Oddest guest request?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since I've now gone a bit undergrond with my identity I can tell you my oddest request:
About 3 years ago, a gentleman called who had stayed here previously on his honeymoon with his second wife. He told me that his wife "Laura" loved this place so much and their time here was very special. He then tells me that "Laura" died in a tragic car accident. She fell asleep while driving. He wanted to know if he could bury her ashes here because that would have ment a lot to her. First I was shocked, and being totally caught off guard I didn't really have time to think, but I figured oh well, there's no harm to it, so I said ok. A few months later my doorbell rings. It turns out they had a memorial service for "Laura" near our location (Laura & Jack lived in a different state) and it was "Jack" who was here to bury the ashes. We discussed the best approach for doing this and we came up with a good location which had a sentimental memory for them. He had a wooden box with her ashes...I gave him a shovel and left him alone. After awhile, "Jack" came back and I spent some time with him walking around our grounds, listening to his stories of their life together. What a sweet man he was. I told him that any time he's back in our area he has an open invitation to come over and visit "Laura".
About 6 months later I received a phone call from a relative of "Jack". I was told that "Jack" was diagnosed with cancer and he had a short time to live. "Jack" had his relative call me to see if it would be ok for his family to bury his ashes here next to "Laura". Of course I said yes. Quite a bit of time passed, but then I got the call from the family and we arranged a time when they could come over, have a memorial near the area (no other guests were here). There were about 25 family members who came from several different states and they buried "Jack" next to "Laura" and said their goodbyes.
Of course this is an extreme case, but it really drives home how we can never really know how we affect people. The environment and connection we make with our guests remains long after they're gone. Even though it freaked me out at first, I am honored that "Jack" and "Laura" felt such a connection here and that we were able to provide their final resting place. Sometimes I think about them when I get snarky and irritated and forget that what we do matters..
Now that is what I would call ODD.
OR, cynical as I can be at times - CHEAP. A cemetary plot costs a lot of money - do you know how much is charged to "open and close that hole"? Sorry, NW, I do not mean to downplay the sentimentaity of it for you, but it is sort of what I have told my kids to do. Sort of.
There is one more hole in the graves my grandparents bought in 1932. I told them to keep whoever in the closet (ashes) until the other dies and then go up to the cemetary and "plant flowers" next to my Daddy and leave empty handed.
gillumhouse said:
OR, cynical as I can be at times - CHEAP. A cemetary plot costs a lot of money - do you know how much is charged to "open and close that hole"? Sorry, NW, I do not mean to downplay the sentimentaity of it for you, but it is sort of what I have told my kids to do. Sort of.
There is one more hole in the graves my grandparents bought in 1932. I told them to keep whoever in the closet (ashes) until the other dies and then go up to the cemetary and "plant flowers" next to my Daddy and leave empty handed.
You are brilliant! (But you knew that....)

Well, since I've now gone a bit undergrond with my identity I can tell you my oddest request:
About 3 years ago, a gentleman called who had stayed here previously on his honeymoon with his second wife. He told me that his wife "Laura" loved this place so much and their time here was very special. He then tells me that "Laura" died in a tragic car accident. She fell asleep while driving. He wanted to know if he could bury her ashes here because that would have ment a lot to her. First I was shocked, and being totally caught off guard I didn't really have time to think, but I figured oh well, there's no harm to it, so I said ok. A few months later my doorbell rings. It turns out they had a memorial service for "Laura" near our location (Laura & Jack lived in a different state) and it was "Jack" who was here to bury the ashes. We discussed the best approach for doing this and we came up with a good location which had a sentimental memory for them. He had a wooden box with her ashes...I gave him a shovel and left him alone. After awhile, "Jack" came back and I spent some time with him walking around our grounds, listening to his stories of their life together. What a sweet man he was. I told him that any time he's back in our area he has an open invitation to come over and visit "Laura".
About 6 months later I received a phone call from a relative of "Jack". I was told that "Jack" was diagnosed with cancer and he had a short time to live. "Jack" had his relative call me to see if it would be ok for his family to bury his ashes here next to "Laura". Of course I said yes. Quite a bit of time passed, but then I got the call from the family and we arranged a time when they could come over, have a memorial near the area (no other guests were here). There were about 25 family members who came from several different states and they buried "Jack" next to "Laura" and said their goodbyes.
Of course this is an extreme case, but it really drives home how we can never really know how we affect people. The environment and connection we make with our guests remains long after they're gone. Even though it freaked me out at first, I am honored that "Jack" and "Laura" felt such a connection here and that we were able to provide their final resting place. Sometimes I think about them when I get snarky and irritated and forget that what we do matters..
gillumhouse said:
We have a similar plan with our ashes, but instead of "planting flowers" we told them just to flush.
smiley-toilet16.gif
(maybe flush twice)

gillumhouse said:
We have a similar plan with our ashes, but instead of "planting flowers" we told them just to flush.
smiley-toilet16.gif
(maybe flush twice)
Yea! I suggested that since that what I felt like most of my life, but it was rejected. Everyone was afraid of clogs. Right after I married DH I told him to just take me out in the back yard with a cn of gasoline and he went ballistic. I have no idea why. I thought I was being frugal. Of course gas was a lot cheaper then....

The oddest request we ever got was for a Romance Package for a son and his MOTHER. Graciously declined. Followed by an individual undergoing a sex change operation who wanted all body hair removed. Also, graciously declined..
tounge_smile.gif
ROFL
When you say "graciously declined", did you not rent to them or you just refused to spread rose leaves and you didn't shave that guest ?
teeth_smile.gif

I have had the safe question as well a few times but none lately. I think that most think about a hotel where leaving personal items out is really taking a chance. I had a couple here a few years ago from Detroit that were 'walk-ins'. They were upset we did not have a safe in the room. After being here for a while, I think they relaxed somewhat. When cleaning their room, I found a pair of nice earrings laying on the bed and mailed them to her. The card she sent thanking me was one of the nicest I ever received.
Ever since then DH has been trying to get me to buy a combination safe for each room. These are self setting combo locks with a master key, similar to those used on cruiselines. I just do not see the need since we are the only ones who enter the rooms. I keep telling him that if we put them in and added the safe as an amenity then some may wonder why - are we not in a safe area? Sure do not need to raise any ideas to make them look elsewhere..
You know, way back when, the hotels all just had a safe in the office where guests could deposit their valuables. why not use your safe and offer that possibility when they ask?

Ok, just got it now...guests who are staying Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights with us starting tomorrow. They stopped by just now to see if they could "check some things into their room", as they have to check out of their other b&b tomorrow at 10 am.
SO, you don't want to stay here tonight or pay anything, but you want to be able to access your room right now and at 10 am tomorrow? Hold on, let me check with the PEOPLE WHO ARE STAYING IN YOUR ROOM TONIGHT to see if they'd mind...
Bizarre..
I've had that one, too. Just drop their things off until they return a day or so later.
Thinking back on this, maybe the safe wasn't the oddest request. I think asking to have their tires delivered here was.
that actually happens here quite a bit with fall fishermen/women. They arrive at 5 am and want to be able to get into their cabin. Excuse me while I kick out the guests who have paid to spend the night in there so that you can put your food in the fridge, stupid. those are also the people who want to check out late. And how does that make sense, sir/madam? grrrrrrrrrrr

they were all from out of state, where did they spend the night? Hopefully not at the Best Western.
Sorry, I am a cynic, couldn't help myself. But you are right, one never knows how we affect others

The oddest request we ever got was for a Romance Package for a son and his MOTHER. Graciously declined. Followed by an individual undergoing a sex change operation who wanted all body hair removed. Also, graciously declined..
tounge_smile.gif
ROFL
When you say "graciously declined", did you not rent to them or you just refused to spread rose leaves and you didn't shave that guest ?
teeth_smile.gif

I referred him somewhere that could better meet his needs.

Maybe we all should come up with a euthanasia/cremation package.
smiley-whacky011.gif

You would have to start calling yourself a Bed, Dead & Breakfast.

smiley-whacky011.gif

You would have to start calling yourself a Bed, Dead & Breakfast..
Proud Texan said:
smiley-whacky011.gif

You would have to start calling yourself a Bed, Dead & Breakfast.
We have the author on this forum who wrote Dead and Breakfast.

Sheesh...I'm gone for 1 day and you go all cynical on me!
poke.gif

I do know a few people that would be that cheap, but not this guy. If I thought there was ulterior motive, I wouldn't have let them do the 2nd ("Jack") burial. They could have sprinkled both of them on the beach/ocean nearby as long as some ranger didn't catch them!

poke.gif

I do know a few people that would be that cheap, but not this guy. If I thought there was ulterior motive, I wouldn't have let them do the 2nd ("Jack") burial. They could have sprinkled both of them on the beach/ocean nearby as long as some ranger didn't catch them!
Yes, we are a cynical bunch, aren't we? Is that illegal to sprinkle on the beach?

poke.gif

Yes, we are a cynical bunch, aren't we? Is that illegal to sprinkle on the beach?
SweetiePie said:
Yup...technically it's illegal to spread them anywhere without some sort of permit.

poke.gif

SweetiePie said:
What you should do is pour the ashes in your swimming suit and go wading and just stand there until the surf has done it's work. Of course everyone will think your peeing in the ocean, so I guess it's better to move around.
smileystooges.gif

poke.gif

SweetiePie said:
What you should do is pour the ashes in your swimming suit and go wading and just stand there until the surf has done it's work. Of course everyone will think your peeing in the ocean, so I guess it's better to move around.
smileystooges.gif

The perfect burial ceremony for the deceased who's been a PITA all their life.

poke.gif

SweetiePie said:
smileystooges.gif

Proud Texan said:
SweetiePie said:
smileystooges.gif
EWWWWW...I don't want Aunt Bessie's ashes up my crack!
thumbs_down.gif

Back