Obvious observations from the oblivious

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in Paradise

Reaction score
So I had some guests stay here and they wrote about us on thier blog. They said that we are doing this so we can pay the mortgage and we should be ashamed of ourselves for doing that.
Well DUH !! of course we do this to pay the bills.
What are some of the more obvious obeservations from the oblivious you have had?

WHAT???? Did you read the blog? What was the context of that statement. How dare they? Of course you have a mortgage to pay!! I'd wager at least 90% do too. I don't understand.
tounge_smile.gif

WHAT???? Did you read the blog? What was the context of that statement. How dare they? Of course you have a mortgage to pay!! I'd wager at least 90% do too. I don't understand.
tounge_smile.gif
They accused us of having a family. And a life. I think they were mostly mad because they thought they booked someplace with multiple units in it and then acted like it should be as quiet as a Zen retreat 24 hours a day. We do make noise at appropriate times during the day !

tounge_smile.gif
They accused us of having a family. And a life. I think they were mostly mad because they thought they booked someplace with multiple units in it and then acted like it should be as quiet as a Zen retreat 24 hours a day. We do make noise at appropriate times during the day !
Well I guess better on their own personal blog than TA. That way no one sees it. Doesn't sound like they even know what a B & B is.

Guests: Checking in, having seen the parking lot full and the "No Vacancy" sign posted on the door..."Do you have any guests besides us tonight?"
Doh! No, it's just you tonight, we are ever so grateful to have you here!

tounge_smile.gif
whattha.gif
You have a mortgage? You mean you don't open your home up to complete strangers for days on end without a break simply because you LOVE it???
You really should be ashamed.

tounge_smile.gif
whattha.gif
You have a mortgage? You mean you don't open your home up to complete strangers for days on end without a break simply because you LOVE it???
I am
potty-mouth.gif

I am assuming this was their first B&B stay as they obviously do not know the industry at all. Well at least this rant will be burried for only their few friends that they provide the link to and not a large directory or review site for the world to read. But even then I think that people can read through this and see that they just were uneducated on the B&B experience.
I know it hurts, things like this do as you put your heart and soul into what you do BUT, you must carry on and think of all the wonderful people that have said wonderful things about your place and the new wonderful people who will be passing through your door any moment now ready for the Crystal B experience. - Pep talk done now Carry on!

Guests: Checking in, having seen the parking lot full and the "No Vacancy" sign posted on the door..."Do you have any guests besides us tonight?"
Doh! No, it's just you tonight, we are ever so grateful to have you here!.
I love the ones who say, "oh, you're open mid-week? Do you get people?"
DOH!!!!!!!

I'm right up there with, "How dare they???"
How do they know you have a mortgage to pay? If they had said that about me, I'd be giving them the WTF eye!!! When I bought my place ("Sanctuary"), I wrote a check (broker wasn't sure what to do with that LOL), and I do this kind of work because I LOVE DOING IT!!!!!!!!! Yes, still, I have bills to pay, and the income helps in that regard, but even if I won the Lottery, I'd still do this....BECAUSE I LOVE IT!!!! That probably never crossed their simple little minds, did it?

tounge_smile.gif
whattha.gif
I am
potty-mouth.gif
I would be too...so sorry you had this happen. Do you think the people knew you would read their blog? Did it come up on a Google alert or how did you even see it?

tounge_smile.gif
whattha.gif
I am
potty-mouth.gif
I would be too...so sorry you had this happen. Do you think the people knew you would read their blog? Did it come up on a Google alert or how did you even see it?
A family member told me about it. They were googling my place.

Well why did they book to stay at your B&B then????Makes no sense at all.
RIki

I don't get it either....but I certainly don't see that as a slam against you...just evidence of ignorance.

I heard this last night - if you are going to visit native Americans and stay there and see their culture in person, but not really sure if you will enjoy it (this is a play on words)
You would have a reservation about your reservation on the reservation

I have stayed at places that were soooo impersonal and where I felt that guests were a necessary evil to enable the hosts to eat. I'm sure I've had days when I've come across less than friendly but certainly not intentionally.
I think part of the charm and trick of hosting a BB is to make people feel comfortable in our homes and to ensure guests think think that we LUV our jobs (and of course we do) even when we have a million other things on the go and issues that are hard to deal with when there are strangers around.

Guests having just had breakfast with 12 other guests and are now getting ready to check-out. They see the other guests' cars are gone and they proceed to say, 'Wow, it's only 10 AM and everyone is gone. You get the rest of the day off, not bad. I have to work until at least 5 PM. Hey, hon, maybe we should do this B&B thing.'

Guests having just had breakfast with 12 other guests and are now getting ready to check-out. They see the other guests' cars are gone and they proceed to say, 'Wow, it's only 10 AM and everyone is gone. You get the rest of the day off, not bad. I have to work until at least 5 PM. Hey, hon, maybe we should do this B&B thing.'.
That reminds me of the guest who asked me where I was visting from
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
! His wife said she lives here! He said WOW that is soooo cool.

Back