Observations from the weekend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
On Saturday night, we had a reservation for three rooms for 6 women. They left the husbands and the kids at home. They immediately made themselves at home, asked first, but moved furniture. Had a big lunch together on the porch. Played cards and laughed. Drank so much coffee and tea, we ran out of cups for breakfast. The whole fun weekend.
I was worried because of the horror stories I hear here.
The next morning, they RAVED about the place. They cleaned up their rooms pretty well, put the furniture back where we had it. And told me they were hoping to come again. I would love to have them again. They were fun but polite.
But the funniest part of the story is my observation of the candy dish. We leave out a dish of Wurther's originals candy mixed with Andes chocolate mint candy. The chocolate was GONE. Not one left. The Wurther's were untouched. I laughed.

There are groups and then there are groups. Glad you got the former!
We've had groups ring the bell and ask us to join them. Then we've had the ones we find in the kitchen 5 minutes after we've chased them out.

I asked them if they did this get together every year and they all said, "We will now!" Feeling good.
DH is tired from the summer, but he's pretty happy with how he did.
Next week is our "vacation." Sort of. I'm not working my city job, so we'll have more time together. Folding towels. :)

You're lucky. My last group of 6 professional older ladies were nice, but left one bathroom door off the hinges (why hang your heavy suitcase there and not in the closet??) broken glasses, and two heated towel racks pulled off the wall. Not a word about it either except for a complaint that the bathroom door would not close. Yeah, when you pull it off the hinges....!!!
We are sticking to our couples. No groups.

I asked them if they did this get together every year and they all said, "We will now!" Feeling good.
Next week is our "vacation." Sort of. I'm not working my city job, so we'll have more time together. Folding towels. :).
I have to say weddings are the worst group. Something about weddings brings out the worst. Could be the stress. The money spent; for some money they might not have but they feel obligated to 'be there'. The 'hey, this is just like college' attitude which means guests of guests stumbling into the dining room.
Some family dynamics are horrific and now they're all in your house.
Girlfriends go either way. Some are lovely; some shouldn't be let out without a keeper.

You're lucky. My last group of 6 professional older ladies were nice, but left one bathroom door off the hinges (why hang your heavy suitcase there and not in the closet??) broken glasses, and two heated towel racks pulled off the wall. Not a word about it either except for a complaint that the bathroom door would not close. Yeah, when you pull it off the hinges....!!!
We are sticking to our couples. No groups..
egoodell said:
We are sticking to our couples. No groups.
That is just crazy! People can be such jerks.

We are sticking to our couples. No groups..
Oh Geez...you're making me nervous. We "never" take groups, but a really nice guy from CO called a couple of months ago and said he, his brother and another male friend were coming to the area to bike and they wanted to take three accommodations for 3 nights. They would be leaving the wives at home and basically bike from one end to the other.
So after doing the math
thumbs_up.gif
and figuring that 3 older guys would not be a problem I booked them. 2 weeks ago the guy e-mails to let me know that the wives have decided to join them. So now it really is a group of 6. UGH too late to back out now.
They are here now, moved some out door furniture around (which I am not surprised at since we are set up for couples not a group.), asked for plenty of ice (a pile of recyclables this morning for the transfer station) and settled into the place. So far, so good. Keeping our fingers crossed that they behave themselves and make any noise in the cottage so we don't have to listen to them.

Next week is our "vacation." Sort of. I'm not working my city job, so we'll have more time together. Folding towels. :).
I have to say weddings are the worst group. Something about weddings brings out the worst. Could be the stress. The money spent; for some money they might not have but they feel obligated to 'be there'. The 'hey, this is just like college' attitude which means guests of guests stumbling into the dining room.
Girlfriends go either way. Some are lovely; some shouldn't be let out without a keeper.
Madeleine said:
I have to say weddings are the worst group.
I am innsitting this weekend for a big family group attending a wedding. And the head of the family is the COO of a pretty big restaurant group. I'm a little worried.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
I am innsitting this weekend for a big family group attending a wedding. And the head of the family is the COO of a pretty big restaurant group. I'm a little worried.

muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Family reunion is next on the list...remember the one a few years ago where SIL was thrown out at dinner and went home on her own, son ended up in the hospital with heart problems and the organizers confronted me with a picture from my website showing my breakfast page and demanding we serve them everything on the page even tho they had already eaten the entire buffet breakfast we put out?
Unhappy doesn't even come close.

Madeleine said:

muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Family reunion is next on the list...remember the one a few years ago where SIL was thrown out at dinner and went home on her own, son ended up in the hospital with heart problems and the organizers confronted me with a picture from my website showing my breakfast page and demanding we serve them everything on the page even tho they had already eaten the entire buffet breakfast we put out?
Madeleine said:
muirford said:
Madeleine said:
Yikes.

Back