Ocupancy?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree completely JI. There aren't enough B&Bs in that area. I lived there for a few years, 10 years ago. It is a beautiful area. I have posted this link before, but I thought I'd give it out again.
www.historicproperties.com
There are a ton of beautiful properties on that site in that area that are not B&Bs yet. I say "yet" because it would certainly be possible to make them into one.
There is a State University campus in Albany. There are 5 (I think) campuses of SUNY around the state. The Albany one was, when I lived there, the largest.
Good luck.
That's funny, in a way. Yes, absolutely true there are not enough B&B's in certain parts of the HV. Rhinebeck does ok. (Wrong side of the river, I know.) What's funny is that I lived in the HV for a few years (high school & college and my parents still live there) and for the life of me I have no idea why anyone would go there on vacation. Other than the large 'camps' in the Catskills.
I do know it's sad when I have to stay at a hotel when I visit my parents, tho!
Bree, you'd be surprised. NYC is so overcrowded that the whole population will go just about anywhere to get out of the concrete maze. Now that the Hamptons are overcrowded, there is a lot of press on alternatives that offer outdoor activities or just some fresh air and quietude.
The great thing about the New Paltz/Poughkeepsie area is that they're accessible via train. Most NYers don't have cars and it saves them $250 on a rental and gas if the innkeeper can pick them up from the MNR or Amtrak. There are B&Bs along the railroad that do VERY well with barely any nearby attractions--just a place to vege out for the weekend. Their prices rival that of NYC hotels. Unfortunately, public transportation gets limited north and into the Catskills.
The problem you'll face is, it's not just 1 destination; there are hundreds of towns in the HV and Catskills and it's hard to search for B&Bs on Tripadvisor and the like unless you have a town name in mind. People will just search for "B&B Catskills." So to get the NYers to find you, you have to get press for your B&B and optimize your search engine results to stand out from the crowd.
With your niche, it shouldn't be a problem to get press, though! I haven't seen any Bed & Biscuits up there, so it'd be a great story. And NYers will pay exorbitant rates to pamper their pets.
stephanie said:
Bree, you'd be surprised. NYC is so overcrowded that the whole population will go just about anywhere to get out of the concrete maze. Now that the Hamptons are overcrowded, there is a lot of press on alternatives that offer outdoor activities or just some fresh air and quietude.
I'm not the least bit surprised. I lived in NYC for 13 years. We had a cottage not far from Pok. It was rustic and fun to go there. But, after we moved there and I rusticated awhile longer, I just can't see GOING there to do anything but visit my family! I'm desensitized to the beauty of the area and it's not quiet anymore. All those dang city people moved there and take the train to work!
Haha. 13 years, eh? So that's where your edge comes from. Interesting... seems like there's a lot of former NYC folk in the B&B biz.
I haven't even gone that long and I get excited at the first clump of trees or wandering deer every time I leave.
It's true, the grass loses its green-ness as soon as it's yours. I hope I get a few good years before I become desensitized!

I agree completely JI. There aren't enough B&Bs in that area. I lived there for a few years, 10 years ago. It is a beautiful area. I have posted this link before, but I thought I'd give it out again.
There are a ton of beautiful properties on that site in that area that are not B&Bs yet. I say "yet" because it would certainly be possible to make them into one.
There is a State University campus in Albany. There are 5 (I think) campuses of SUNY around the state. The Albany one was, when I lived there, the largest.
Good luck.
That's funny, in a way. Yes, absolutely true there are not enough B&B's in certain parts of the HV. Rhinebeck does ok. (Wrong side of the river, I know.) What's funny is that I lived in the HV for a few years (high school & college and my parents still live there) and for the life of me I have no idea why anyone would go there on vacation. Other than the large 'camps' in the Catskills.
The great thing about the New Paltz/Poughkeepsie area is that they're accessible via train. Most NYers don't have cars and it saves them $250 on a rental and gas if the innkeeper can pick them up from the MNR or Amtrak. There are B&Bs along the railroad that do VERY well with barely any nearby attractions--just a place to vege out for the weekend. Their prices rival that of NYC hotels. Unfortunately, public transportation gets limited north and into the Catskills.
The problem you'll face is, it's not just 1 destination; there are hundreds of towns in the HV and Catskills and it's hard to search for B&Bs on Tripadvisor and the like unless you have a town name in mind. People will just search for "B&B Catskills." So to get the NYers to find you, you have to get press for your B&B and optimize your search engine results to stand out from the crowd.
With your niche, it shouldn't be a problem to get press, though! I haven't seen any Bed & Biscuits up there, so it'd be a great story. And NYers will pay exorbitant rates to pamper their pets.
stephanie said:
I'm not the least bit surprised. I lived in NYC for 13 years. We had a cottage not far from Pok. It was rustic and fun to go there. But, after we moved there and I rusticated awhile longer, I just can't see GOING there to do anything but visit my family! I'm desensitized to the beauty of the area and it's not quiet anymore. All those dang city people moved there and take the train to work!
Haha. 13 years, eh? So that's where your edge comes from. Interesting... seems like there's a lot of former NYC folk in the B&B biz.
I haven't even gone that long and I get excited at the first clump of trees or wandering deer every time I leave.
It's true, the grass loses its green-ness as soon as it's yours. I hope I get a few good years before I become desensitized!
stephanie said:
Haha. 13 years, eh? So that's where your edge comes from.
Edge? you think I have an edge? You talkin' to me?
wink_smile.gif

Good luck.
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif

Oops.
angel_smile.gif

Good luck.
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif

Oops.
angel_smile.gif

stephanie said:
I told hubs about this little back and forth and he laughed. 'Oh, that lady should see you in person!' He always used to think I was yelling at him until he heard a dining room full of NY'ers one morning. He said, 'I thought they were going to kill each other. You're telling me they're all friends? You people are crazy.'

Good luck.
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif

Oops.
angel_smile.gif

stephanie said:
I told hubs about this little back and forth and he laughed. 'Oh, that lady should see you in person!' He always used to think I was yelling at him until he heard a dining room full of NY'ers one morning. He said, 'I thought they were going to kill each other. You're telling me they're all friends? You people are crazy.'
Hehe. Luckily DH has been here longer than me. I'm usually the one telling him there's no need to yell. Especially when we're on the same side.

The marketing to dog owners is an iffy concept. I know there are alot of people who would love to bring their dogs along. But I think, there are MORE people, who would like to leave their dog at home.
A few things to ponder:
- Do the OTHER guest know that you have a dog-friendly B&B
- Will there be constant whining, barking cause one dog knows another dog is there
- Are all the dogs housetrained. It would not be a good thing if there is a dog that unrinates in the room.
If you decide to have a dog-friendly B&B, I would have certain rooms just for dogs.

Actually we get to pay someone to make it green (lawn fertilizer) so we can mow it twice a week.

Good luck.
stephanie said:
stephanie said:
wink_smile.gif

Oops.
angel_smile.gif

stephanie said:
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Remember my story? Same dining room scenario and DH thought there was a fight going on!
He came back into the kitchen and said, Man that is bad out there... I replied 'New Yorkers' and he said 'Oh' and then went back out.

Maybe it is because I have a fondness for the HV area but we have been there a number of times because we have family or friends that live in the area and didn't want to stay in a chain hotel.
One B & B in Red Hook I would not stay in again. Stayed at a B & B about a 30 min ride from Albany (it was the only one close to Albany)-great place. Stayed in another one in Croton-on-the-Hudson-nice place. Stayed at another B & B in Saratoga Springs-listed in Select Registry but served a cold breakfast (sparse)-other than that OK.

Since most of us are not from there...we really don't have a clue. Why don't you do some checking with the local chamber of commerce?

Thank you all again for your input.
I tried pulling up the Smith Travel Report, but of course they want to sell the subscription. I'm going to contact the NY State Hospitality & Tourism Assn. and a couple of other agencies tomorrow to see if I can get more info.
Trishany,
You raised some very good points. I've put together a list of Pros & Cons and two of your points are arleady on the Cons list. There are a lot of small details that have to be worked out, to say the least. Re: "Do the OTHER guest know that you have a dog-friendly B&B". That will be predominant in the promotion and advertising.

Back