Oatmeal question.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
I’m crossing my fingers that we can have our buffet style breakfast service this coming season. Assuming buffet, here’s my plan. I’ve put together a seven day standard menu. Four days a week, we will serve an egg dish with a side dish of potatoes. The egg dish and potato preparation will vary. Three days a week we will serve a sweet breakfast, pancakes, French toast, waffles, bread pudding. On the side, instead of potatoes, we will serve oatmeal.

The idea is that the potatoes and oatmeal are both gluten free, and vegan. So something for everybody every day, right? (On the buffet, there is also yogurt, fruit, toast, muffins.)

Anyway, here’s the question - would you vary the oatmeal flavors? For example, on Monday, pancakes and banana oatmeal and on Wednesday, French toast and apple cinnamon oatmeal. Or is it best to leave it plain with the obvious add ins available? (Brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, maple syrup, honey, milk, butter, fruit.).

Flavored oatmeal surprise? Or plain, comfortable oatmeal?

Since it will be buffet anyway, I would do the plain and buffet the what is in it also. Had a guest who "forgot" to tell me she could not have cinnamon on a day when EVERTYTHING had cinnamon - quickly scrambled some eggs for her. Some want it plain so this would satisfy all - IMNVHO.

Plain with fixings. We generally have oatmeal packs lying around but I never take the flavored ones, I like making my own mixture.

We do a hybrid with juice, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, baked goods and yogurt on the sideboard, and then a full cooked breakfast as well. We've been able to keep some things that are single-packed, sealed on the buffet, but now have to serve juice and fruit ourselves. Would really like to get both back on the buffet after this is over; it does tend to slow down service slightly.

Back