and maybe even better.
We are dealing with the public. We are a busines. We should conduct ourselves that way in my opinion. Having things ruined by daily living is part of doing business. You buy linens, you write them off. I think bb hosts need to stop taking stuff like this personally, stop thinking about it as your home (even though it is) and expect that people are going to be people.
I understand it's hard to have this happen. It's annoying and it also makes me angry but it's life in the business of hosting the public who will not necessarily be wondering or worrying about whether they might damage something in the room accidentally. I'm sure they don't sit there and think "hmmm, I can make these people very miserable and unhappy by wiping the mascara off my face or showering off this stupid bronzer."

Back